cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Is my 10wk old puppy still too young to be given peanut butter as a "snack"? I'd like to smear some in his little Kong toy but not sure if it's a good idea yet. I'm also curious about when he can have things like pumpkin, cottage cheese, and yogurt.

Also, when you guys give your bullies yogurt, what kind is it--plain, lowfat, full fat, non-fat, fruit-filled?

thanks a bunch!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I don't think it should be a problem to feed your baby peanut butter or any of those other foods.

I would suggest using them in strict moderation until you know their effect on his developing system.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I don't think he is too young for those things but I agree with sheshistory, do so in moderation. As for yogurt, I give Samson the nonfat plain yogurt. You should avoid the flavored ones, too much sugar in those for a dog!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
My boys get plain Greek yogurt--I share with them. 10 weeks is old enough for any of the foods you mentioned but like [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] and [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] said moderation is the key!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Great, i think i'll give him a little bit of p-b this evening and see what he thinks of it. I'll definitely work these foods in slowly and in moderation.

Thank-you much for the input!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Mine act like pb is crack. Lola actually moans when she is eating it lol

giasmom

Feb 2, 2011
I put PB and a little kibble in Gia's kong before leaving for work!! Between that and her GIANT kong that she has to play with to get the treats out of, she's good at least until nap time!!!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@laurilolaandmojo--well, i'm just like your bullies when it comes to PB! I can't get enough of the stuff so if Tate doesn't like it (which I doubt), i'll finish it off for him!

[MENTION=1803]giasmom[/MENTION]--i've been giving Tate his Kong in the a.m. b4 i leave for work too...been putting those little "kong stix" or whatever they're called...not sure if this is the best thing for him but he really loves gnawing on the stuff and the ingredients don't look all that bad...but i'm looking for healthier alternatives like the pb for his Kong toy.

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I don't think there is such a thing like too young for cottage cheese and yogurt, I feed my 4 week old puppies either plain yogurt or cottage cheese in their soft food when I start them on food and I often mix yogurt in their formula if mom doesn't have enough milk. But a small amount goes a long way..... :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes just a scoop of yogurt--not too much!

Moderation is key....and always introduce 1thing at a time and wait a week before adding another. That way you can determine if it bothers them or not.

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I put PB and a little kibble in Gia's kong before leaving for work!! Between that and her GIANT kong that she has to play with to get the treats out of, she's good at least until nap time!!!

I also do this and i freeze it and samson is well at it for a while haha. How often can you do this though do you know, would once a day be too much?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Another alternative is cream cheese, as peanuts are a possible allergy food for those bullies with allergies!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.