jpimienta91

Mar 13, 2019
Miami, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hello All,

New to posting but have been reading the forum for some time! I have a new english bulldog princess named "Bailey" who is as stubborn as it gets when it comes to eating. Overall shes a healthy and beautiful puppy, EXTREMELY energetic, and has a nice soft coat. But just wont eat a normal amount. When I got her at 7 1/2 weeks she was 9 1/2 pounds and eating Royal canin. I bought one 12 lb bag to switch her off after transitioning to her new home and got her on merrick. At first she would eat some but now she just eats a couple and walks away until i give in and sit down and hand feed her a bit but still will only eat a handfull. Did some research on high calorie kibbles and came accross "Bully Max" which was 535 calories per cup and had 5 stars on dogadvisor. Also got the gorilla max powder supplement and pills mostly for the vitamins and nutrients. Hates it all aswell lol Only way she eats the powder gorilla max is mixed with plain yogurt and the pills she just spits out. Only food items she seems to love is a boiled egg with shell that i give her about 4-5 times a week and plain greek yogurt. I also give her salmon oil. Im afraid shes not getting enough calories per day as a pup and with how active she is it worries me. Went home after a meeting to feed her today and got some organic natural peanut butter with lowest sodium possible and come mozzarella cheese. She licked the peanut butter but right away got itchy and was rubbing paw and head on floor so i tossed that out. She did like the mozzarella cheese but im not going to feed her a bunch of junk either. Any advice on how to get my pup to eat her kibbles ??? I mix the kibbles with plain yogurt and she will eat it just because its mixed but not near the amount needed. Was thinking of switching her to boiled chicken and throw in a little bit of plain white rice and chicken broth with some puree veggies. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated !

OP
J

jpimienta91

Mar 13, 2019
Miami, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
52676E2D-40AC-4E2C-B65A-70CAF1B69C14.jpeg507930DC-4A55-438B-87C0-A41A571CD274.jpegC97CF25A-2B76-4802-8276-B65462B9E13A.jpeg2CD1BB68-91CF-4FF7-AEF0-408FA11B0669.jpeg1AFBFB3D-0676-40F7-ABD6-BFDC8506CA6E.jpeg

Here are some pictures of my bailey! first one is second day bringing her home at about 8 weeks already! Next are from saturdday and sunday

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
J

jpimienta91

Mar 13, 2019
Miami, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Welcome to EBN!!

How much and how often do you feed? How long do you leave dish for her to eat? Where are you feeding her?

Which protein of Merrick are you feeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. From the merrick food i used the chicken and sweet potato recipe for puppies. the bully max uses chicken aswell so now thinking about it she might not like chicken! I feed her 3 times a day about 3/4 cup in the bowl but she just smells and goes away :( tonight im giving her some ground beef cooked with some white rice and salmon oil from a spoon on the side with a bit of yogurt and right before bed a lick of Tomlyn nutri cal high calorie ( I know this stuff is junk just worried she burns to many calories) Aside from being a picky eater shes such a great dog. Pretty much potty trained to go outside and runs and plays all day with her 2 cousins bacon and bruce ! ( french bulldog and boston terrier)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you. From the merrick food i used the chicken and sweet potato recipe for puppies. the bully max uses chicken aswell so now thinking about it she might not like chicken! I feed her 3 times a day about 3/4 cup in the bowl but she just smells and goes away :( tonight im giving her some ground beef cooked with some white rice and salmon oil from a spoon on the side with a bit of yogurt and right before bed a lick of Tomlyn nutri cal high calorie ( I know this stuff is junk just worried she burns to many calories) Aside from being a picky eater shes such a great dog. Pretty much potty trained to go outside and runs and plays all day with her 2 cousins bacon and bruce ! ( french bulldog and boston terrier)

Where red do you feed her... any distractions while food is down? I think she might be training you to get better treats on her food. What are her poo like... how often?

OP
J

jpimienta91

Mar 13, 2019
Miami, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Where red do you feed her... any distractions while food is down? I think she might be training you to get better treats on her food. What are her poo like... how often?

I usually feed her in the kitchen alone while the other boys are outside. I’ve tried feeding her alone in the room but no luck. Her poo is firm not runny at all and not to dry. We are going to make some satin balls as treats for her tonight and see how she likes it tomorrow morning. She has a solid stomach btw! WHEN she wants too, she will eat kibbles and yogurt and eggs and never has had any diarrhea only once when I first gave her a raw egg.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I usually feed her in the kitchen alone while the other boys are outside. I’ve tried feeding her alone in the room but no luck. Her poo is firm not runny at all and not to dry. We are going to make some satin balls as treats for her tonight and see how she likes it tomorrow morning. She has a solid stomach btw! WHEN she wants too, she will eat kibbles and yogurt and eggs and never has had any diarrhea only once when I first gave her a raw egg.

