lchang003

Jun 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kombi
Hello all

So we have tried so many foods it seems like something always causes an issues. I have a 2.5 year old Old English Bulldog and I'm at a lost of what more to try. We have lowered the protein count to help firm up the stool, but now we have the turn in circles for a few min after I eat cause my but itches. UGHHH.

Here is where we are at...

Taste of the Wild, Pet Stream =ER visit and bloody diarrhea
Earthborne Holistic Primitive = Soft Serve ice cream poop
Earthborne Holistic Fish = Soft Serve ice cream poop

NOW on Fromm Heartland Gold Adult which has helped with the poop issue, but now we have the itchy butt for a few minutes.

So my question is, we are only on the first bag, would you wait it out and see what happens? (we are leaving on vacation in 2 weeks and he will be "at the spa")

We have not tried a raw diet due to cost. We have 2 dogs that are large breed and at $250 / month that's a bit steep for us. We go thru 50 pounds of kibble a month and spend about $125/month which is in our budget range.

Any thoughts would be most grateful as I'm not sure what other options there are in our budget. I know I don't want him on chicken as I believe he has a small allergy to that.

TIA

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=17280]lchang003[/MENTION] seems there is a fishy problem as all 3 bags are fish. Try getting away from fish. I personally would try Acana. Acana also contain tripe which is a great probiotic. Also add pumpkin purée and NOT the one for pies but fresh n organic as it will harden the stools. For that size of dog I would go with a good 2 tablespoon mix in wth the meal. Now have you also had the stools analyzed for parasites? Btw, it’s a myth to lower protein to have less loose stools. A higher protein kibble will help your dog produce less waste and make his stool more solid. Why raw diet the stools are like solid little nuggets. Basically he has digestive issues and needs probiotics to get the intestines back on track. Probiotics means like give 2 tablespoons of fermented sauerkraut or fermented kefir as both are loaded of probiotics and way more than Greek yogurt. But do have the stools analyzed and DO NOT come back from the vet with a Royal Canin bag of dog food!!

OP
lchang003

lchang003

Jun 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kombi
Yes some was fish and some was chicken. This bag of Fromm right now has Red Meat and contains probiotics. We also make our own pumpkin puree and used that in the past, but that along with rice has done nothing. I'll have to check Acana and see what they have. We thought the less protein was a myth too, but he is popping a lot better all the way around. Firmer and less.

They are also both UTD on all vaccines and go every 6 months with clean tests. This has been an ongoing issue since day one, and our vet does not like Royal Canin either as it's junk food.

Again thank you for your input...I'll check Acana.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes some was fish and some was chicken. This bag of Fromm right now has Red Meat and contains probiotics. We also make our own pumpkin puree and used that in the past, but that along with rice has done nothing. I'll have to check Acana and see what they have. We thought the less protein was a myth too, but he is popping a lot better all the way around. Firmer and less.

They are also both UTD on all vaccines and go every 6 months with clean tests. This has been an ongoing issue since day one, and our vet does not like Royal Canin either as it's junk food.

Again thank you for your input...I'll check Acana.

Great you have a vet against RC... did they just recently had their vaccines? That also can cause loose stools. I would finish their bag Fromm and see how that goes as a bag for 2 will be gone in a month since you had them check every 6 months. Btw why every 6 months? Sorry with all the questions just the more we know the better we might have a better idea. But do try the sauerkraut as pumpkin will help harden stools but doesn’t have probiotics. For sure it’s a digestive issue.

OP
lchang003

lchang003

Jun 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kombi
We have a wonderful vet with Banfield and they get their comprehensives 2x a year which includes fecal test JIC, vaccines 1x a year and their dental cleaning 1x year.It's a lot, but a piece of mind. We also live rural so we make sure they don't pick up random diseases that may not be in the city...giardia, lyme, etc. He is also 9 months post CCL repair surgery, so this guy has been through a lot in the last 2.5 years!

