Lunasmommies

Sep 2, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
So a little background. Luna is almost 14 weeks. She tested positive for parasites right after we got her (we have had her for 1 month now) she had vomiting and diarrhea because of it. In the month that we have had her she has been on a couple of different foods. The breeder had her on Taste of the Wild. During her diarrhea and vomiting the vet told me to give her boiled chicken and rice which we did for a few days. Her vet had also given me some Royal Canin to give her. She only had a little bit of that mix in with her normal food for about 3 days. Then we put her on zignature lamb dry food. She seems to really like the food BUT she is pooping a lot. The vet told me that if she's eating three times a day she should be pooping 3 maybe 4 times a day. Yesterday she pooped 9 times and today she has already pooped 3 times (shes been awake for less than 3 hours). Her poops are pretty much like soft serve, sometimes a little more firm than soft serve (No diarrhea). She is acting normal and drinking lots of water.
The vet said they will retest her poop at her next apt which isnt for 3 weeks. I feel like that's too long to wait with her pooping so much.

So my question is, Do you think that her pooping that much could be from the food she is on? Her vet said that the brand of food shes on is maybe "too much" for her system and that we may need to switch.

Do I wait 3 more weeks for her test to see if she still has the parasites or just go ahead and switch?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
How much food are you feeding her-how many times a day/amount? Sometimes if pups are getting too much food, they will have "too much poop!" It could possibly be that the food is too rich, or does not agree with her, but I would try cutting down on the amount first,and see if that helps....to keep on changing right away-you will never get her straightened out. Someone may have a better suggestion, as I never have used that food.

OP
L

Lunasmommies

Sep 2, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
Shes eating a total of a little bit over 2 cups a day, that's split up into 3 feedings. She just had poop number 4 for today and she hasnt even had lunch yet.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would take a stool sample to the vet now, and have him check it. You could also try giving her some pumpkin with her food (pure-not pie mix.) a tablespoon,
Has vet checked for roundworms,tapeworms,giardia(sp) coccidiosis? All these will be suspect,too,if not checked.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
When I first put Monty on Zignature, he poo'd for England! I couldn't believe how much was coming out of that dog! It settled down after several days and has been normal ever since.

OP
L

Lunasmommies

Sep 2, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I would take a stool sample to the vet now, and have him check it. You could also try giving her some pumpkin with her food (pure-not pie mix.) a tablespoon,
Has vet checked for roundworms,tapeworms,giardia(sp) coccidiosis? All these will be suspect,too,if not checked.

She was tested for roundworm, hookworm and whipworm, those were negative. She tested positive for Giardia. This was on Aug. 28th. She was given medication for it then.
Shes been on the zignature for about 20 days now.

OP
L

Lunasmommies

Sep 2, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
Here are her test results and invoices from her vet so you can see what medication shes taken.

Attachments

• 20180922_164613.jpg
    20180922_164613.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 176
  • 20180922_165003.jpg
    20180922_165003.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 20180922_164918.jpg
    20180922_164918.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 172

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
She may still have the giardia...it can be difficult to control in a dog with a rookie immune system. You may need to get back on the Metro.
Also, with all the changes in food and the giardia, and the aggravated gut in a young pup, it's not surprising that there's soft serve. You might consider dialing back the food a little...1/2 cup per feeding. Take a stool sample to your Vet and have them check it out. There's no need to wait for 3 more weeks. I'd not change the food again until all else is ruled out.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Zignature doesn't report if their foods are suitable for puppies, so you would probably be better off with Fromm Heartland Large Breed Grain Free puppy, for example.

Your dog had cocciodosis ( the isospora for which he was treated with a sulfa drug ) and giardia ( for which he was treated with Panacur and metronidazole . Both of these can recur, so it pays to retest for the cocciodosis, and retreat empirically one more time with Panacur+/- Metronidazole for the giardia. The giardia is often not detected, that is why I'm recommending retreating for it empirically. Also wash dog and disinfect environment thoroughly.

OP
L

Lunasmommies

Sep 2, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I'm going to bring them the poop sample tomorrow morning. I feel bad that shes pooping so much. She pooped 10 times yesterday. As for cutting back on her food I feel so bad doing that. She already acts like shes starving to death before her feeding times. I just dont want her to be hungry :(

OP
L

Lunasmommies

Sep 2, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I will look into a different food if her tests come back negative. Her zignature does say you can give it to puppies though.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I just dont want her to be hungry :(
every healthy Bulldog we’ve known is always hungry. Feeding her more than you should will not change her level of “hungry”.
The reason I mentioned cutting food back is to give her digestive tract less work. An overworked gut will not process the food and it will come out as partially processed. Not only that, it’s wasted money.

OP
L

Lunasmommies

Sep 2, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
every healthy Bulldog we’ve know is always hungry. Feeding her more than you should will not change her level of “hungry”.
The reason I mentioned cutting food back is to give her digestive tract less work. An overworked gut will not process the food and it will come out as partially processed. Not only that, it’s wasted money.

Ok :cry::cry::cry: I will give her less at lunch and dinner. Hopefully it helps her. I really just want her to get better. Not that shes acting sick, she is still acting like her normal crazy self. My neighbors are probably peeking out their windows saying "damn, that puppy poops alot" :lol:

OP
L

Lunasmommies

Sep 2, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
The amount of times a day Luna poops has went down some since cutting back on her food. The consistency of it varies though. Shes has a few solid ones but its most the consistency of soft serve ice cream. She seems to be ok eating less, it doesnt look like shes lost any weight.
Her vet called to say that all of her results came back negative besides the giardia. She said that it can take up to 6 months for it to stop showing up in her poop samples and that she does not think that we should give her any more medication for it right now. I told her that I cut her food back to see if it would help her poop less which she was not on board with until she looked up the calorie count in the food. She then said shes eating the correct calories per day. She said she should be eating around 500 calories per day. Is that correct? Shes 14.5 pounds and 14.5 weeks old. She still thinks that I should change her food. She said that if we are insistent on staying with the same brand maybe switch to Turkey because it's easier on the stomach. She said maybe we should put her on a prescription food for a month to see if that helps. I told her we would give it a couple more days and then decide. I'm assuming shes talking about royal canin? If so then definitely no to that.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Giardia treatment should always be repeated at least once in three weeks time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.