Thread: Picky Eaters... Who's Got One?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lincoln
    Likes (Received)

Default Picky Eaters... Who's Got One?

Hello Everyone!

I am wondering who here has dealt with their Bulldogs being picky eaters? It sounds so foreign to me that ANY bully would be a picky eater, but my Lincoln is for sure a picky eater, and he has been since he was a puppy. I've been experimenting with different foods lately, and I have discovered that he will only eat certain foods that I give him. For the longest time I've been trying to feed him the Kirkland Seafood kibble, but he always acted uninterested and many times walked away without eating any of it. He will also NOT touch his food if anything is mixed in. I did a test run with two other brands, Orijen and Zignature, and he gobbled it right up. It appears that he wants me to buy him super expensive premium food He is a healthy 50 lbs boy, but I don't think I could overfeed him if I tried!

Anyone else here have picky eaters and are there certain kibbles your bully won't eat?

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Picky Eaters... Who's Got One?

Nope, not 1 in over 1000 have been so picky as to refuse what we offer. Sometimes one might go hungry for a few days before they "get it", but none have starved and all have finally given in.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

3. Likes Dollys Owner, 2BullyMama, Manydogs liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rbourque314 View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I am wondering who here has dealt with their Bulldogs being picky eaters? It sounds so foreign to me that ANY bully would be a picky eater, but my Lincoln is for sure a picky eater, and he has been since he was a puppy. I've been experimenting with different foods lately, and I have discovered that he will only eat certain foods that I give him. For the longest time I've been trying to feed him the Kirkland Seafood kibble, but he always acted uninterested and many times walked away without eating any of it. He will also NOT touch his food if anything is mixed in. I did a test run with two other brands, Orijen and Zignature, and he gobbled it right up. It appears that he wants me to buy him super expensive premium food He is a healthy 50 lbs boy, but I don't think I could overfeed him if I tried!

Anyone else here have picky eaters and are there certain kibbles your bully won't eat?
    Giving a good quality dog food will save you vet bills in the long run. Kirkland salmon formula is probably made from farmed salmon, so not that healthy. My dog has only refused to eat Fromm brand, loves all the other brands.

5. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Yup, you sure can’t compare orijen/acana or zignature to Kirkland. Like would you rather have fillet mignon or blade roast?

It is more expensive but like mentioned you’ll have less visits to the vet... orijen n acana is the same company and acana is the only one that has tripe inside. So there’s one good example.

7. Likes 2BullyMama, Cbrugs liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Agreed... better the food the less you spend on meds or vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

9. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Never had a picky eater of any breed. When more than one-they worry that someone else will eat it! I also had a vet who said "when they get hungry enough, they will eat"
    (providing no one is ill....) He may have you trained
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Dog Show Judge
    Real Name
    Hope
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
    Likes (Received)

Bella has trained me well! She is such a picky eater. Every couple of weeks I make something like a stew to add to her (all dog food) just a 1/4 cup or so.
    I make it with either chicken breast or calf liver with brown rice. And a mixture of green beans, kidney beans, broccoli. I put that in a crock pot. I will freeze batches of it and it lasts a couple of weeks.
    Funny because I remember having to put a tennis ball in her food dish to slow her down when she was a puppy. Not now she is a very slow eater.

** hint DO NOT cook the liver in the house whatever you do. Lol. The smell is AWFUL. I cook it out in the back porch.

12. Likes Lalaloopsie liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

I don’t mind fried calf liver with onions and mashed potato or spicy peri-peri chicken livers...yum...

Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

It’s interesting that as I feed Tank only real food and even make him his own turkey jerky in dehydrator, he completely refuses to eat kibble or treats from the shop. When someone tries to treat him in the pet shop or vet clinic, he rolls the thing on the floor, sniffs it, drools a lot, but doesn’t eat it. Seems like he knows that it’s imitation of food!

Dog Show Judge
    Real Name
    Hope
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
    Likes (Received)

I have eaten (never cooked) beef liver and onions myself and I do like fried chicken livers too!
    It must be the crockpot that makes the liver smell awful while cooking it.
    And I just bought a dehydrator to make beef jerky yummy!! @Lalaloopsie Tell me what you do for the turkey jerky for the pups! I suppose I could do chicken jerky too for them!

Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

For jerky I take breast of turkey (chicken will work perfect too), no skin, no bone. Cut it into quite thick pieces around 1 inch thick. Then I pour some white vinegar in the bowl and dip each piece for a second for disinfection. After that I put all pieces on a big plate and sprinkle with coarse Norton salt ( they say for jerky coarse is better than fine) from both sides. After that I put them into container and leave for 3 hours in the fridge for salt to penetrate. After 3 hours I pat dry all pieces with kitchen towels and place in dehydrator for 18-24 hours, i check the degree of dryness from time to time, as Tank doesn’t chew (too greedy) and I don’t want pieces to be too hard. But beware that the softer are the pieces, the more prone they will be to mold after some time (may be after 1 month) even in the fridge. So, if you want your treats to stay fresh longer, dry them longer. I leave them pretty soft, so sometimes I cut thin slices myself and put it on piece of baguette with butter and munch it. Bad Mom stealing poor puppy treats!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barre
    Likes (Received)

Hello! Our love boiled chicken or turkey breast and chicken liver. And he only eats when he sees that I eat it. Cunning.

18. Likes oscarmayer liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads