Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
[h=2]Food Therapy[/h]
Nutrition really is the foundation of health. It’s the body’s fuel and provides the building blocks for the maintenance of health, tissue repair and energy.
That’s why most holistic health practitioners focus a great deal on diet and nutritional supplements.
No matter what my patients come to me for, no matter what the concern is, one of the first things we talk about is diet and digestive health.
We need to be thinking about food as the most important medicine we take every day. Feeding fresh, wholesome, low processed or unprocessed nutrition is paramount in maintaining your dog’s health.
[h=2]9 Healthy Foods For Dogs To Support Health And Promote Healing[/h]
These are some of the foods I recommend for my patients on a daily basis. As a general rule, these are wonderful things that can be added to almost any diet for dogs.
[h=3]1. Bone Broth[/h]
Bone broth provides such tremendous benefits for your dog. It’s literally a healing potion.
What is bone broth exactly? It’s bones, simmered low for several days with apple cider vinegar. This slowly breaks down of all of these nutrients, making them extremely bioavailable to the body.
Benefits of bone broth:

• Improves digestion and helps heal “leaky gut” – All disease starts in the gut (autoimmune, allergies, asthma, chronic inflammation)! Gelatin soothes and repairs the mucosal lining to help seal the gut barrier, which can become damaged and allow toxins into the blood stream. Gelatin assists the breakdown of proteins and fats from food, making them easier to digest.
  • Assists in detoxing the liver – Glycine is a powerful precursor for the production of glutathione, a powerful detoxifier. The liver is such a hard-working organ – it does a lot for the body. It’s most important job is to detoxify those things that our dogs are exposed to that the body has to clear. It flushes out chemicals, hormones and waste. It also provides minerals, acids and electrolytes that boost the detox process.
  • Reduces inflammation – Glycine and proline are powerful anti-inflammatories.
  • Alleviates joint pain – Recent studies show that the components of bone broth can provide relief from joint pain.
  • Strengthens bones, joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments – Glycine is important for building muscle strength. It prevents the breakdown of proteins in muscle tissue and preserves it (which helps prevent atrophy in aging dogs). The collagen contains proline, glucosamine and chondroitin which support cartilage and cushion the joints.
  • Provides minerals and increases their absorption – Bone broth is rich in macro-minerals (calcium and phosphorus) and trace minerals (magnesium and zinc). Bone broth helps with the absorption of these minerals.
  • Boosts the immune system – Gives the body tools to boost antioxidant activity which helps to fight infections.
  • Improves skin health – Collagen builds strong skin and protects the skin from aging.
  • Supports brain function – Glycine is an important neurotransmitter in the brain. Bone broth helps improve cognition and memory and promotes better sleep.
You can make your own bone broth or buy it from many specialty pet stores.
[RELATED] Want an easy recipe for bone broth? Here it is.
[h=3]2. Raw Goat Milk[/h]
Raw milk (unpasteurized) is one of the most nutrient-rich foods around. Just take a look at the nutrient profile:

• Fat soluble vitamins A, D and K2
  • Healthy fats: Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) and Omega-3s
  • Probiotics and digestive enzymes
  • Protein/amino acids
  • Immunoglobulins
  • Minerals and electrolytes: calcium, magnesium, potassium
There are many health benefits of raw milk. It’s been shown to strengthen the immune system and reduce allergies. Thanks to the probiotics and digestive enzymes it’s great for gut health. It can even help to repair leaky gut and promotes better skin health.
What about cow milk? While there are many factors in cow milk that I like, I prefer goat milk. Goat milk is:

• Less allergenic – lower in lactose content
  • Easier to digest and absorb because the fat globules are smaller
  • Higher levels of MCTs (30-35% in goat milk vs 15-20% in cow milk)
  • Higher levels of vitamin A, zinc and selenium
In general, I recommend about ¼ cup per day for small dogs, ½ cup per day for medium dogs and ¾ cup per day for large dogs. Start out with smaller amounts and work up to these amounts.
[h=3]3. Organ Meats[/h]
No matter what you feed, be it commercial raw, homemade meals or something else, organ meat is a crucial component of the diet. Many commercial diets and home cooks will follow the 80-10-10 rule (meaning 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% organ meats), but I like a bit more than that.
Organs and glands are nutrient dense. This includes the liver, kidneys, adrenal glands, pancreas, brain, stomach (tripe) and heart. Liver and other organ meats are strength builders (also known as blood builders). In Traditional Chinese Medicine they’re called blood tonics. And we know that carnivores prioritize the organs – they go for the organs first.
Here are some of the organ meats that you should try to include in your dog’s diet:

