General Question Grain Free Diets for Dogs

Lookyhere

Apr 10, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
Recently I've been hearing more of the conversation that grain free diets can cause heart issues for dogs. My English Bully Darla is almost 3 and we've been feeding her Fromm Surf and Turf for awhile now. We did have her on the Fromm gold for adults for awhile. She didn't have any issues with the grains in that particular food. Is this something anyone else has done research on and has some insight for me? I've been thinking about switching her back to something that has grains but staying with Fromm because she loves it and from what I've read it's one of the better dry foods out there . All comments are greatly appreciate and I hope everyone and their bullies have a wonderful day. :]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Recently I've been hearing more of the conversation that grain free diets can cause heart issues for dogs. My English Bully Darla is almost 3 and we've been feeding her Fromm Surf and Turf for awhile now. We did have her on the Fromm gold for adults for awhile. She didn't have any issues with the grains in that particular food. Is this something anyone else has done research on and has some insight for me? I've been thinking about switching her back to something that has grains but staying with Fromm because she loves it and from what I've read it's one of the better dry foods out there . All comments are greatly appreciate and I hope everyone and their bullies have a wonderful day. :]

It is not an issue.. Iā€™ll find the article from Dr. Becker and post. The missing taurine is added I. To high quality kibble like Fromm.

You can also give a can of no salt in water sardines to supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Hello and Welcome!!!

Basically youā€™re reading what vets want you to believe in like grains is no good. What vets promotes are their Royal Canin or Science Hills which is fit for cows n plus vets gets a payback on each bag they sell. Like Christine mentioned, Fromm is a great quality kibble. Donā€™t worry about it. Plus.....In the real world of the wild, they all eat raw protein.

Found it [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...09/19/food-related-heart-disease-in-dogs.aspx

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
There is also an article that says not to freak out about it and they have yet to find the cause to seeing more DCM issues. Iā€™ll try to find the article tomorrow.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Until a comprehensive REAL study is done(with 1000s of dogs over many years) any conclusions are, at best, a wild guess. Drawing conclusions based on guesswork and delivering to the public is beyond irresponsible.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you for posting this thread... this has been on my mind since the articles are ALL over the internet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and Welcome!!!

Basically youā€™re reading what vets want you to believe in like grains is no good. What vets promotes are their Royal Canin or Science Hills which is fit for cows n plus vets gets a payback on each bag they sell. Like Christine mentioned, Fromm is a great quality kibble. Donā€™t worry about it. Plus.....In the real world of the wild, they all eat raw protein.

Found it [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...09/19/food-related-heart-disease-in-dogs.aspx

Thank you!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
As I understand it, it's not not really about 'grain free' or not per se, but that there are indications that high levels of legumes might be an issue.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.