Robieducks

Sep 4, 2018
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Eggsy
hi guys, just a few questions:

I recently adopted an English bulldog who is now 23 months. He only weighs 14.5Kg and I am hoping to make him add a few pounds. Now my question is:

1. I am using Nutram Grain-Free salmon and trout. grain-free means it doesn't have rice and corn which means it doesn't have much carbs. Now as a person when I try to lose weight, I do all protein diet. Eggs and meat only, and it usually gets the job done. Does giving him grain-free means he will only pack muscles? Should I give him carbs?

2. What are supplements of food additives that I can give him to support his weight gain. Can I give him bacon as treats or supplement his meals with Virigin coconut oil and the likes. Your suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
hi guys, just a few questions:

I recently adopted an English bulldog who is now 23 months. He only weighs 14.5Kg and I am hoping to make him add a few pounds. Now my question is:

1. I am using Nutram Grain-Free salmon and trout. grain-free means it doesn't have rice and corn which means it doesn't have much carbs. Now as a person when I try to lose weight, I do all protein diet. Eggs and meat only, and it usually gets the job done. Does giving him grain-free means he will only pack muscles? Should I give him carbs?

2. What are supplements of food additives that I can give him to support his weight gain. Can I give him bacon as treats or supplement his meals with Virigin coconut oil and the likes. Your suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Iā€™ve read your other post... you seem to be fix on fattening him up... You just got Eggsy, why donā€™t you wait a few weeks and see how the food youā€™re giving him works. You have a quality kibble.

Green Peas, Chickpeas and Lentils Are carbs, why would you go give MORE carbs? He doesnā€™t need it! Plus itā€™s Salmon meal which means itā€™s much higher protein. You absolutely need to investigate and do research on all kibbles. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ You ask questions, we answer. But boils down on what you want to do with your dog. I personally know dog food or food in general cause Iā€™m in the food industry and trust me I know my veggies, meats, oils etc etc... so if itā€™s into a kibble form, itā€™s still food. Just heated up to make it into a kibble. I can guarantee you, you donā€™t need to up any carbs to fatten him up. So give it a couple weeks see what happens. Then slowly, start adding FRESH green beans the first week as a topper or snack, then add frozen berries for another week. Go weekly to keep track of allergies if any. If you mix everything at once you wonā€™t know whatā€™s causing the allergy. (If any)... so do your baby steps.. start slow n get to know him.

OP
R

Robieducks

Sep 4, 2018
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Eggsy
Iā€™ve read your other post... you seem to be fix on fattening him up... You just got Eggsy, why donā€™t you wait a few weeks and see how the food youā€™re giving him works. You have a quality kibble.

Green Peas, Chickpeas and Lentils Are carbs, why would you go give MORE carbs? He doesnā€™t need it! Plus itā€™s Salmon meal which means itā€™s much higher protein. You absolutely need to investigate and do research on all kibbles. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ You ask questions, we answer. But boils down on what you want to do with your dog. I personally know dog food or food in general cause Iā€™m in the food industry and trust me I know my veggies, meats, oils etc etc... so if itā€™s into a kibble form, itā€™s still food. Just heated up to make it into a kibble. I can guarantee you, you donā€™t need to up any carbs to fatten him up. So give it a couple weeks see what happens. Then slowly, start adding FRESH green beans the first week as a topper or snack, then add frozen berries for another week. Go weekly to keep track of allergies if any. If you mix everything at once you wonā€™t know whatā€™s causing the allergy. (If any)... so do your baby steps.. start slow n get to know him.

Thanks again! Ive done a lot of research on kibbles and ingredients and i think Nutram Total Salmon and Trout is really the best for him. Thanks a lot. Would keep you posted.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'm no expert on nutrition but have a slim bulldog. Bulldogs are like people in the sense that they come in all sizes. Unless there is an underlying medical condition or allergies, any good quality kibble (or raw food, etc) will be good for him. Castor is five and will never be a big boy. He's 18-19 kilos and there is no chance we could add several kilos to his weight without giving him some weird supplement. When he was younger I was a bit worried that he was too slim but I've come to realise he is not a heavy bulldog and that he will always be smaller than his parents (his dad was 25 kilos and mum 23 or so). The good thing is we can carry him if needed!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As said Bulldogs come in all shapes and sizes. They grow up the first year out the second year and you will see some broadening during the third year mostly with the head and shoulders. I would not worry about adding any weight as if it is not his natural build you will have a joint issues down the road.

Can you post some pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online