Jburks

Jan 1, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
Hello, I am new to the English Bulldog breed and looking for help. My 5 month old puppy seems to be allergic to chicken. Her food is Science Diet for Puppy. About 4 days ago she swelled up and broke out in hives all over her body. I took her to the vet and they gave her a steroid shot and said she probably got bit by something that sheā€™s allergic to. The swelling started to slowly go down, but the evening came and i fed her dinner and the swelling and hives came right back. I stopped feeding her puppy food and started her on a clean diet consisting of cooked 93/7 ground beef and white rice. All of the swelling and hives are gone. So, my question is...do you think sheā€™s allergic to the chicken? And whatā€™s another dog food i can try that wonā€™t cause an allergic reaction? Thank you in advance!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=18784]Jburks[/MENTION] I have never given my dogs a chicken based meal, but many bullies are allergic to chicken. Science diet is also a crappy food. I would get her on a grain free,maybe a fish/salmon based food. Many others here will have a suggestion too.Many Vets recommend Science Diet because they make a commision. I would not give it to her again.

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
Hello, I am new to the English Bulldog breed and looking for help. My 5 month old puppy seems to be allergic to chicken. Her food is Science Diet for Puppy. About 4 days ago she swelled up and broke out in hives all over her body. I took her to the vet and they gave her a steroid shot and said she probably got bit by something that sheā€™s allergic to. The swelling started to slowly go down, but the evening came and i fed her dinner and the swelling and hives came right back. I stopped feeding her puppy food and started her on a clean diet consisting of cooked 93/7 ground beef and white rice. All of the swelling and hives are gone. So, my question is...do you think sheā€™s allergic to the chicken? And whatā€™s another dog food i can try that wonā€™t cause an allergic reaction? Thank you in advance!

Our bulldog is allergic to chicken. He breaks out in these bumps all over.
Heā€™s on a grain free diet right now, with beef I believe.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Chicken is a common issue with bulldogs and as stated, Science Diet is not a good food. Check out dogfoodadvisor.com for dog food ratings. If you want to stick to kibble, some good quality ones would be Acana, Orijen, Fromm and Zignature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jburks

Jan 1, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
Thank you so much for the reply and helpful information. I will never give her Science Diet again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much for the reply and helpful information. I will never give her Science Diet again.

Grains and processed chicken cause havoc for bulldog... good luck with a new food

Here are some good kibble options:

Zingnature
Fromm
Orijen
Acana
Earth born Holistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.