Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
[h=1]Fruits and veggies for pets[/h]
dog-apple.jpg

We all know that smaller pets, such as rabbits, hamsters, and guinea pigs, love fruit and vegetables. But did you know that fruits such as bananas, oranges, and mangoes all make great additions to your dog or cat's diet?

Whether you're looking to slim down your pet's waistline, or are just looking for healthy alternatives to commercial pet treats, we've got a great list for you! Many of the fruits and vegetables we eat can also be given to our pets, however some can be dangerous and should be avoided entirely. Find out which fruits and vegetables are safe to feed your pet:

[h=2]Adding new foods to pet diets[/h]Introducing new foods into your pet's diet may cause upset stomach issues such as vomiting or diarrhea. Be cautious to introduce only one new fruit or vegetable at a time to help you spot any health changes.
[h=3]Fruit[/h]Steer clear of: Cherries are toxic to cats and dogs, and grapes and raisins can cause kidney damage. Citrus fruits like lemons, limes, and grapefruit as well as persimmons can cause an upset stomach. All the following fruits are safe for your dog or cat to eat. In general fruits are higher in sugar than vegetables, and thus should be limited in overweight pets. However, be sure to wash all fruits and remove rinds, inedible skins, seeds, and pits before feeding to pets.

[h=2]Apple
[/h][h=2]Apricot
[/h][h=2]Banana
[/h][h=2]Blueberries
[/h][h=2]Cantaloupe
[/h][h=2]Cranberries
[/h][h=2]Mango
[/h][h=2]Orange
[/h][h=2]Pear
[/h][h=2]Pineapple
[/h][h=2]Raspberries
[/h][h=2]Strawberries
[/h][h=2]Watermelon
[/h][h=3]Vegetables[/h]Steer clear of: Never feed your pet onions or garlic as they are toxic in all forms: cooked, raw, and even onion powder. These cause damage to the red blood cells, ultimately causing them to burst. Rhubarb and wild mushrooms also contain toxins. We suggest avoiding corn as it is a common allergen among pets.
The following vegetables are suitable for your dog or cat to eat. Consider steaming or boiling cruciferous veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage, as they are much easier to digest when cooked. Cats may need the vegetables to be pureed, or for convenience can be fed a vegetable baby food without onions or garlic.

[h=2]Asparagus
[/h][h=2]Bell Peppers (red, green, orange, yellow)
[/h][h=2]Broccoli
[/h][h=2]Brussels Sprouts
[/h][h=2]Cabbage
[/h][h=2]Carrots
[/h][h=2]Cauliflower
[/h][h=2]Celery
[/h][h=2]Cucumber
[/h][h=2]Green Beans
[/h][h=2]Lettuce
[/h][h=2]Peas
[/h][h=2]Pumpkin
[/h][h=2]Spinach
[/h][h=2]Sweet Potato
[/h][h=2]Zucchini
[/h][h=3]Tips for feeding your pet fruits and vegetables from Trupanion veterinarian, Dr. Sarah Nold[/h]Trupanion veterinarian, Sarah Nold, DVM, offers expert advice on incorporating fruits and vegetables into your pet’s diet, including which fruits and vegetables have the biggest health benefits and what to do if you believe your cat or dog may have a food allergy.
[h=4]Why should I include fruits and vegetables in my pet’s diet?[/h]Your pet’s diet should be nutritionally balanced, low in fat and appropriate for your pet’s life stage. Adding fruits and vegetables to your pet’s diet will help ensure that they’re getting plenty of essential nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, to help them stay strong and healthy and boost their immune system. Pet treats can also be high in calories, so fruits and vegetables can provide a healthier alternative.
[h=4]How many fruits and vegetables should I feed my pet?[/h]I recommend moderation of any fruit or vegetable, even if considered safe. In addition, if their dog/cat is being treated by a veterinarian for an underlying medical condition it would be recommended to consult with the veterinarian before starting any new fruit or vegetable.
Small amounts of vegetables can be incorporated into your pet’s regular food at meal times, or pea-sized pieces of fruits or vegetables can be given to your pet as a healthy, low-calorie snack. However, avoid feeding your pet fruits such as strawberries, bananas, and pineapple too often as they contain high levels of sugar.
[h=4]Which fruits and vegetables are bad for your pet?[/h]In the same way that chocolate is toxic to cats and dogs, some fruits and vegetables are too. Onions, garlic, wild mushrooms, avocado, and rhubarb are all poisonous to pets, and corn is also a common allergen. You should also avoid feeding grapes and raisins to your pet, as they can cause kidney damage.
[h=4]Does my pet have an allergy to a certain fruit or vegetable?[/h]You should always gradually introduce any new foods to your pet’s diet to avoid any stomach upsets. Feed your pet small amounts of the fruit or vegetable to begin with, and always introduce one type of fruit or vegetable at a time so if your pet does have an adverse reaction, it will be easier for you to determine the cause. Corn may be an allergen, however it is a lot less common then others (including beef, dairy, wheat, chicken and egg in dogs). Beef, dairy and fish are considered the most common food allergens in cats.
Symptoms of a food allergy include sickness, diarrhea, and skin problems, however your veterinarian will be able to confirm for sure if your pet has an allergy and can advise on the best course of action.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Marte

Jul 26, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barre
My dog likes fresh cucumbers and fresh cabbage. Friends gave the dog an apricot and had a severe allergy. You have to be careful with the fruit.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online