on bland diet and no bowel movement ? what to do

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
not sure if you read my thread under bulldog health.. but poor Duke had a rough last couple days.. was at the ER on Friday night could not stop vomiting.. all to our surprise to poop out a TOY of Saturday morning! ( he had had diarrhea for 2-3 days and we thought it was from the change in food ) thank GOD that part is over .. so have him on the bland diet and waiting to VERY slowly add NVI back in in a few days.. now he hasn't gone poop since yesterday morning when he passed the toy? he is peeing and acting great again.. not sure if the RICE is binding him?? my question is when would I add or introduce the NVI? Also his face is VERY red since I started with the boiled chicken? :confused:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi @ babyduke..I would expect he has gone enough in last few days..so probably ok to let him work through this. Jake was on rice diet for 6 days..totally unrelated to duke..after he had normal poop, my vet said to verrry slowly reintroduce kibble. Worked for us. Poor duke..has some mending to do!

Also...I skipped chicken..used a little rice water for first day..afraid he might react to chicken..I did boil chicken and cooked the rice in the chicken water..just chickened out on chicken! Lol

Last edited:
OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi @ babyduke..I would expect he has gone enough in last few days..so probably ok to let him work through this. Jake was on rice diet for 6 days..totally unrelated to duke..after he had normal poop, my vet said to verrry slowly reintroduce kibble. Worked for us. Poor duke..has some mending to do!

Also...I skipped chicken..used a little rice water for first day..afraid he might react to chicken..I did boil chicken and cooked the rice in the chicken water..just chickened out on chicken! Lol
Was wondering about adding some cottage cheese.. I read some others do this. I agree the poor thing has been through WAR these past few days.. :bang: I am just glad the worst is over.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I think it will take him a bit to get over his stomach issues from the weekend. Vegas ate one of my gloves a few months ago, vomited it out one day and had explosive diarrhea the next day, then I think went two days with out :poo:, you said his face is really red from the boiled chicken?? Vegas has an allergy/intolerance to chicken as many bullys do from what I have read on this site, perhaps change to hamburger and rice instead. I hope poor Duke gets everything back in working order soon for you, I swear they can worry you more than a child!

Last edited:
OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I think it will take him a bit to get over his stomach issues from the weekend. Vegas ate on of my gloves a few months ago, vomited it out one day and had explosive diarrhea the next day, then I think went two days with out :poo:, you said his face is really red from the boiled chicken?? Vegas has an allergy/intolerance to chicken as many bullys do from what I have read on this site, perhaps change to hamburger and rice instead. I hope poor Duke gets everything back in working order soon for you, I swear they can worry you more than a child!
you took the words right out of my mouth.. I do worry about this dog so much.. Friday was just so awful to see him like that.
When you boil the hamburger how long do you boil it for? i have never done this.. only chicken?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yup..I would try cottage cheese..plain natural yogurt works too as a probiotic..just a teaspoon mixed in with rice..I still give Jake some couple times a week.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You know we ..years ago ..gave hamburger and cottage cheese to a couple sick dobies. We bought best low fat ground beef we could and fried with no oil..can add water on pan if you want..just enough to brown..then mix with cottage cheese and rice..wouldn't give too much beef all at once..start slow..

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh thankfully he passed it ok and there were no complications! What toy was it, how big?!?! Dang bullies will eat anything it is just too scary! As for the tummy problems I would say maybe add in a little bit of pumpkin also. It works when they have the runs but it also works when they are constipated, just balances them out evenly. I agree he may not have to go for a bit if he had the runs. I think it takes some time to build back up to normal. As for the beef just boil till it is cooked and not pink. Being beef I wouldnt think it need be for very long really.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The bland diet probably helped pass the toy.... imagine what would have happened if it got obstructed? See, everything happens for a reason.....this whole ordeal was meant to be!!! no more beating yourself up you hear?

As everyone said, just boil the hamburger in water, just as you would chicken.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I was wondering how he was doing as well. What kind of toy did he eat? How did the hamburger work out?

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi everyone.. I had work last night and did not get on the computer .. sorry.
Duke is much much better and back to himself. I still have him on the bland diet but no poopie yet? Vet does not seem concerned said to give it another full day? Last bowel was Saturday :confused:

was wondering when I should start to add some of his NVI food in? he is sooooooooooooo hungry..
:hug:
but he is really doing well and I appreciate everyone checking in!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Good morning! Well I think I would start now..maybe 1/8 of a cup..mixed with rice mixture you are giving him. Do that for a couple feedings then 1/4 cup for couple days. Just go slow...once he poos ..still go slow. I would take 2weeks to get him totally on nevi and off rice mixture. 1/4 cup at a time..

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Good morning! Well I think I would start now..maybe 1/8 of a cup..mixed with rice mixture you are giving him. Do that for a couple feedings then 1/4 cup for couple days. Just go slow...once he poos ..still go slow. I would take 2weeks to get him totally on nevi and off rice mixture. 1/4 cup at a time..
ok this is kind of what I was thinking.. I think after last weekend I am PARANOID! ha ha :whew:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.