Appetite change after switching to wet food?

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
We have had to switch Dudley to mainly wet food due to his recent kidney stone operation and his appetite seems to have gone crazy! Heā€™s always loved his food and waited while you get it ready but since changing to meat from kibble he is getting so excited and has now taken to jumping and barking at us in an attempt to speed up his food delivery :D

So has anyone else experienced this? Does kibble keep your dog fuller for longer or is he just so pleased to be getting meat after so long on kibble :D

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We have had to switch Dudley to mainly wet food due to his recent kidney stone operation and his appetite seems to have gone crazy! Heā€™s always loved his food and waited while you get it ready but since changing to meat from kibble he is getting so excited and has now taken to jumping and barking at us in an attempt to speed up his food delivery :D

So has anyone else experienced this? Does kibble keep your dog fuller for longer or is he just so pleased to be getting meat after so long on kibble :D

Like I said often, itā€™s better to rotate the food as any dogs eating the same old...same old...they get bored n develops allergies. Always good to rotate. All dogs love cans. Btw what are the cans you feeding him? Also donā€™t forget to make sure you give him something to chew on. Only cans without chewing since going to help his teeth. :)

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Yes I totally agree it is best to switch foods but it took two years to find the right kind of food for Dudley because of his allergies And he was doing great on the kibble he had and we did rotate through the 3 flavours he could have, now though he needs wet so he is taking in more liquid and we are still limited by which meat he can have.

Either way he is definitely enjoying the change at the moment :D

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes I totally agree it is best to switch foods but it took two years to find the right kind of food for Dudley because of his allergies And he was doing great on the kibble he had and we did rotate through the 3 flavours he could have, now though he needs wet so he is taking in more liquid and we are still limited by which meat he can have.

So long heā€™s eating. I was asking what you are feeding him as we on this side of the planet donā€™t all know your dog food and what are the good brands. Good for us to know them as we do get a few UK residents and canā€™t really guide them on what is sold in UK. Only one great proper kibble I know in UK is Acana n Orijen. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

the wet food probably has more flavor too and yes, the kibble probably keeps them feeling full.
I think it was Todd [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] that once tasted kibble and said it was bland.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Kibble is concentrated food, it has very high ratio nutrients/volume, if you think about wet food, it contains a lot of moisture, may be 50%, thatā€™s why Sir Dudley might be more hungry and impatient to get his dinner. Make sure he gets enough calories!
What concerns the taste...sure wet food is nicer, to be honest with you my Tank doesnā€™t even consider kibble or commercial treats as a food, he sniffs and leaves it ( he is on home made turkey+quinoa+veggies food).

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
the wet food probably has more flavor too and yes, the kibble probably keeps them feeling full.
I think it was Todd @Marine91 that once tasted kibble and said it was bland.

I have tasted many kibbles over the years dating back to when i was a young boy trading my dinner for the dogs. I can say that almost all I have ever tasted contrary to how many smell are indeed quite bland.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.