• Liver: vitamin A, B, iron, folate, zinc, amino acids, ribonucleic acid. Research shows it’s great for building strength and endurance
  • Kidney: vitamin A, B12, riboflavin, iron
  • Heart: CoQ10, vitamin B12, amino acids, collagen
  • Adrenal glands: vitamin C
  • Brain: omega-3, selenium, zinc, vitamin B12
  • Tripe (green, not bleached): digestive enzymes, probiotics, selenium, zinc, vitamin B12
**Try to get organ meats from organic, pasture-raised animals.
[RELATED] Dana Scott covered organ meats – and why you need to add more – at Raw Roundup 2018. Are you making the common mistake she talked about?
9Everydayfoods-01.jpeg
[h=3]4. Eggs[/h]
Eggs are considered a nutritional powerhouse. They’ve been called the most complete protein and are literally 100% bioavailable. And they’re so easy to add to your dog’s diet.
They provide:

• High quality protein and amino acids
  • Vitamins A, D, E complex B vitamins
  • Omega-3s
  • Antioxidants
  • Calcium, selenium, zinc
One of the things eggs are most beneficial for is cardiovascular health, so don’t buy into the hype of the last few decades that say eggs aren’t good for your heart! The cholesterol in eggs actually regulates cholesterol in the body. And the brain and liver rely heavily on cholesterol for normal function. They’re also good for eye and skin health.
Try to find free range (cage free isn’t the same thing as free range) eggs. They have twice as much omega-3, 3 times more vitamin E, 7 times more beta-carotene, 60% more vitamin A and are 98% less likely to carry salmonella!
Raw eggs are fine. For a large dog, an egg a day is good and for smaller dogs go with maybe half an egg. Or, go with every other day – whatever makes you comfortable.
[h=3]5. Omega-3 Oils[/h]
For omega-3 oils, I recommend feeding small, oily fish on a regular basis.
There are many health benefits to this including:

• Brain food
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Joint support
  • Kidney function
  • Heart health
  • Skin and eye health
Sardines and anchovies, as very small fish, haven’t had time to accumulate the toxins found in larger fish. They’re cleaner and offer an amazing source of omega-3s. And stay away from farm-raised fish.
Oily fish can be rich, so start with smaller amounts first and work your way up. For smaller dogs, you can start with ½ a sardine per day, and for larger dogs work up to as much as a tin every other day.
Other sources of omega-3 oils:

• Krill oil – really bioavailable, but it’s over-fished so it’s not great for the environment
  • Calamari oil – this has the highest concentration of DHA and EPA and it’s the most sustainable with the least negative impact
  • Cod liver oil – comes from the liver of the fish. It’s a rich source of DHA, EPA, vitamin A and vitamin D
[RELATED] What about regular fish oil? We’re not big fans. Here’s why!

[h=3]6. Coconut Oil[/h]
One of the other medicinal power foods that I like to recommend for all of my patients is coconut oil. Coconut oil carries a tremendous amount of benefits. It’s a medium chain triglyceride (MCT), a very good fat. It’s thermally stable, so it doesn’t readily oxidize, even with high heat. That makes it great to cook with.
There are a vast array of health benefits:

