Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reducing acidity of urine following kidney stone removal?

Bulldog Vet in Training
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Reducing acidity of urine following kidney stone removal?

Quote Originally Posted by Zedsded View Post
    Thanks for all the information Dollys Owner very informative and we are definitely going to give the potassium citrate a go but seems to be sold out everywhere at the moment.

The vet has mentioned that having Dudley neutered “could” help but said it wasn’t a certainty and have to say that would be a very last choice.

Duds has already been through CCL operation and Kidney stone operation in the last 8 months so really dont want to put him through another if we can control it another way

Prescription diet has also been mentioned but very tricky to find one that Duds can eat. He cant have, Beef, Lamb, Chicken or white fish!
    Castration leads to markedly decreased cystine excretion resulting in abolished risk for stone formation. I strongly recommend it as it will eliminate the problem. Castration is more minor of a procedure compared to spaying for females.

If you can in the meantime give a low protein diet and get the pH of the urine up you shouldn't need those special diets as they aren't very healthy anyways. There's also prescription medications such as the 2-MPG but they have some side effects.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

It is very important to be sure. My boy had urates. If your boy has cystines normally castration prevents renewall.
    Thanks for the info Siisi what kind of stones did your bully have ? Sounds like Dudleys may be different.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the information Dollys Owner very informative and we are definitely going to give the potassium citrate a go but seems to be sold out everywhere at the moment.

The vet has mentioned that having Dudley neutered “could” help but said it wasn’t a certainty and have to say that would be a very last choice.

Duds has already been through CCL operation and Kidney stone operation in the last 8 months so really dont want to put him through another if we can control it another way

Prescription diet has also been mentioned but very tricky to find one that Duds can eat. He cant have, Beef, Lamb, Chicken or white fish!
    Type III Cystinuria is testosterone driven which is why neutering takes care of the issue of stones. It usually affects adult, in tact males. Louie has cystinuria but he was neutered around 1 years old before any stones were formed.

I personally would stay away from any prescription diet. They are crap food.

Country
    Uk
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again everyone as always very helpful
    Check out our Fur Baby shop Lots of Bulldog gifts and hopefully lots more to come!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MyFurBabyShop

5. Likes 2BullyMama, Dollys Owner liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads