General Question Looking for a plant based omega 3 supplement

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Hi. Turns out my guy is allergic to fish oil. Can someone recommend a plant based replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi. Turns out my guy is allergic to fish oil. Can someone recommend a plant based replacement?

Allergic to fish n you live in BC. Unlucky little guy :) The highest is Chia Seeds which is 4,915 mg per Serving. It’s very rich in manganese, calcium, phosphorus and lots of other nutrients.

So 1-ounce is 28-gram serving of chia seeds contains 4 grams of protein, including all eight essential amino acids.

Omega-3 content: 4,915 mg per ounce (28 grams) . So there go with that one.

Hmmm wait...also flax seeds, seaweed/algae... oh and eggs

Hope this helps. :)

I use to live in White Rock. Love Van!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I can find that in one product? Same benefits as salmon oil?

Stick to chia seeds. Yes benefits are the same as salmon n more. Below is a good article so you understand better.
I also add every other day a teaspoon of hemp oil in their food but flax seed oil is just as great if not a tad better. But to be equal to salmon I go with chia seeds.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/chia-for-pets/

I will post this article in my holistic thread

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chia Seeds Are High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids. ALA needs to be converted into the active forms eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) "and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) before your body can use it. ... Studies have shown that chia seeds — especially if they're milled — can increase blood levels of ALA and EPA but not DHA

I doubt very much you can give algae or spirulina if he’s allergic to fish. Personally I would stay away from anything that comes from any body of water if allergies towards fish. Yes you can try it and see what happens. DHA and EPA are found in fish and other seafood. BTW Is he allergic to shellfish?

Eggs naturally contain small amounts of DHA, but new DHA enriched eggs can contain up to 57mg of DHA per egg. So for now stick to eggs. Basically it’s more important to have EPA than DHA to reduce cellular inflammation.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
You won't get same benefits as fish oil by feeding chia seed oil or flax seed oil. Chia seed oil doesn't contain DHA ( just EPA and ALA ) and flax seed just contains ALA. Try a non GMO algae oil such as Nordic Naturals. https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Naturals-Algae-Omega-Vegetarian/dp/B009KTUGSS?th=1

I did look these up and have you used for your dogs? As ya know, im a rotator and besides switching through the hemp oil as well, I was thinking of giving this a shot. What wold i give my 44 lb Hank :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I did look these up and have you used for your dogs? As ya know, im a rotator and besides switching through the hemp oil as well, I was thinking of giving this a shot. What wold i give my 44 lb Hank :)

I haven't tried it since I've been feeding real fish (sprat) for the past while, and before that I was using fish oil capsules. Based on estimated dose range of 20-55 mg/pound/day of combined EPA/DHA I'd feed Hank 2 capsules/day = 1170 mg EPA/DHA

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Chia Seeds Are High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids. ALA needs to be converted into the active forms eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) "and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) before your body can use it. ... Studies have shown that chia seeds — especially if they're milled — can increase blood levels of ALA and EPA but not DHA

I doubt very much you can give algae or spirulina if he’s allergic to fish. Personally I would stay away from anything that comes from any body of water if allergies towards fish. Yes you can try it and see what happens. DHA and EPA are found in fish and other seafood. BTW Is he allergic to shellfish?

Eggs naturally contain small amounts of DHA, but new DHA enriched eggs can contain up to 57mg of DHA per egg. So for now stick to eggs. Basically it’s more important to have EPA than DHA to reduce cellular inflammation.

Quoting the allergy test - “Fish Mix=Catfish, Cod, Herring, Mackerel, White Fish“. Allergic to eggs too.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Quoting the allergy test - “Fish Mix=Catfish, Cod, Herring, Mackerel, White Fish“. Allergic to eggs too. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eggs too? Geez poor thing. 2 friends of mine are the opposite of one another. One is allergic to shellfish n not fish n the other one the opposite. Have you ever tried shellfish with Salo? Crab, lobster, prawns etc.. expensive meals I know. Lucky Salo if he can do shellfish lol.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online