• Brain food – improves cognition and helps decrease dementia
  • Anti-microbial (bacteria and yeast/candida) – lauric acid
  • Full of antioxidants and minerals
  • Reduces inflammation
  • Boosts immune system health
  • Good for skin and oral health
As a healthy fat, it also helps to fight cancer. One of the things we know about cancer cells is that they can’t use fats. Cancer cells need glucose, or sugars, which carbs break down into, to fuel themselves. We can help starve cancer by providing a diet that contains more healthy fats and fewer carbohydrates.
Most dogs love the taste. A general recommended daily dose is about 1 tsp per 10-20lbs of body weight. Start slowly and work your way up to that.
[h=3]7. Kelp[/h]
One of the reasons kelp is so good for dogs is that it’s full of trace minerals. Our soils are becoming so depleted that they’re mineral deficient, so we need to look for other sources of trace minerals. The ocean is providing these minerals. It’s the lifeblood of the planet.
Kelp seaweed absorbs a lot of its nutrients in its fronds/leaves, not from the roots. Compared to plants that grow on land, sea vegetables have 10-20 times more vitamins, minerals and amino acids. It’s also a powerful source of trace minerals and complex phytonutrients.
Some of the minerals that are rich in kelp are iodine, selenium, zinc and magnesium. There are several health benefits of these nutrients, including:

• Thyroid health
  • Metabolic health
  • Nervous system health
  • Digestive system health
  • Immune function
[h=3]8. Mushrooms[/h]
Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods that can be offered on a daily basis. I use them myself every day. Mushrooms contain some of the most unique and potent natural medicines on the planet. They’ve been used in Chinese herbal formulas for centuries because they provide such powerful health benefits.
Some of the best mushrooms include:

• Turkey Tail
  • Reishi
  • Cordyceps
  • Lion’s Mane
  • Shitake
  • Chaga
  • Maitake
Medicinal mushrooms are packed full of vitamins and nutrients including beta glucans, flavonoids, prebiotics, digestive enzymes and antioxidants. One of the most well-known benefits is the amazing boost to the immune system. Digestive health and anti-cancer benefits are also good reasons to add them to your dog’s diet.
[RELATED] Check out Dr Ihor Basko’s talk on medicinal mushrooms from Raw Roundup 2018 right here.

[h=3]9. Fermented Foods[/h]
Fermented foods are a fantastic source of beneficial bacteria (probiotics). They usually contain a wider variety than supplemental probiotics with more concentrated numbers of bacteria. They’re also great for supporting immune functions. Fermented foods assist in detoxing the bowel and chelates heavy metals/chemicals, can help heal leaky gut and IBD.
One of the reasons fermented foods are so awesome is because of all the nutrients. The fermentation process produces:

• Vitamin C, K2 and B vitamins
  • Acetylcholine – a neurotransmitter
  • Choline – balances and nourishes the blood
  • Enzymes support digestion and metabolic activity
  • Lactic Acid – represses cancer cells
Some of the best options for fermented foods are:

• Kefir
  • Yogurt
  • Fermented veggies
  • Fermented fish stock
  • Fermented fish sauce
  • Kombucha
To feed fermented foods, work up to 1 tsp per 10lbs of body weight per day.
[RELATED] Want to make your own fermented apples? Here’s a great recipe.
**Move slowly when adding new items and try not to add too many new things at one time.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hi, what brand of probiotics are the best?

Quite a few people on here use sauerkraut (the one in the fridge section, not canned), green unbleached tripe, raw goats milk. I also sometimes use fermented fish stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marycarmen

Dec 4, 2015
Kentucky
Country
Estados Unidos
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thank you, my baby is almost 4 year old, and he stared with diarrhea, I will start giving him probiotics

ElizabethnZeus

Nov 29, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Zeus just turned 11 and was doing great aside from the arthritis is the hips and loss of muscle which is weird to see on him. He started to get super bloated from his kibble and didn’t want to walk much. I took him off kibble and started a veggie/ground meat diet for two weeks now and he has so much energy! I add fish oil/coconut oil and no snacks. The snacks have never been an issue. He isn’t a big dog. His normal weight was 44,45 lbs and now he’s at 43 but much less muscle. That is due being indoors much more as we moved to Kansas two years ago from Northern Cali where he went to the beach most every day! I did also just notice a fatty tissue that is super soft and small seems very n the skin not hard in the muscle if that makes sense. I do add egg to his diet randomly but will do it more often and will definitely try the raw goats milk! I’m so grateful for all your tips

