General Question Smells, Probiotics, & Supplements

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Community questions. Do you give your bully supplement and/or probiotics? IF so, what do you recommend?

My bully is smelly. Not yeasty, just a general strong doggy odor. Unfortunately, upstairs is carpeted so the odor lingers despite air purifier and vacuuming. [Stuck with carpet for now]. Previous posts indicate diet may contribute to this. My bully is being weaned off Taste of the Wild and onto American Journey Limited due to an allergy of unknown origin. The American Journey diet is salmon and sweet potato. Chlorhexidine wipe to underam rash which is resolving. Paws and bum are wiped down after potty. He gets a body wipe after outside play, especially those cute wrinkles. Bathing every couple of weeks with chlorhexidine shampoo per vet. Do you suggest a probiotic, vitamin supplement or something else?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Some people have found that giving them 2 tsp. of apple cider vinegar daily, gets rid of the smell. Many put it in the water. Or when you bathe, rinse with ac vinegar and water. Others will have more suggestions. So far, I have not have this problem. I believe in pro-biotics, or good vitamin.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It could be the food or the protein in the food is not agreeing with him. Have you thought about doing a full blood panel allergy test? It will be about $200... not 100% accurate but gives a great baseline to start with ... I did it for three of my four and it was a fantastic help.

Probiotic.... raw goats milk, sauerkraut, or Herbsmiths Microflora are a few options

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
For probiotics I rotate between raw goats milk and fermented fish stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Thank you for the suggestions. Maybe the salmon/sweet potato diet is permeating through his skin. He seems to be tolerating well. He produces less gas than before. How much raw goat milk, sauerkraut, fermented fish stock, or herbsmith’s microflora do you recommend?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
two quickie's here.... Much easier FOR US to add the ACV strait to the food, then i know how much he is actually getting and he's great with it,,,,,,,, and, if you do use the sauerkraut make sure its the "fermented" one. Thats all i got for ya ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for the suggestions. Maybe the salmon/sweet potato diet is permeating through his skin. He seems to be tolerating well. He produces less gas than before. How much raw goat milk, sauerkraut, fermented fish stock, or herbsmith’s microflora do you recommend?

I give 1/4 goats milk once a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Thank you. Sauerkraut, fermented fish stock, and Herbsmith’s microflora are easy finds. Raw goat's milk will require a little homework but can be done. Began adding ACV to his food this morning. Do you recommend also adding a vitamin supplement like NuVet?

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Follow-up. Since I added the ACV to Finley’s diet the odor has disappeared. I have kept him busy this week with walks, play, & the dog park yesterday. After a quick wipe down, he smells great! It’s amazing. Began Herbsmith yesterday.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.