General Question Broths for Dogs

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I was reading about broths. There are different kinds of broths; beef, chicken and vegetable. I read it helps senior dogs with detox of the kidneys and liver and benefits healthy joints and shiny coat.

It got me to want to give this to my girl who turned 9 last July. The broths must be organic if you decide to buy from the store . Online they have recipes to make your own very simple keep water from your boiled chicken or beef and add Apple cider vinegar it didnā€™t say which kind my guess organic kind the Bragg brand. Very informative.

Does anyone give broth to their bulldog? If so, is it good? Bad? So-so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I give bone broth but I donā€™t make it myself. I just buy the powder by The Honest Kitchen and mix it with hot water.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was reading about broths. There are different kinds of broths; beef, chicken and vegetable. I read it helps senior dogs with detox of the kidneys and liver and benefits healthy joints and shiny coat.

It got me to want to give this to my girl who turned 9 last July. The broths must be organic if you decide to buy from the store . Online they have recipes to make your own very simple keep water from your boiled chicken or beef and add Apple cider vinegar it didnā€™t say which kind my guess organic kind the Bragg brand. Very informative.

Does anyone give broth to their bulldog? If so, is it good? Bad? So-so?

I do...I boil a big turkey for at least 8hrs. Always top it with water. Once cooled off remove fat!! I freeze in little ziplock n ice cube trays. I give it the them as treats.

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I give bone broth but I donā€™t make it myself. I just buy the powder by The Honest Kitchen and mix it with hot water.

Do you see any results like shiny coat, healthy bones, cleaning their kidneys?

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I do...I boil a big turkey for at least 8hrs. Always top it with water. Once cooled off remove fat!! I freeze in little ziplock n ice cube trays. I give it the them as treats.

Do you see any results from the broth like shiny coat or healthy joints?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you see any results from the broth like shiny coat or healthy joints?

Wait let me go knock on wood before I say something....:rundog::rundog::

Remember when your mom or grandma made you chicken soup for a cold? Itā€™s because itā€™s loaded of minerals which you will not get from the powder form or capsules. Thereā€™s just something different in real carcass that your body needs. Nyalaā€™s fur is very soft n silky. Sheā€™s my Iron Lady. Duke itā€™s been a few months his fur is beautiful n no more little holes either. Joints???!!!?!?! Well now, I have 2super active dogs. Duke is my flying torpedo n jumps from sofa to sofa and even a 3foot bed like it was nothing. Doesnā€™t need to get a head start...walks once and up he goes. Nyala doesnā€™t jump like Duke but she is just as active.

Is it the broth, the raw meals, the veggies, fruits, probiotics??? Idk. But I sure can guarantee you that for any dog to be active like these 2, just like humans, itā€™s what they eat. Broth cleans the liver, kidneys, stronger hair/coat cause itā€™s loaded of minerals which will keep all cartilage and what holds your joints together much stronger. I donā€™t believe in powder form cause not matter what, it will have to be heated to a point for it to turned to powder. Just like a kibble. So no matter what you will lose the quality of it. Like buying fish oils in capsules. Itā€™s heated and useless imo. Anyway, capsules are very dangerous for dogs.....Iā€™m in the food industry and plus I was raised to try eating fresh as much as you can. So why not make yourself a nice turkey soup n freeze some broth for future use!

https://draxe.com/the-healing-power-of-bone-broth-for-digestion-arthritis-and-cellulite/

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Remember when your mom or grandma made you chicken soup for a cold? Itā€™s because itā€™s loaded of minerals which you will not get from the powder form or capsules. Thereā€™s just something different in real carcass that your body needs. Nyalaā€™s fur is very soft n silky. Sheā€™s my Iron Lady. Duke itā€™s been a few months his fur is beautiful n no more little holes either. Joints???!!!?!?! Well now, I have 2super active dogs. Duke is my flying torpedo n jumps from sofa to sofa and even a 3foot bed like it was nothing. Doesnā€™t need to get a head start...walks once and up he goes. Nyala doesnā€™t jump like Duke but she is just as active.