Attachments

• IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Any dog taken off kibble n goes on a veggie/ground meat diet or raw will thrive cause of the natural vitamins n minerals. Try not to over cook your veggies as you will kill off the enzymes. You can also add raw pieces of liver. 👍

Oh n you can add some of this recipe for his arthritis. Will help him.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpeg
    IMG_1815.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 10

ElizabethnZeus

Nov 29, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Any dog taken off kibble n goes on a veggie/ground meat diet or raw will thrive cause of the natural vitamins n minerals. Try not to over cook your veggies as you will kill off the enzymes. You can also add raw pieces of liver. 👍

Oh n you can add some of this recipe for his arthritis. Will help him.
thank ypu so much I’ll definitely add this to his diet👍🏼what does the pepper do?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
thank ypu so much I’ll definitely add this to his diet👍🏼what does the pepper do?
It activates the full potency of the turmeric. A lot of people don’t know you always need to add black pepper to turmeric or you lose the benefit of the turmeric which is an anti inflammatory.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

ElizabethnZeus

Nov 29, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
For an 11yr old his eyes are very alert. Good looking boy.

Heres a good article that explains enzymes.

thank you. Zeus has had a very active and adventurous life. I was fortunate enough to have him by my side in nature and at work up until two years ago when we moved to Kansas. The weather slowed him down as far as being inside a lot of the year. That article was so good! I am interested in the enzymes and gut guard product as he had swelling of the belly and it happened quick so I took him off this new kibble. A life long kibble eater though with time off here and there but no grains or packaged snacks. Apples, sweet potato, strawberries or bone from the butcher on occasion. But the gut guard and enzymes I’m hoping will do the trick. What do you think about apple cider vinegar or raw goat milk? I saw a comment on these two.I haven’t tried these but feel like they’d be good for me as a human. Dogs don’t drink milk lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@ElizabethnZeus

I do like apple cider vinegar n raw goat milk. I tend to use ACV more as it balances the gut better for digestion. You can also add it to the drinking water. Hey, I also put it in the chicken’s drinking water 😁
BTW ACV is like mother nature’s antibiotic also one even better is oil of oregano. Only use every other day cause OOO is powerful .

Why occasionally for apples, sweet potato, strawberries or bone?

I give my 3 an apple cut in 3 every single morning, around 10-11 am they get either dehydrate beef or liver as a snack n around 2pm another snack, n the their raw supper. Regarding butcher bones the only bones I give is as per attachment. Raw marrow bones.

Your snacks can definitely be strawberries or any berries as it’s high in antioxidants.

You got this👍

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpeg
    IMG_1011.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 8

ElizabethnZeus

Nov 29, 2023
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
@ElizabethnZeus

I do like apple cider vinegar n raw goat milk. I tend to use ACV more as it balances the gut better for digestion. You can also add it to the drinking water. Hey, I also put it in the chicken’s drinking water 😁
BTW ACV is like mother nature’s antibiotic also one even better is oil of oregano. Only use every other day cause OOO is powerful .

Why occasionally for apples, sweet potato, strawberries or bone?

I give my 3 an apple cut in 3 every single morning, around 10-11 am they get either dehydrate beef or liver as a snack n around 2pm another snack, n the their raw supper. Regarding butcher bones the only bones I give is as per attachment. Raw marrow bones.

Your snacks can definitely be strawberries or any berries as it’s high in antioxidants.

You got this👍
thank you. yes, bone marrow. I’m ordering now the enzymes for Zeus. His belly is still a little bloated but on his third week off kibble he’s lost a few lbs. I’m just trying to figure out what to add into his diet. His energy has really increased.I do give him sweet potatoe but haven’t added back apples cause his poop is on the softer side.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thank you. yes, bone marrow. I’m ordering now the enzymes for Zeus. His belly is still a little bloated but on his third week off kibble he’s lost a few lbs. I’m just trying to figure out what to add into his diet. His energy has really increased.I do give him sweet potatoe but haven’t added back apples cause his poop is on the softer side.
You can add like a tablespoon of our pumpkin (not pie filling ) to help with soft poo

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online