I did find Acana limited ingredients that has a similar analysis to the bag we are using so we may try that as we are running low on Fromm and need to mix the 2 for transition. And Sauerkraut...that's another good option!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
We have a wonderful vet with Banfield and they get their comprehensives 2x a year which includes fecal test JIC, vaccines 1x a year and their dental cleaning 1x year.It's a lot, but a piece of mind. We also live rural so we make sure they don't pick up random diseases that may not be in the city...giardia, lyme, etc. He is also 9 months post CCL repair surgery, so this guy has been through a lot in the last 2.5 years!

I did find Acana limited ingredients that has a similar analysis to the bag we are using so we may try that as we are running low on Fromm and need to mix the 2 for transition. And Sauerkraut...that's another good option!!!

Yes Acana does make one protein and so much easier to keep track of a dog’s allergies like yours. Easier to eliminate the list. Keep use posted...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Great you have a vet against RC... did they just recently had their vaccines? That also can cause loose stools. I would finish their bag Fromm and see how that goes as a bag for 2 will be gone in a month since you had them check every 6 months. Btw why every 6 months? Sorry with all the questions just the more we know the better we might have a better idea. But do try the sauerkraut as pumpkin will help harden stools but doesn’t have probiotics. For sure it’s a digestive issue.

Make sure it's the live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, or some supermarkets. Or milk kefir or raw goats milk.
You might be able to buy frozen raw dog food for a reasonable price from a local raw food coop. Where do you live in USA - maybe someone here can recommend a reasonably priced one? I find frozen raw that I buy locally in Canada to be same price as a super premium dog kibble.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Make sure it's the live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, or some supermarkets. Or milk kefir or raw goats milk.
You might be able to buy frozen raw dog food for a reasonable price from a local raw food coop. Where do you live in USA - maybe someone here can recommend a reasonably priced one? I find frozen raw that I buy locally in Canada to be same price as a super premium dog kibble.

Raw is so cheaper in the US comparison to us in Canada.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Just wondering on the once a year vaccines. Once a year vaccines sounds like over vaccinating. After their core puppy shots and then 1 year shots, they shouldn't need vaccines again for another 3 years.

OP
lchang003

lchang003

Jun 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kombi
We have to do Bordetella and Lyme Disease yearly due to daycare and the location we live.

OP
lchang003

lchang003

Jun 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kombi
UPDATE: We have looked at all food that we have given since day one. So far chicken and fish are issues with poop or allergies. We are trying limited ingred Pork and Squash Acana to see if pork is the issue. If it is then we are trying Duck next.

Thank you all for you input!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE: We have looked at all food that we have given since day one. So far chicken and fish are issues with poop or allergies. We are trying limited ingred Pork and Squash Acana to see if pork is the issue. If it is then we are trying Duck next.

Thank you all for you input!

Sorry so late to this... I read through all the advice/answers..... my only question is how much do you feed at each meal? sometimes, it could be you are feeding too much

OP
lchang003

lchang003

Jun 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kombi
We are feeding based on weight management and Dr. recommendations. 1.5 c twice per day to maintain weight at 85#; doctor likes him tucked at that ribs so he does not get fat. He is not allowed to run or jump due to knee surgery in Feb...we may get back into that in Feb, 1 yr post surgery. Then we will consider altering food intake based on activity level. We have 4.5 acres and the most our Dr liked to feed even at high energy was 3.5 cups total. They also get treats so we factor that in too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are feeding based on weight management and Dr. recommendations. 1.5 c twice per day to maintain weight at 85#; doctor likes him tucked at that ribs so he does not get fat. He is not allowed to run or jump due to knee surgery in Feb...we may get back into that in Feb, 1 yr post surgery. Then we will consider altering food intake based on activity level. We have 4.5 acres and the most our Dr liked to feed even at high energy was 3.5 cups total. They also get treats so we factor that in too.

Great! hoping the food change helps -- fingers and paws crossed, keep us posted

OP
lchang003

lchang003

Jun 23, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kombi
UPDATE
In the midst of all this we ended up with a pocket tail irritation. At this point we don't know if it is a food allergy or a coincidence. We are treating the tail pocket and transitioning to Acana Duck. We should know more in a month.

Thank you all again!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.