Best Option

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
I have been looking at Acana, Orijen and Fromm puppy food to transition my new puppy to. Both of my bullies prior to her had chicken allergies so is it just best to start a food with no chicken? I noticed most all of the puppy foods have chicken.... My question is which is the best to start her on? I can get acana and orijen locally and fromm has to be ordered. I'd rather feed something local so which between acana and orijen and which kind?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you need to stay away from chicken.. go Acana single protein.

I always avoid chicken because two of my bulldogs were allergic so I just stay away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
As most knows if itā€™s a kibbles, acana for sure. Like Christine said, start one protein bag so you can keep track if any allergies. Also Acana has tripe in their kibbles. Great probiotic! Do not stick to the same protein after letā€™s say....3 months. Do another protein and keep doing the 3 month switch. A body needs to get different foods so the body builds its own immune system towards allergies. If a dog like humans eats the same old all the time n then something new, the body goes into the protection mode. So absolutely do change n variety is good for any body.

OP
bullylover4ever

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
As most knows if itā€™s a kibbles, acana for sure. Like Christine said, start one protein bag so you can keep track if any allergies. Also Acana has tripe in their kibbles. Great probiotic! Do not stick to the same protein after letā€™s say....3 months. Do another protein and keep doing the 3 month switch. A body needs to get different foods so the body builds its own immune system towards allergies. If a dog like humans eats the same old all the time n then something new, the body goes into the protection mode. So absolutely do change n variety is good for any body.
will I have to transition every 3 months or can I just switch protein sources as long as its acana single protein and be fine?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
will I have to transition every 3 months or can I just switch protein sources as long as its acana single protein and be fine?

No transition needed if you stick with acana.

OP
bullylover4ever

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
one last question, do I just pick a single protein food or does she specifically need a puppy formula? I dont want her to miss out on anything she needs. thanks guys for being so helpful!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
we've always preferred single protein when practical...and had best luck with duck formulas

OP
bullylover4ever

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
we've always preferred single protein when practical...and had best luck with duck formulas
right. my question is most puppy formulas are chicken, is it ok to start her on say the salmon formula acana even though it's not puppy food??? just dont want her to miss something she needs from puppy formula.

OP
bullylover4ever

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
or should I just try the large breed puppy food even though it has chicken? or orijen? their puppy food is chicken based too. I'm sure I'm making this much harder than it is, I just want the best for my baby.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
or should I just try the large breed puppy food even though it has chicken? or orijen? their puppy food is chicken based too. I'm sure I'm making this much harder than it is, I just want the best for my baby.

Large breed isnā€™t necessary... chicken might be OK, donā€™t worry too much now but if you see any issues,,, redness, itching, stinky ears

OP
bullylover4ever

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
Large breed isnā€™t necessary... chicken might be OK, donā€™t worry too much now but if you see any issues,,, redness, itching, stinky ears

ok I guess I'll try the puppy formula then. vet told us we need to feed large breed but I trust u all more. good to know. thanks!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
ok I guess I'll try the puppy formula then. vet told us we need to feed large breed but I trust u all more. good to know. thanks!!

See other response on your other thread... all stages single protein would be my choice

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
concerning puppies...exposure to multiple proteins, IMO, is a good thing. Studies have revealed benefits to this. Iā€™m quoting my wife, BTW. As she best recalls, most allergies pop up after a year. Run the multi protein puppy food for 9 months or so and then switch to adult food.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online