Newbie needs advice! Recently adopted bulldog and need food suggestions..

sabicgtruffles

Oct 10, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sabrina, Cover Girl and Truffles (Frenchies)
I recently adopted a 1 year old english bulldog. She has currently been fed Zignature Duck but I am concerned its contributing to her itchy face and scooting. I regularly clean her face with wipes/mal wipes dry it and apply diaper rash cream if it gets bad and in regards to her scooting she does have a tail pocket so I clean that everyday, but i think her diet might be playing a role in it? Also I dont want her to lose her weight and I feel like this food doesnt have enough protein. Can anyone recommend a good food that helps hold their weight?

Thank you :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Zignature is a good brand. Have you tried any of the other proteins? Other good kibbles, just to name a few, would be Acana, Orijen and Fromm. How much are you feeding? Some dogs need more to eat than others. When Louie was just eating kibble, he was up to 4 cups a day because he is so active and constantly burning calories. Now he eats 1.5 cups of Zignature in the morning and 9.2 - 9.5 ounces of raw at night and has been doing well.

OP
S

sabicgtruffles

Oct 10, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW see, i think that's what i am doing wrong. I give her two cups a day its not enough :( i think i will try your method any suggestions on how to feed her raw? I really want to try that just dont know what to give?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW see, i think that's what i am doing wrong. I give her two cups a day its not enough :( i think i will try your method any suggestions on how to feed her raw? I really want to try that just dont know what to give?

Feeding raw is quite simple and has many benefits. I buy the commercial frozen stuff that is already balanced like Primal, Stella & Chewy's, Answers, Vital Essentials, Tuckers. For amount, you would start at 2-2.5% to maintain weight, 3% to gain weight, etc. But again, it's all a science project and some need more and some need less. You just play around until you find the amount that works. I make up 2 weeks worth of meals at a time and portion them out and put in containers and then throw in the freezer and then I pull out 2 containers a day. My French Bulldog gets 100% raw and my EB gets the Zignature in the am and the raw in the pm.

Some people will transition over to raw but I went straight to it and had no issues. If you do a search on here, I am sure you will find many threads about feeding raw.

OP
S

sabicgtruffles

Oct 10, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's really great advice! I have two frenchies also and they cant eat kibble anymore due to the constant UTI one of the girls keeps getting so I had been feeding the canned Zignature food but I am definitely going to switch over to raw! Thank you so much for your help :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
That's really great advice! I have two frenchies also and they cant eat kibble anymore due to the constant UTI one of the girls keeps getting so I had been feeding the canned Zignature food but I am definitely going to switch over to raw! Thank you so much for your help :)

Let's see some pictures of your babies!!

OP
S

sabicgtruffles

Oct 10, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
EFRE.jpg

This is all of them at the dog run....haha they were over it by that stage!

Sabrina on the left, Truffles in the middle and Cover Girl on right (all adopted!)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
beautiful babies :) Another raw that we love is Steves. We mostly do the turkey but they have turkey and duck, beef, and possibly lamb, or pork. Cant remember :( We also get a fabulous frozen green tripe in patties so no fuss no muss and is a great pro/and mabie prebiotoc (? [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]? and [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]) Great for them and in fact, going to hop in my car and go reload ;)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, Steve's is another brand. I haven't tried that one yet but probably will at some point. Unbleached green tripe is an excellent probiotic. I always have to wear gloves when I handle it cause boy, it is stinky. Vital Essentials has frozen patties and I think freeze dried as well.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I recently adopted a 1 year old english bulldog. She has currently been fed Zignature Duck but I am concerned its contributing to her itchy face and scooting. I regularly clean her face with wipes/mal wipes dry it and apply diaper rash cream if it gets bad and in regards to her scooting she does have a tail pocket so I clean that everyday, but i think her diet might be playing a role in it? Also I dont want her to lose her weight and I feel like this food doesnt have enough protein. Can anyone recommend a good food that helps hold their weight?

Thank you :)

I don't think switching to frozen raw will help with her tail pocket or scooting, but should help a lot with her itchy face. I use ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo on a wet cosmetic pad for my dog's facial wrinkles but I think [MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] has tried colloidal silver, aloe gel, and microfiber cloths on her Hank's wrinkles. Hopefully she can say what's working best for her.

And I'm sure you've read [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] talk about her special mixture for tail pocket cleaning every few days:
15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae (or Thuja)
8 drops of tea tree
4-6oz of Fractionated Coconut Oil

Try adding some canned pumpkin to her food to bulk it up a little which will squeeze her anal sacs, and also put the diaper rash cream on her bum if she scoots since it will soothe it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] mentioned, tail pocket has nothing to do with food. Tail is stuck tightly on the bum and it gets dirty then infection. I’ve been doing this over 2yrs. Great results with the mixture for sure.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great looking pack... gang has you covered on the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I don't think switching to frozen raw will help with her tail pocket or scooting, but should help a lot with her itchy face. I use ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo on a wet cosmetic pad for my dog's facial wrinkles but I think [MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] has tried colloidal silver, aloe gel, and microfiber cloths on her Hank's wrinkles. Hopefully she can say what's working best for her.

And I'm sure you've read [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] talk about her special mixture for tail pocket cleaning every few days:
15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae (or Thuja)
8 drops of tea tree
4-6oz of Fractionated Coconut Oil

Try adding some canned pumpkin to her food to bulk it up a little which will squeeze her anal sacs, and also put the diaper rash cream on her bum if she scoots since it will soothe it.

Agree with all the above for taking care of the wrinkles and or tail pocket ;) and yes, i have had great results with each of these. Love the silver, the aloe as well, and well, each suggestion here for wrinkles i have used and feel each works as well as the next.

OP
S

sabicgtruffles

Oct 10, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow thanks for the great advice! I didn't see all these replies.... I have to try the keto shampoo because i feel so bad for sabrina she has scratched her face to the point where she has got a cut now. I have been cleaning it with mal-a-ket wipes and then applying neomycin so it doesn't get affected but that doesn't help with the itching of course so im definitely going to try your suggestions with the colloidal silver, aloe gel and microfiber wipes. I have to ask though where do you guys get your colloidal silver from? this is the first time ive ever heard of it! Also ive decided to wean her off the zignature duck and get her on the trout im hoping this will help :fie:

OP
S

sabicgtruffles

Oct 10, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hankster, what are you feeding Hank??

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.