sabicgtruffles

Oct 10, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sabrina, Cover Girl and Truffles (Frenchies)
Hi all,

One of my bulldogs has recently had a cystotomy procedure to remove bladder stones. We did a stone analysis and it came back that they were struvite stones. I suspect that she has got these from reoccurring Urinary Tract Infections and the crystals have become stones. Now that we have done the procedure to remove them I am now focusing on changing her diet. Unfortunately the dreaded ā€œprescription dietā€ Royal canine So has been prescribed to her however I know better to not feed her this garbage. I am hoping that maybe someone else has gone through the same thing and has any recipes or diet that they can suggest? I just canā€™t afford to have her go through this procedure again as she didnā€™t do very well with anesthesia.

Thank you

handsomedan

Apr 2, 2018
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dan and Auggie
I don't have any personal experience with UTI's, but I've been feeding my bulldogs Dr. Harvey's for about a month now and it has really helped their allergies and sensitive stomachs. Their foods are all natural and human grade and they have several food and supplement options with lots of success stories. I hope this helps!!

OP
S

sabicgtruffles

Oct 10, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't have any personal experience with UTI's, but I've been feeding my bulldogs Dr. Harvey's for about a month now and it has really helped their allergies and sensitive stomachs. Their foods are all natural and human grade and they have several food and supplement options with lots of success stories. I hope this helps!!

Yes this helps a lot! Thank you I have never heard of this food before I was looking into Honest Kitchen and this is similar to it only that I get more for $. It seems to have great reviews also!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes this helps a lot! Thank you I have never heard of this food before I was looking into Honest Kitchen and this is similar to it only that I get more for $. It seems to have great reviews also!

HK it very good. But if you can go raw youā€™ll eliminate your issue. Nyala my brindle had crystals WBAā€™s a pup n RC was thrown to me but I thrown as we say. No way in hell any of my dogs will be out on that crap or Hills. So....I home cooked for her. Boiled big turkey for 8 hrs or so. Remove fat but KEEP the broth as youā€™ll top your dogā€™s food with it. You can also freeze as ice cubes for daily treats. A weekish later she was back on track. Sheā€™s 3.5 now and to this day sheā€™s absolutely healthy n made of iron. She is one tough solid bully. Full of energy n always on the go. Both been on raw for a while now. Sure canā€™t complain.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

I googled Dr. Harvey's and I donā€™t see any protein. Can it be or Iā€™ve missed one of their bags? Dogs are carnivores n not vegetarians. Why Iā€™m asking if I missed their protein bag or you add your protein to the bag? :)

handsomedan

Apr 2, 2018
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dan and Auggie
I totally agree, dogs need meat! You are meant to add your choice of protein, raw or cooked. We're using the canine health mix with a rotation of different meats and they love it and are doing really well on it!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I totally agree, dogs need meat! You are meant to add your choice of protein, raw or cooked. We're using the canine health mix with a rotation of different meats and they love it and are doing really well on it!

The one youā€™re feeding has a lot of grains. Keep an eye out on that one. I would go with the grain free ones. :)

The Paradigm is fantastic!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Raw will help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

sabicgtruffles

Oct 10, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
HK it very good. But if you can go raw youā€™ll eliminate your issue. Nyala my brindle had crystals WBAā€™s a pup n RC was thrown to me but I thrown as we say. No way in hell any of my dogs will be out on that crap or Hills. So....I home cooked for her. Boiled big turkey for 8 hrs or so. Remove fat but KEEP the broth as youā€™ll top your dogā€™s food with it. You can also freeze as ice cubes for daily treats. A weekish later she was back on track. Sheā€™s 3.5 now and to this day sheā€™s absolutely healthy n made of iron. She is one tough solid bully. Full of energy n always on the go. Both been on raw for a while now. Sure canā€™t complain.

Yes!! I want to start home cooking but I feel overwhelmed not sure why because it seems easy enough I just donā€™t know what to do. Do you have a recipe you could share with me? Thank you so much

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you everyone! This forum is such a big help id be lost without it!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes!! I want to start home cooking but I feel overwhelmed not sure why because it seems easy enough I just donā€™t know what to do. Do you have a recipe you could share with me? Thank you so much

- - - Updated - - -

Read this thread. We just had thats discussion so easier if you read it...

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/59612-incontinence-2.html#post750554

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

- - - Updated - - -

As Helene said, best is home cooked food. My recipe is 1 whole turkey, chopped in 4 pieces. Put it into big 8 quart pot, cover with water, bring to boil and let it simmer for 2 hours. Helene cooks longer, but after just 2 hours meat easily falls off the bones. Next step - I fish out turkey, let it cool down a bit and take off meat from bones and cut it in pieces no bigger than inch x inch. I donā€™t throw away fat from broth, leave it. While I cut turkey, I put 3 cups of quinoa into broth and cook it until soft. Then I add around 1 pound of grated pumpkin (I buy whole and grate it in advance, but if it is too much work for you, just use frozen veggies mix like green beans, pumpkin, etc, around 1 pound altogether). When quinoa and veggies are cooked, put into pot turkey and let it come to boil. At this stage usually it is quite thick, so mix often and add water if needed, so it wonā€™t burn to bottm. You will get enough food for a week usually ( depends on turkey size).
I give my 50 pound bulldog Tank 1 pound of this food 2 times a day ( 2 pounds a day total). Plus fish oil and Nuvet vitamin.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.