Switching from Perscription Food

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Hello all,
Our 4.5 month old Wally has had soft stools since we got him at 10 weeks. A couple of weeks ago we swictched him to Purina EN Perscription food and his stools firmed up almost immediately. This is good but the color is almost yellow (exactly the same color as the food). Is this something I should be concerned about? He is eating and seems to be growing fine. Also, we don't want to keep him on this stuff too long. He was on Orijen Puppy before this but it just never agreed with him. Any suggestions on a next food? We were going to try California Natural but I'm open to suggestions. I guess we won't know until we try!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I would switch to Fromm grain free surf and turf or beef frigates. You can order online from petflow. I changed my two four month old bullies to it two months ago. No loose stools and hardly any gas. Less itching all around I'm impressed with it

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh and as far as the fromm, you dont need to go grain free, they have a great selection of 4 star formula that has grain. Unless you have an allergy problem with your pup that would be fine. Have heard Orijon has caused some loose stool with a few pups on here but it is a very good food. California natural wasnt bad, my boys were on it a while back but it wasnt perfect so I switched again. You will probably try many foods in your pups life trying to find what works good for him. Fromm does give a nice firm stool whereas other good foods we have tried didnt but it is more expensive than many other great foods also. I agree, look up the listed ratings to give a better idea of what you want to feed. Have always heard you should give 4 star or better in general. Welcome by the way we love pics so please share! :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi [MENTION=2087]pdac1975[/MENTION]..you should pm mbuxx..his Samson had tons of issues and just went off same prescription food Wally is on (I think)..he went to natures variety instinct..he will give you his ideas on this. Long slog sometimes with these guys. Nice to hear from you..

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Welcome [MENTION=2087]pdac1975[/MENTION] Glad you joined us here at EBN.

We use the fromm too ... the 4*range which is actually the highest range of food they have. Yes it's more expensive but you don't need to feed them as much!! Maggie is about 35-36lb and she gets 3/4 cup twice a day. Daddy is only 8 months old and so we still have him on higher dose .. he's about 45lb and we give 1 1/4 cup twice a day but will reduce that once he gets older.

You don't need to go grain free unless your bully has allergies too grain, and at 4.5 months that's too early to tell for a lot of bullies. We have used the Beef frittata and the Surf n Turf because I like to change up the flavours in the 4* range. We have discovered, by accident, that Daddy's horrendous farting almost completely disappears on the two grain free flavours so we're sticking with those two for the most part!!!!

Just remember that whenever you do decide to change foods to do so very slowly. Gradually increase the new food and reduce the old food over a number of days. I have always changed the amounts every 3 days because I'm extra cautious! A food change usually takes me 10 days -2 weeks to complete. :up:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I feed Mocha Natural Balance LID-Limited ingredients diet- She has a very sensitive system and I find she has thrived with this food. They have a wonderfull line of treats and Can food as well that you can mix for variety.I also like the Fromm treats they are great and She loves them.:up:

patricia

Apr 8, 2011
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Kairos
Hi my bully is 2 years now... he stared with royal canin - bulldog the puppy one and that worked when he was a puppy. Once it was time to switch him to the adult one(royal canine bulldog adult) it gave him loose stool and he had started getting allergies. We tried science diet and a couple of other foods but we ended up with Blue Buffalo and we like that one a lot and it helps him a lot with his allergies. You should choose a good healthy food for your bully!!! hope you find a great food for your baby :D

OP
pdac1975

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Thank you all for the great tips. I'm going to look into Fromm. It seems to be very popular around here. I'm looking forward to getting him off of the prescription food!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Sadly...prescription food doesn't get many stars in the rankings of dog quality. We made the switch from Purina OM Prescription food to TOTW But as you say FROMM is used by a large number of members with good results. Just make sure you switch over gradually by adding just a bit of the new food into the prescription food daily until eventually your giving more of the FROMM than the prescription stuff. Or it may see loose stools during the switch over...And...by the way LOVE your avatar photo of your pup...What a mug!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi there! looks like you got some good info. We too just switched Duke over to Nature's Variety Instinct food. At one time he was on prescription food also ( for allergies ) and his coat got very dry. I think you will see a huge difference on the new food . Good Luck. Your picture is so cute! :angel:

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh yes, as [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] has said, my samson was on the same perscription food. Purina EN Gastroenteric (sp?) i beleive. I did a very very gradual switch to natures variety instinct and have seen a miracle happen before my eyes lol. Im sure you would see the same results with fromm, i just chose natures variety because its what was available and i love the fact that its interchangeable. Samson had many issues, dry skin, bald spots, chewing his back legs all the time, and, well of course diarrhea, and now thats all gone. Its amazing what a good diet can do. I left him on perscription food for a good 2 months before i made the switch though, just to let his tummy settle.

little bugger got into some cat food now so we are about to start the whole runny :poo: thing over :bang:, lol.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.