EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hi! My English bulldog Bella is almost 8 months old. She is my first English Bulldog. She has been on Purina Pro Plan. I recently came across this site and read about Purina not being a good choice. So I tried changing her dog food to Fromm Grain free Heartland gold. I started the transition on this past Sunday. Yesterday she seemed to have a few bumps on arms and sides. I called vet and was told to give her 1 1/2 pills of Benadryl. This morning she woke up with hives a lot larger then day before. I gave her some more Benadryl. The vet told me to give her til Friday and then if it doesn't go away take her in. I'm not sure if it was the food or could it be a new shampoo (Chi shampoo & Condioner) I used on her on Sunday. Those are the only new things that I could think of that's causing her to have hives. My question is could it be one of those two things? Or is it something else because it was three days later that she broke out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi! My English bulldog Bella is almost 8 months old. She is my first English Bulldog. She has been on Purina Pro Plan. I recently came across this site and read about Purina not being a good choice. So I tried changing her dog food to Fromm Grain free Heartland gold. I started the transition on this past Sunday. Yesterday she seemed to have a few bumps on arms and sides. I called vet and was told to give her 1 1/2 pills of Benadryl. This morning she woke up with hives a lot larger then day before. I gave her some more Benadryl. The vet told me to give her til Friday and then if it doesn't go away take her in. I'm not sure if it was the food or could it be a new shampoo (Chi shampoo & Condioner) I used on her on Sunday. Those are the only new things that I could think of that's causing her to have hives. My question is could it be one of those two things? Or is it something else because it was three days later that she broke out.

It could also be a bee sting or bug bite.... how is her breathing?

My girl had this happen twice... it can be scary. I would not use the shampoo again, and see how she does with the food

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Hello there and welcome!!!

I’m sure it’s the shampoos. I only use a Castor soap and will add a few drops of lavender in it. Chi products are very strong in perfumes. Re-wash Bella with a natural soap n NO perfumes or for now go to Walmart get Burt's Bees dog shampoo. Rinse her throughly with water but add Apple Cider Vinegar. ACV will remove all residues on her skin. Fromm is a high quality kibbles. And if you do go to the vet n they suggest Royal Canin or Science Hill DONT feed that to your dog. I just posted a recall on Science Hill for an extended recall cause of high dose of vitamin D. Plus vets gets a payback for each bag the sell. Simply say no n stay on Fromm as you did 2 new things same day so you need to narrow it down. Don’t add more new “anything”. Keep us posted. Btw, Benadryl is 25mg for each 25lb dog weight.

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
It was scary seeing her that way. I wasn't sure exactly what it was so I stopped giving her the Fromm dog food & definitely will not use the Chi shampoo again. Her breathing is normal.

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I've learned so much on this site about the high quality food that I wanted to try Fromm but I didn't realize I had tried two new things on same day until it was too late. How long does it usually take for hives to completely go away?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sorry to hear about the hives- I checked out ingredients in the Fromm- so many ingredients, hard to tell if your dog is allergic to one of them eg. beef, pork, lamb
I would go back to the ProPlan for now until the hives go away, make sure you keep using the benadryl 1mg/pound 2- 3 times a day till they do.
In the future consider a limited ingredient dog food like Acana Singles,Earthborne Holistic Venture Line, or Zignature, and go with a different protein such as duck.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would try a single protein food, easier to figure if an issue happens. From does have a Four Star line which I believe has single proteins if you wanted to stick to Fromm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I will continue giving the Pro Plan until the hives go away. I just wanted to switch her food to make sure she was getting all her nutrients. I just want her feeling better. Its heart breaking seeing her that way.

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I would try a single protein food, easier to figure if an issue happens. From does have a Four Star line which I believe has single proteins if you wanted to stick to Fromm.

I will definitely look into that once her hives go away. Thank you so much for the great advice!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I will continue giving the Pro Plan until the hives go away. I just wanted to switch her food to make sure she was getting all her nutrients. I just want her feeling better. Its heart breaking seeing her that way.

Great advice above. Once hives are gone which they will, yes definitely go with one protein per bag n IF any allergies it will be easier for you to determine what bella can’t have. Keep us posted.

OP
E

EGatica

May 6, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Great advice above. Once hives are gone which they will, yes definitely go with one protein per bag n IF any allergies it will be easier for you to determine what bella can’t have. Keep us posted.

I'm glad to hear that! Again thank you all for the great advice. I will keep you all posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It was scary seeing her that way. I wasn't sure exactly what it was so I stopped giving her the Fromm dog food & definitely will not use the Chi shampoo again. Her breathing is normal.

Try the Fromm pork and peas... the heartland line is great but has multiple proteins on the blend

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
As far as shampoos are concerned...
Johnson's Baby Shampoo works great unless dealing with a very greasy coat...then we use Dawn Dishwashing liquid. If it's safe for oil-soaked Ducks and Shore birds it's good enough for dogs.
BTW, no matter what you use for shampooing, make sure you rinse it ALL off...then rinse again to make sure. ANY residue can react with skin and cause itching, irritation, hot spots. That's why we like Dawn so much...excellent rinsing qualities.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online