Newbie needs advice! Recently adopted bulldog and need food suggestions..

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Wow thanks for the great advice! I didn't see all these replies.... I have to try the keto shampoo because i feel so bad for sabrina she has scratched her face to the point where she has got a cut now. I have been cleaning it with mal-a-ket wipes and then applying neomycin so it doesn't get affected but that doesn't help with the itching of course so im definitely going to try your suggestions with the colloidal silver, aloe gel and microfiber wipes. I have to ask though where do you guys get your colloidal silver from? this is the first time ive ever heard of it! Also ive decided to wean her off the zignature duck and get her on the trout im hoping this will help :fie:

You can get the collodial silver from Amazon. I use it to wipe Louie's face after he eats by spraying it on the microfiber cloth. Also, if switching between Zignature flavors, you do not need to transition, you can just go from one to another. They also have kangaroo and goat which are more "rare" proteins. Louie gets the kangaroo in his rotation and I just ordered a bag of the goat to try.

OP
S

sabicgtruffles

Oct 10, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sabrina, Cover Girl and Truffles (Frenchies)
Awesome ill order some of that now. Do you think the scratching could be food related allergy? I am thinking kangaroo also I got sample of that and the dogs went crazy for it! Its so funny because im australian and ive never seen kangaroo dog food back home!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Awesome ill order some of that now. Do you think the scratching could be food related allergy? I am thinking kangaroo also I got sample of that and the dogs went crazy for it! Its so funny because im australian and ive never seen kangaroo dog food back home!

Scratching could be from food or it could be environmental. I like to rotate between proteins so that they are not eating the same thing every day forever.

Hanks dad

Oct 9, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
I would switch to non bird and no grain kibble. We landed on taste of the wild puppy. Had the itchy red face when on chicken and/or turkey but itā€™s a process to find whatā€™s right. I mix in few ounces of wet fish/beef along with 1.5cups kibble 3x day Also a teaspoon of pure pumpkin helps greatly with gas smell!!! Gas still there but smell is gone!!! Btw, Hank is 5.5m

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Wow thanks for the great advice! I didn't see all these replies.... I have to try the keto shampoo because i feel so bad for sabrina she has scratched her face to the point where she has got a cut now. I have been cleaning it with mal-a-ket wipes and then applying neomycin so it doesn't get affected but that doesn't help with the itching of course so im definitely going to try your suggestions with the colloidal silver, aloe gel and microfiber wipes. I have to ask though where do you guys get your colloidal silver from? this is the first time ive ever heard of it! Also ive decided to wean her off the zignature duck and get her on the trout im hoping this will help :fie:

For ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo try curaseb or ketohex shampoo.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

You may want to try a limited ingredient dehydrated raw dog food like Honest Kitchen's line ( but not the chicken one ) . https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/meals/minimalist-food

Or frozen raw, which is less convenient than dehydrated raw, but even less allergenic.

Start some cetirizine antihistamine ( 0.5 mg/pound or 1 mg/kg per day ) in case there's environmental allergies.

Dakster

Jan 15, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dak
My Bull loves Zignature Kangaroo food. I was told he gets 1 1/4 cups twice a day. He's 47 lbs, we just adopted him. I may try going up a bit with the food since we walk 4 times a day.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Bull loves Zignature Kangaroo food. I was told he gets 1 1/4 cups twice a day. He's 47 lbs, we just adopted him. I may try going up a bit with the food since we walk 4 times a day.

Hi there [MENTION=18811]Dakster[/MENTION].....great job on rescuing!! How old is he? Your walks are how long? You donā€™t up kibbles especially if they are fit. Simply add veggies n fruits as treats. Being winter here I walk my dogs but not as far cause of the cold. Both usually walks 3-5km a day. Both weighs 50lbs. I sure wouldnā€™t want them any bigger either. If you donā€™t see ribs heā€™s good.

7A9AB7EC-F27A-48A4-A0BA-48F668C4692F.jpeg

Dakster

Jan 15, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dak
Dak is between 1 1/2 and 2. He was rescued from drug dealers that fed him table food like mac and cheese and all kinds of other junk. They rescued him Thanksgiving and he was undernourished. He is healthy now and he passed his physical with flying colors. We got him from Long Island Bulldog Rescue. I've haven't uped his food, he get 1 1/4 oz. twice a day. In between I have healthy treats. He loves baby carrots. He is 47lbs.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Dak is between 1 1/2 and 2. He was rescued from drug dealers that fed him table food like mac and cheese and all kinds of other junk. They rescued him Thanksgiving and he was undernourished. He is healthy now and he passed his physical with flying colors. We got him from Long Island Bulldog Rescue. I've haven't uped his food, he get 1 1/4 oz. twice a day. In between I have healthy treats. He loves baby carrots. He is 47lbs.

If heā€™s eating 2.5 cups a day heā€™s ok. I give full carrots to both of mine too n approximately 1/2 cup at noon of either frozen tripe or herring. During supper Iā€™m always chopping either bell peppers, asparagus, zucchini etc etc...they both get some veggies too daily. Just to give you an idea. If your fingers donā€™t go between each ribs n just feel the back one, donā€™t worry. Heā€™s still young too. Heā€™s not done growing.

Most Reactions