Is she crate training? If yes, try feeding her in the crate, with a little yogurt mixed .... she is being a stinker. Give her 20 mins with bowl down, either in crate or kitchen... if she doesn’t eat remove bowl and try one more time about 30 mins to an hour later.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] ... I can’t remember if you allow pup to miss a meal or not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
J

jpimienta91

Mar 13, 2019
Miami, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
5D4C5A6F-FF62-43D4-94F4-68C985560771.jpegDE4D2D13-CD13-4100-BA87-DD84E3F70CBC.jpeg
Is she crate training? If yes, try feeding her in the crate, with a little yogurt mixed .... she is being a stinker. Give her 20 mins with bowl down, either in crate or kitchen... if she doesn’t eat remove bowl and try one more time about 30 mins to an hour later.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] ... I can’t remember if you allow pup to miss a meal or not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vet told us “She’s healthy so she’ll eat when she’s hungry”. I did the 20 minutes then took away
the bowl for dinner once and next morning she ate the whole bowl. Problem was she skipped next 2 meals.
She’s very stubborn and spoiled! When it’s bedtime she sleeps by our feet then makes her way to lay on top of moms pillow and wraps arm around head snuggling her in :no:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My guys have never not eaten. Maybe she’s not too fond of the current food?

OP
J

jpimienta91

Mar 13, 2019
Miami, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
My guys have never not eaten. Maybe she’s not too fond of the current food?

It just hit me that maybe she doesn’t like chicken recipes ! I’m going to try a little home cooked meal and picked up some beef recipe merrick wet food to slowly mix in to see if she likes it. I plan on switching her to raw diet at 6 months.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, she looks healthy, I have never had a pup who wouldn't eat! My "old " vet used to say, "when she gets hungry enough, she'll eat." If you are worried, since she was eating Royal Canin, and ate it okay, get a small bag,start her on it again, and gradually add a better food a little at a time-or try soaking the food. If you keep offering all kinds of goodies, she will have you trained, and she will be picky as hell!

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Welcome. She is a cutie and smart, too. It's amazing how quickly they can train us. Keep offering her kibble and she'll eat if she's hungry instead of holding out for something "better."
Good luck.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
It just hit me that maybe she doesn’t like chicken recipes ! I’m going to try a little home cooked meal and picked up some beef recipe merrick wet food to slowly mix in to see if she likes it. I plan on switching her to raw diet at 6 months.

Welcome!!! Baby girl sure is a cutie....

When they are hungry they will eat. IMO, you’re feeding her way too options in food. She’ll have you trained if “not already” from what I’m reading :yes: you need to decide what you want as a base food and maybe add a topping. If it’s Merick, stick with it. Don’t add wet can food with dry. Instead add to her kibbles like sardines in water. Just add one sardine for now. Also check the sodium in the can n not from China cause of mercury content. At that age is one topping changed every 2-3weeks. Yogurt is a treat not a topping in my book. I prefer fermented sauerkraut or goats milk.

OP
J

jpimienta91

Mar 13, 2019
Miami, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Well I finally have to admit, Bailey has got dad trained :( Went to the store and got some ground beef and ingredients to make "Satin Balls". Cooked up some ground beef with a little bit of rice and kibbles and she cleared the bowl. Gave her a satin ball as a treat reward. Let her play outside and came in and ate kibbles with the other guys. Dont know how she has such a solid stomach but #2 was fine and shes as happy as shes ever been. Going to slowly transition her to home cooked meals so i can control her nutrition and when shes a bit older complete raw. Bailey also loved her bone broth !

OP
J

jpimienta91

Mar 13, 2019
Miami, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Well I finally have to admit, Bailey has got dad trained :( Went to the store and got some ground beef and ingredients to make "Satin Balls". Cooked up some ground beef with a little bit of rice and kibbles and she cleared the bowl. Gave her a satin ball as a treat reward. Let her play outside and came in and ate kibbles with the other guys. Dont know how she has such a solid stomach but #2 was fine and shes as happy as shes ever been. Going to slowly transition her to home cooked meals so i can control her nutrition and when shes a bit older complete raw. Bailey also loved her bone broth !

C293310D-E3F7-45A8-80A6-93BF381C3CE5.jpeg52E710FD-D51E-46F5-AE29-16BDBF2F5A24.jpeg

Bailey and bacon on there best behavior, and bailey with her “King of the house” pose after exposing dads weakness once again

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.