Lesobrien2003

Sep 22, 2018
Erlanger, KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Hello all,

I have a two year old English bulldog and he eats like a champ. I have been feeding him Iams optimal weight for more than a year and a half and he hasn't had any issues. Friday night he threw up something completely crazy. It looked like a hard piece of rubber in the shape of a top. Wide at the top, narrowing towards the bottom. He's thrown these up before and I associated them with Dentasticks but I stopped giving those to him long enough ago to know that there is no correlation between the two. It was quite alarming considering the size and made me think had he not been able to throw it up it would have gotten lodged. Last January he had a foreign body surgery after becoming sick. I couldn't determine what the item was they removed but now I am thinking it could have been something like what he threw up. So I guess my question is, do you think that the dog food I have been giving him isn't breaking down completely and possibly turning into these hard gelatinous things that he can't break down or pass?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I don't know if Iams could have caused it, but I'd recommend switching anyways since it's not a great brand.Try a 5 star brand such as Acana, Zignature, Earthborne Holistic, Fromm etc. Do you ever give your dog cooked bones, which can splinter and cause problems? Or what other treats do you give your dog? He could have just been a bad dog and swallowed something he wasn't supposed to.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello all,

I have a two year old English bulldog and he eats like a champ. I have been feeding him Iams optimal weight for more than a year and a half and he hasn't had any issues. Friday night he threw up something completely crazy. It looked like a hard piece of rubber in the shape of a top. Wide at the top, narrowing towards the bottom. He's thrown these up before and I associated them with Dentasticks but I stopped giving those to him long enough ago to know that there is no correlation between the two. It was quite alarming considering the size and made me think had he not been able to throw it up it would have gotten lodged. Last January he had a foreign body surgery after becoming sick. I couldn't determine what the item was they removed but now I am thinking it could have been something like what he threw up. So I guess my question is, do you think that the dog food I have been giving him isn't breaking down completely and possibly turning into these hard gelatinous things that he can't break down or pass?

Iams is not a good food, definitely switch to a high quality kibble... Fromm, Zingnature, Earthborn Holistic.

Is there anything he could be getting into ... socks, shoes, toy ropes could cause issues .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lesobrien2003

Sep 22, 2018
Erlanger, KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
I know he hasn't gotten into anything. He's not a chewer and the toys he has are indestructible.

OP
L

Lesobrien2003

Sep 22, 2018
Erlanger, KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
The only treats I give him are the Costco brand treats like milk bones. They are like a kibble consistency.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The only treats I give him are the Costco brand treats like milk bones. They are like a kibble consistency.

No milk bone, no Iams, no Dentasticks!!! You will save a lot of vet bills down the road. Btw Dentasticks if a form of rawhide which is NOT digestible. So it could have accumulated inside. At Costco they sell 100% dry beef in a blue bag. Get that for real treats and the kibbles mentioned. And book mark https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ and read recommendations. Stick to 5 star food!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/57090-holistic-approach.html

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No milk bone, no Iams, no Dentasticks!!! You will save a lot of vet bills down the road. Btw Dentasticks if a form of rawhide which is NOT digestible. So it could have accumulated inside. At Costco they sell 100% dry beef in a blue bag. Get that for real treats and the kibbles mentioned. And book mark https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ and read recommendations. Stick to 5 star food!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/57090-holistic-approach.html

:up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

I second the beef liver treats from Costco, my dog loves them. https://www.costco.com/Chewmasters-Freeze-Dried-Beef-Liver-Bites-17.6-oz%2c-2-pack.product.100146977.html

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I’m guessing he got into something that you don’t know about...or that the surgery in Jan was incomplete. We’ve seen objects in stomachs for over a year before needing removal. Our Dozer chewed up a small rubber basketball and looking for something else it showed up in his stomach. Over a year later he started having stomach problems so we went in and got it.
Our Myra ate the feet off of a ball shaped toy (looked like Mike from Monsters, Inc.). She did that in Dec shortly after Christmas. Four months later in April she pooped out the only 2-foot turd I’ve ever seen. I have no idea how she managed to pass it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Don't ever count on a Bulldog not chewing or swallowing something---there is always that ONE time. Keep things put up as best you can never say never.

Most Reactions