StellasMomma

Mar 20, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Hi there! I am new here and currently looking for suggestions on low fat dog foods for my heavy girl. I switched her to TOTW about 4 months ago but I am seeing that the fat content is around 18% and I have been reading that I should have put her on something that has less than 12% fat content....So far I am reading that CORE Wellness Grain Free might be good considering it has about 37% proteins, fat level of 11%, and carb level of about 44%.

HELP!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi there! I am new here and currently looking for suggestions on low fat dog foods for my heavy girl. I switched her to TOTW about 4 months ago but I am seeing that the fat content is around 18% and I have been reading that I should have put her on something that has less than 12% fat content....So far I am reading that CORE Wellness Grain Free might be good considering it has about 37% proteins, fat level of 11%, and carb level of about 44%.

HELP!

Hello and Welcome!!

Rule of thumb. Good Fats does NOT make a dog fat (nor humans) itā€™s the carbs! Carbs turns into sugars. Btw, TOTW has recently had recalls.

A dog needs high protein, fat n lesscarbs. Also need to check the calories. If she needs to lose weight is eat less n add fiber like fresh green beans, absolutely needs a clean gut so need to add 1 tablespoon of fermented sauerkraut (fridge section ) in her meals. How many cups is she eating per day and what are her treats n how many? Does she exercise?

OP
S

StellasMomma

Mar 20, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Hello and Welcome!!

Rule of thumb. Good Fats does NOT make a dog fat (nor humans) itā€™s the carbs! Carbs turns into sugars. Btw, TOTW has recently had recalls.

A dog needs high protein, fat n lesscarbs. Also need to check the calories. If she needs to lose weight is eat less n add fiber like fresh green beans, absolutely needs a clean gut so need to add 1 tablespoon of fermented sauerkraut (fridge section ) in her meals. How many cups is she eating per day and what are her treats n how many? Does she exercise?

Yes, just by creating my account here yesterday Iā€™ve seen all of the info on TOTW having recalls, scary! I have tried to feed her fresh green beans but she will not touch them. Maybe i can look for an alternative... and I will pick up some sauerkraut today. Right now she eats about 2-2.5 cups per day split between two feedings. As for her treats, i give her the grain free pumpkin treats from petco at the self serve station. She does exercise but not much, I am definitely going to increase her activity from one 10 minute walk to two and pick up some balls to throw in the backyard. 4BBFFD4A-F440-4D4C-A2DF-26DC3A17DB2E.jpeg8855AB17-CFBC-43B1-8645-81F057E4C0F9.jpeg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, just by creating my account here yesterday Iā€™ve seen all of the info on TOTW having recalls, scary! I have tried to feed her fresh green beans but she will not touch them. Maybe i can look for an alternative... and I will pick up some sauerkraut today. Right now she eats about 2-2.5 cups per day split between two feedings. As for her treats, i give her the grain free pumpkin treats from petco at the self serve station. She does exercise but not much, I am definitely going to increase her activity from one 10 minute walk to two and pick up some balls to throw in the backyard. View attachment 115900View attachment 115899

Sheā€™s beautiful!!! Youā€™re feeding her too much. Go with 3/4 cups 2x a day only especially if she needs to lose weight. If you can change her kibbles to one protein per bag like Acana which has tripe in it will benefit her as she needs a good probiotic in her. My dogs are on the slimmer side as I want to keep them there. Both eat raw which also keeps them lean n both walk 3-4 km when weather permits. If not, I sure make them move in the backyard.

OP
S

StellasMomma

Mar 20, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Ok great I will look into Acana. Can you give me some insight on what raw foods you feed and where you pick up? I have thought about maybe switching to raw if it will benefit her but I am hesitant on where to start.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok great I will look into Acana. Can you give me some insight on what raw foods you feed and where you pick up? I have thought about maybe switching to raw if it will benefit her but I am hesitant on where to start.

Iā€™m in Canada so other members will help you as we donā€™t have the same raw here. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION], they order online. Some raw will come with veggies n fruits but I prefer none in the raw I buy. I rather give my dogs my own veggies n fruits as I rather have control on them. I know some might not agree but personally buying veggies and fruits already in the raw is simply like a filler. Good filler but I can do it myself.

OP
S

StellasMomma

Mar 20, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Thank you all for your input!!! Iā€™m excited to see her weight loss journey over the next couple months!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I usually rotate between a few brands. Vital Essentials, Tucker's, Answers, Primal, Stella & Chewy's. Steve's and Small Batch are also some brands. You will find these brands at a more specialized boutique kind of pet store and not at a Petsmart or Petco.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try frozen green beans.. they have a different texture and might help.

I feed raw, but it is a local small company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Yes, just by creating my account here yesterday Iā€™ve seen all of the info on TOTW having recalls, scary! I have tried to feed her fresh green beans but she will not touch them. Maybe i can look for an alternative... and I will pick up some sauerkraut today. Right now she eats about 2-2.5 cups per day split between two feedings. As for her treats, i give her the grain free pumpkin treats from petco at the self serve station. She does exercise but not much, I am definitely going to increase her activity from one 10 minute walk to two and pick up some balls to throw in the backyard. View attachment 115900View attachment 115899

Sheā€™s beautiful even though a bit of a chubette. My dogs like baby carrots. They eat Zignature kibble, mostly fish flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online