Picky Eaters... Who's Got One?

rbourque314

Jun 25, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lincoln
Hello Everyone!

I am wondering who here has dealt with their Bulldogs being picky eaters? It sounds so foreign to me that ANY bully would be a picky eater, but my Lincoln is for sure a picky eater, and he has been since he was a puppy. I've been experimenting with different foods lately, and I have discovered that he will only eat certain foods that I give him. For the longest time I've been trying to feed him the Kirkland Seafood kibble, but he always acted uninterested and many times walked away without eating any of it. He will also NOT touch his food if anything is mixed in. I did a test run with two other brands, Orijen and Zignature, and he gobbled it right up. It appears that he wants me to buy him super expensive premium food :yell: He is a healthy 50 lbs boy, but I don't think I could overfeed him if I tried!

Anyone else here have picky eaters and are there certain kibbles your bully won't eat?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Nope, not 1 in over 1000 have been so picky as to refuse what we offer. Sometimes one might go hungry for a few days before they "get it", but none have starved and all have finally given in.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hello Everyone!

I am wondering who here has dealt with their Bulldogs being picky eaters? It sounds so foreign to me that ANY bully would be a picky eater, but my Lincoln is for sure a picky eater, and he has been since he was a puppy. I've been experimenting with different foods lately, and I have discovered that he will only eat certain foods that I give him. For the longest time I've been trying to feed him the Kirkland Seafood kibble, but he always acted uninterested and many times walked away without eating any of it. He will also NOT touch his food if anything is mixed in. I did a test run with two other brands, Orijen and Zignature, and he gobbled it right up. It appears that he wants me to buy him super expensive premium food :yell: He is a healthy 50 lbs boy, but I don't think I could overfeed him if I tried!

Anyone else here have picky eaters and are there certain kibbles your bully won't eat?

Giving a good quality dog food will save you vet bills in the long run. Kirkland salmon formula is probably made from farmed salmon, so not that healthy. My dog has only refused to eat Fromm brand, loves all the other brands.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yup, you sure can’t compare orijen/acana or zignature to Kirkland. Like would you rather have fillet mignon or blade roast?

It is more expensive but like mentioned you’ll have less visits to the vet... orijen n acana is the same company and acana is the only one that has tripe inside. So there’s one good example.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... better the food the less you spend on meds or vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Never had a picky eater of any breed. When more than one-they worry that someone else will eat it! I also had a vet who said "when they get hungry enough, they will eat"
(providing no one is ill....):yes: He may have you trained :yes:

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Bella has trained me well! She is such a picky eater. Every couple of weeks I make something like a stew to add to her (all dog food) just a 1/4 cup or so.
I make it with either chicken breast or calf liver with brown rice. And a mixture of green beans, kidney beans, broccoli. I put that in a crock pot. I will freeze batches of it and it lasts a couple of weeks.
Funny because I remember having to put a tennis ball in her food dish to slow her down when she was a puppy. Not now she is a very slow eater.

** hint DO NOT cook the liver in the house whatever you do. Lol. The smell is AWFUL. I cook it out in the back porch.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I don’t mind fried calf liver with onions and mashed potato or spicy peri-peri chicken livers...yum...

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It’s interesting that as I feed Tank only real food and even make him his own turkey jerky in dehydrator, he completely refuses to eat kibble or treats from the shop. When someone tries to treat him in the pet shop or vet clinic, he rolls the thing on the floor, sniffs it, drools a lot, but doesn’t eat it. Seems like he knows that it’s imitation of food!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I have eaten (never cooked) beef liver and onions myself and I do like fried chicken livers too!
It must be the crockpot that makes the liver smell awful while cooking it. :bad::drool:
And I just bought a dehydrator to make beef jerky yummy!! [MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] Tell me what you do for the turkey jerky for the pups! I suppose I could do chicken jerky too for them!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
For jerky I take breast of turkey (chicken will work perfect too), no skin, no bone. Cut it into quite thick pieces around 1 inch thick. Then I pour some white vinegar in the bowl and dip each piece for a second for disinfection. After that I put all pieces on a big plate and sprinkle with coarse Norton salt ( they say for jerky coarse is better than fine) from both sides. After that I put them into container and leave for 3 hours in the fridge for salt to penetrate. After 3 hours I pat dry all pieces with kitchen towels and place in dehydrator for 18-24 hours, i check the degree of dryness from time to time, as Tank doesn’t chew (too greedy) and I don’t want pieces to be too hard. But beware that the softer are the pieces, the more prone they will be to mold after some time (may be after 1 month) even in the fridge. So, if you want your treats to stay fresh longer, dry them longer. I leave them pretty soft, so sometimes I cut thin slices myself and put it on piece of baguette with butter and munch it. Bad Mom stealing poor puppy treats!

Marte

Jul 26, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barre
Hello! Our love boiled chicken or turkey breast and chicken liver. And he only eats when he sees that I eat it. Cunning.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola is a very picky eater and i've resorted to hand feeding her at times (she is 6 1/2 now). With her attitude and her allergies, we've moved through lots of really great kibbles, freeze dried foods, jerky like kibbles, all the exotic proteins. Her best run was on NVI raw frozen pellets. When she stopped eating that we moved to real raw (ground). Now we are on Tylees frozen but cooked food. I know its not the best (it's not terrible, it is grain free). but she does it it all by herself 80% of the time. :) stinkers....

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Both Logan and Brett are picky eater. I’ve tried all fruits that they are allowed to have. I would add it with their kibble and they’ll ignore the food. They’ll only eat their kibbles if I clean all the other foreign foods for them [emoji23]. Logan would tolerate the Greek yogurt but Brett hates it. Anything healthy they’ll ignore -_-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.