Is it the broth, the raw meals, the veggies, fruits, probiotics??? Idk. But I sure can guarantee you that for any dog to be active like these 2, just like humans, itā€™s what they eat. Broth cleans the liver, kidneys, stronger hair/coat cause itā€™s loaded of minerals which will keep all cartilage and what holds your joints together much stronger. I donā€™t believe in powder form cause not matter what, it will have to be heated to a point for it to turned to powder. Just like a kibble. So no matter what you will lose the quality of it. Like buying fish oils in capsules. Itā€™s heated and useless imo. Anyway, capsules are very dangerous for dogs.....Iā€™m in the food industry and plus I was raised to try eating fresh as much as you can. So why not make yourself a nice turkey soup n freeze some broth for future use!

https://draxe.com/the-healing-power-of-bone-broth-for-digestion-arthritis-and-cellulite/

I totally believe that fresh broth is probably better than the powdered one but being a vegetarian, making bone broth ainā€™t gonna happen. These guys get their raw meals, marrow bones, fermented fish stock, duck eggs and thatā€™s probably as far as I can go without getting creeped out lol. I used to give canned sardines once a week but then got some fresh frozen ones and talk about the heebie jeebies. That fish eye was just staring at me. Louie wouldnā€™t even touch it and he eats anything. So I sold the rest and am going back to the canned.

But to me, powdered bone broth is hopefully better than no bone broth.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
sprouts and trader joes also sell bone broth.... from organic chicken and beef and not expensive. I have just ordered 'us' one from "kettle & fire" that both of us love ;) More expensive but look it up :) pretty cool :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I totally believe that fresh broth is probably better than the powdered one but being a vegetarian, making bone broth ainā€™t gonna happen. These guys get their raw meals, marrow bones, fermented fish stock, duck eggs and thatā€™s probably as far as I can go without getting creeped out lol. I used to give canned sardines once a week but then got some fresh frozen ones and talk about the heebie jeebies. That fish eye was just staring at me. Louie wouldnā€™t even touch it and he eats anything. So I sold the rest and am going back to the canned.

But to me, powdered bone broth is hopefully better than no bone broth.

Did you know heath food stores sells fresh broth even for vegetarians? Youā€™ll find it in the fridge section.

Btw, maybe that fish was just winking at you! :D

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Like buying fish oils in capsules. Itā€™s heated and useless imo. Anyway, capsules are very dangerous for dogs.....Iā€™m in the food industry and plus I was raised to try eating fresh as much as you can. So why not make yourself a nice turkey soup n freeze some broth for future use!

Dr. Becker recommends fish oil in airless pumps or in capsules that can be cut open or squeezed out. https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2015/06/11/omega-3-fatty-acids-benefits.aspx

Fish oil is packaged into softgels which prevent oxidation of the oil inside the capsule. The product is usually packaged in an inert gas atmosphere to prevent oxidation during packaging. I feel confident that a fish oil that has been tested for purity is good enough for my dog. Since the fish oil I buy doesn't have Vitamin E I supplement with that once a week as well.

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

You very fortunate to have healthy spunky dogs. I am new at this whole dog owner business , please forgive me for being naive.

I like to gain knowledge from people like you and learn a thing or two.

My dog is a senior and running and fetching was never in her vocabulary. By the way, I adopted Miss Porkchop and never ever was a Bulldog owner . You can say, I am pretty novice to this entire thing. I appreciate your input. Thank you very much!

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Awww.. I bet they love it! Thank you for that treat tip.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Did you know heath food stores sells fresh broth even for vegetarians? Youā€™ll find it in the fridge section.

Btw, maybe that fish was just winking at you! :D

Oh Iā€™ll have to check it out.

That fish is still haunting me [emoji23] I cut off his head ROFL

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Oh Iā€™ll have to check it out.

That fish is still haunting me [emoji23] I cut off his head ROFL

I know the feeling!! i was a veg for 35 years.. And reason was because i loved the critters. i still cant hang on some of the raw feeders pages as they feed whole duck heads etc and other such things and i just cant do it :(

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
You very fortunate to have healthy spunky dogs. I am new at this whole dog owner business , please forgive me for being naive.

I like to gain knowledge from people like you and learn a thing or two.

My dog is a senior and running and fetching was never in her vocabulary. By the way, I adopted Miss Porkchop and never ever was a Bulldog owner . You can say, I am pretty novice to this entire thing. I appreciate your input. Thank you very much!

Funny, I had dogs all my life but never any bully form.... Then Nyala came along. Learned a lot like you...never had EB. Then Duke came along :faint: itā€™s with him I had to learn ASAP. EB are different in a way. But you know what, from what Iā€™ve learned n study on them, absolutely no difference with any other breed. The might have a tad more of allergies so just that makes you toy around with what to feed them n what works and itā€™s a flat nose dog with breathing problems. The rest for health issues, youā€™ll find the exact same issues in other dogs. I say we all go with the flow n learn as we go.

Btw, did you every get your diffuser? You using it? :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.