Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dry food and protein

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper Sofia's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sofia
    Country
    Greece
    Location
    Athens,Greece
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kyla
    Likes (Received)
    19

    Default Dry food and protein

    Hello everyone
    I dont have much experience adout dogs food but i always try to search the best for Kyla.We finally choose Acana (west coast ) and until now she loves her food. It has 29% protein it the lowest level in acana.we also choose that because she was limping for short period (when kyla was 8 months )and the doctor suggest us to stop puppy food and start adult food.

    The only thing that make me doudt adout that brand is the high level of protein. many people (especially at pet shops) say me that acana is not good for dogs in Greece because the climate is very warm here even in the winter and the dog dont have need of so much protein.

    This week Kyla has difficulty when she urinate so we went to our vet.He said that the ph of her urine was 8.5 ang she has crystals .so we start a antibiotic for 15 days. It is the first time we face that problem. that insident make me worry more about her food. i dont know if her food can cause her problems with her kidneys.

    thank you in advance

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,438
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11467

    Default Re: Dry food and protein

    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia View Post
    Hello everyone
    I dont have much experience adout dogs food but i always try to search the best for Kyla.We finally choose Acana (west coast ) and until now she loves her food. It has 29% protein it the lowest level in acana.we also choose that because she was limping for short period (when kyla was 8 months )and the doctor suggest us to stop puppy food and start adult food.

    The only thing that make me doudt adout that brand is the high level of protein. many people (especially at pet shops) say me that acana is not good for dogs in Greece because the climate is very warm here even in the winter and the dog dont have need of so much protein.

    This week Kyla has difficulty when she urinate so we went to our vet.He said that the ph of her urine was 8.5 ang she has crystals .so we start a antibiotic for 15 days. It is the first time we face that problem. that insident make me worry more about her food. i dont know if her food can cause her problems with her kidneys.

    thank you in advance
    ???

    Africa is way hotter than Greece. Tigers/Lions etc would be all dead if they had no proteins. Dogs are carnivores not farm animals. Make sure the % of the protein is mostly meat. Acana is one of the best kibbles out there. Your pet shop should learn their facts before telling customers a ridiculous comment like they did.

  3. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
  4. #3
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    44,567
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15795

    Default Re: Dry food and protein

    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia View Post
    Hello everyone
    I dont have much experience adout dogs food but i always try to search the best for Kyla.We finally choose Acana (west coast ) and until now she loves her food. It has 29% protein it the lowest level in acana.we also choose that because she was limping for short period (when kyla was 8 months )and the doctor suggest us to stop puppy food and start adult food.

    The only thing that make me doudt adout that brand is the high level of protein. many people (especially at pet shops) say me that acana is not good for dogs in Greece because the climate is very warm here even in the winter and the dog dont have need of so much protein.

    This week Kyla has difficulty when she urinate so we went to our vet.He said that the ph of her urine was 8.5 ang she has crystals .so we start a antibiotic for 15 days. It is the first time we face that problem. that insident make me worry more about her food. i dont know if her food can cause her problems with her kidneys.

    thank you in advance
    What type of crystals? Did the vet say?
    @RiiSi @Cbrugs


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  5. #4
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,865
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    3085

    Default Re: Dry food and protein

    The type of crystals is very important to know before saying anything.

  6. Likes helsonwheels, Cbrugs liked this post
  7. #5
    Pooper scooper Sofia's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sofia
    Country
    Greece
    Location
    Athens,Greece
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kyla
    Likes (Received)
    19

    Default Re: Dry food and protein

    Unfortunately i don't know exactly. My vet called me to tell me the results and i dont know the details.Tomorrow i plan to see him to get the whole result and inform him about Kyla.

    Even now after 4 days of antibiotics the symtoms didnt improved only little.Kyla seems to be tired all the time and sleeps all day.I dont know if is due to hot weather.Air condition is always open.

    The food we give her is https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-food...cs/wild-coast/.
    It has 50% fish .Maybe we must choose a type with 70% meat which is the higher in acana.

  8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  9. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,438
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11467

    Default Re: Dry food and protein

    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia View Post
    Unfortunately i don't know exactly. My vet called me to tell me the results and i dont know the details.Tomorrow i plan to see him to get the whole result and inform him about Kyla.

    Even now after 4 days of antibiotics the symtoms didnt improved only little.Kyla seems to be tired all the time and sleeps all day.I dont know if is due to hot weather.Air condition is always open.

    The food we give her is https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-food...cs/wild-coast/.
    It has 50% fish .Maybe we must choose a type with 70% meat which is the higher in acana.
    Sorry I didn’t reply to your crystal question. Nyala my brindle when she was around 5-6 months old had struvite crystals. It’s the most common one you find in dogs n cats. Like mentioned it’s important to know which kind. Back then Nyala’s struvite crystals kept coming n going. Struvite crystals usually starts with a bladder infection. “IF” it’s struvite your dog has,
    simply home cook for her. Took a week on home cooking n Nyala ‘s SC were gone completely. I use to boil a big turkey for over 8hrs. Keep the broth!!! I added fresh veggies, broth n turkey n that was her meals. Vet wanted to give me Royal Canin and that was completely out of the question. A couple months later I re-introduce her back to her Acana kibbles n never had issues after that. Back then I only bought the “one protein “ bags and rotate the bags to a different protein each time. As I can monitor as she grew IF she had an allergy to a protein. None of my dogs ever had allergies to anything. Very important you change proteins after each bag are done. Builds their immune system. Nowadays they only eat raw.

    Again you need to know what kind of crystals.

  10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  11. #7
    Pooper scooper Sofia's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sofia
    Country
    Greece
    Location
    Athens,Greece
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kyla
    Likes (Received)
    19

    Default Re: Dry food and protein

    I know that home cooking is more healthier way to feed our sweethearts but due to work ,it is very difficult for me.
    But it is sure that i try to give her home cooked food in order to overcome that problem.The good thing is that she never had allergies to anything and she loves her food.

    I am searching also for Wellness Core as an option.I would like to hear your opinion about that brand..please

    I am thinking to give her plain yoghurt with her meal or supplement with cramberries. At least i tried to give her ice cubes for the first time today and she loved them so much.

  12. #8
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,110
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    5317

    Default Re: Dry food and protein

    Depending on type of crystals, raw might be good...full of moisture.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  14. #9
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,438
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    11467

    Default Re: Dry food and protein

    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia View Post
    I know that home cooking is more healthier way to feed our sweethearts but due to work ,it is very difficult for me.
    But it is sure that i try to give her home cooked food in order to overcome that problem.The good thing is that she never had allergies to anything and she loves her food.

    I am searching also for Wellness Core as an option.I would like to hear your opinion about that brand..please

    I am thinking to give her plain yoghurt with her meal or supplement with cramberries. At least i tried to give her ice cubes for the first time today and she loved them so much.
    What to look for....

    https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/fo...dog-food-list/

  15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •