Sofia

Jul 9, 2018
Athens,Greece
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
Kyla
Hello everyone
I dont have much experience adout dogs food but i always try to search the best for Kyla.We finally choose Acana (west coast ) and until now she loves her food. It has 29% protein it the lowest level in acana.we also choose that because she was limping for short period (when kyla was 8 months )and the doctor suggest us to stop puppy food and start adult food.

The only thing that make me doudt adout that brand is the high level of protein. many people (especially at pet shops) say me that acana is not good for dogs in Greece because the climate is very warm here even in the winter and the dog dont have need of so much protein.

This week Kyla has difficulty when she urinate so we went to our vet.He said that the ph of her urine was 8.5 ang she has crystals .so we start a antibiotic for 15 days. It is the first time we face that problem. that insident make me worry more about her food. i dont know if her food can cause her problems with her kidneys.

thank you in advance

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello everyone
I dont have much experience adout dogs food but i always try to search the best for Kyla.We finally choose Acana (west coast ) and until now she loves her food. It has 29% protein it the lowest level in acana.we also choose that because she was limping for short period (when kyla was 8 months )and the doctor suggest us to stop puppy food and start adult food.

The only thing that make me doudt adout that brand is the high level of protein. many people (especially at pet shops) say me that acana is not good for dogs in Greece because the climate is very warm here even in the winter and the dog dont have need of so much protein.

This week Kyla has difficulty when she urinate so we went to our vet.He said that the ph of her urine was 8.5 ang she has crystals .so we start a antibiotic for 15 days. It is the first time we face that problem. that insident make me worry more about her food. i dont know if her food can cause her problems with her kidneys.

thank you in advance

???

Africa is way hotter than Greece. Tigers/Lions etc would be all dead if they had no proteins. Dogs are carnivores not farm animals. Make sure the % of the protein is mostly meat. Acana is one of the best kibbles out there. Your pet shop should learn their facts before telling customers a ridiculous comment like they did.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello everyone

thank you in advance

What type of crystals? Did the vet say?
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
The type of crystals is very important to know before saying anything.

OP
Sofia

Sofia

Jul 9, 2018
Athens,Greece
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
Kyla
Unfortunately i don't know exactly. My vet called me to tell me the results and i dont know the details.Tomorrow i plan to see him to get the whole result and inform him about Kyla.

Even now after 4 days of antibiotics the symtoms didnt improved only little.Kyla seems to be tired all the time and sleeps all day.I dont know if is due to hot weather.Air condition is always open.

The food we give her is https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-foods/classics/wild-coast/.
It has 50% fish .Maybe we must choose a type with 70% meat which is the higher in acana.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Unfortunately i don't know exactly. My vet called me to tell me the results and i dont know the details.Tomorrow i plan to see him to get the whole result and inform him about Kyla.

Even now after 4 days of antibiotics the symtoms didnt improved only little.Kyla seems to be tired all the time and sleeps all day.I dont know if is due to hot weather.Air condition is always open.

The food we give her is https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-foods/classics/wild-coast/.
It has 50% fish .Maybe we must choose a type with 70% meat which is the higher in acana.

Sorry I didn’t reply to your crystal question. Nyala my brindle when she was around 5-6 months old had struvite crystals. It’s the most common one you find in dogs n cats. Like mentioned it’s important to know which kind. Back then Nyala’s struvite crystals kept coming n going. Struvite crystals usually starts with a bladder infection. “IF” it’s struvite your dog has,
simply home cook for her. Took a week on home cooking n Nyala ‘s SC were gone completely. I use to boil a big turkey for over 8hrs. Keep the broth!!! I added fresh veggies, broth n turkey n that was her meals. Vet wanted to give me Royal Canin and that was completely out of the question. A couple months later I re-introduce her back to her Acana kibbles n never had issues after that. Back then I only bought the “one protein “ bags and rotate the bags to a different protein each time. As I can monitor as she grew IF she had an allergy to a protein. None of my dogs ever had allergies to anything. Very important you change proteins after each bag are done. Builds their immune system. Nowadays they only eat raw.

Again you need to know what kind of crystals. :)

OP
Sofia

Sofia

Jul 9, 2018
Athens,Greece
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
Kyla
I know that home cooking is more healthier way to feed our sweethearts but due to work ,it is very difficult for me.
But it is sure that i try to give her home cooked food in order to overcome that problem.The good thing is that she never had allergies to anything and she loves her food.

I am searching also for Wellness Core as an option.I would like to hear your opinion about that brand..please

I am thinking to give her plain yoghurt with her meal or supplement with cramberries. At least i tried to give her ice cubes for the first time today and she loved them so much.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Depending on type of crystals, raw might be good...full of moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I know that home cooking is more healthier way to feed our sweethearts but due to work ,it is very difficult for me.
But it is sure that i try to give her home cooked food in order to overcome that problem.The good thing is that she never had allergies to anything and she loves her food.

I am searching also for Wellness Core as an option.I would like to hear your opinion about that brand..please

I am thinking to give her plain yoghurt with her meal or supplement with cramberries. At least i tried to give her ice cubes for the first time today and she loved them so much.

What to look for....

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/food/whole-dog-journals-approved-dry-dog-food-list/

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.