ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wallygator is having a rough summer... Ugh!!!

I've been giving him Fromm's forever, so I decided to do a slow switch to Acana Red to see if he liked it. He absolutely hated it, in fact he would push around his mixed meals so he didn't have to eat it. I'm still giving him NuVet supplement, tbsp of yogurt, coconut oil, Herbsmith Microflora Plus, and melatonin at night for his bald spots. He also gets Cytopoint injections as needed...

His symptoms are... goopy eyes, interdigital cysts (we've had 3 this summer), one ear is constantly dirty, hair loss on his flanks and his weight has packed on this summer. I can get his weight managed as soon as it starts cooling off this summer, he loves to go on daily walks... but I could use some advice on the rest of it.

Allergies are off the charts here this summer... I have been miserable myself. I'm SO ready for Fall :pumpkin:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor eats Acana Lamb and Apples and highly recommends it.

He gets interdigital cysts too and we try to keep them in check with chlorehexidine but now I've ordered some tar oil that is supposed to be good. The fact that it's been very dry here over summer has been beneficial for his feet, though.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Castor eats Acana Lamb and Apples and highly recommends it.

He gets interdigital cysts too and we try to keep them in check with chlorehexidine but now I've ordered some tar oil that is supposed to be good. The fact that it's been very dry here over summer has been beneficial for his feet, though.

Maybe I'll have to try another variety of Acana... Wallygator is picky!!! Lol

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Why don't you try switching him to a dehydrated raw like Honest Kitchen limited ingredient eg Spruce,Marvel,Hope,Brave ?
If not then a limited ingredient kibble like one of the Acana limited ingredient such as duck and apple as mentioned, or Zignature,or Earthborne Holistic limited ingredient Venture line.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Why don't you try switching him to a dehydrated raw like Honest Kitchen limited ingredient eg Spruce,Marvel,Hope,Brave ?
If not then a limited ingredient kibble like one of the Acana limited ingredient such as duck and apple as mentioned, or Zignature,or Earthborne Holistic limited ingredient Venture line.

I'm going to try the limited ingredients ones... I just don't know if he would eat the Honest Kitchen. I think he liked the consistency of his crunchy kibble to be honest... Lol I'm so tempted to go raw, I may really have to make the jump.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm going to try the limited ingredients ones... I just don't know if he would eat the Honest Kitchen. I think he liked the consistency of his crunchy kibble to be honest... Lol I'm so tempted to go raw, I may really have to make the jump.

Frozen raw is the best for allergies, even better than dehydrated raw. But it's got its drawbacks- freezer space, having to partially thaw it to cut it up, possibility of contamination of surfaces in kitchen if you don't clean well, probably having to switch to a dehydrated raw or kibble if you go away or travel with dog. I also find my dog regurgitates and throws up more on it, but not everyone experiences that. I find cost isn't too bad since I get the ground frozen raw from a local company delivered direct.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am sorry to hear that Wally has such allergies,but don't have an answer for you.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Maybe try a limited ingredient kibble. If all else fails, maybe it’s time to try raw? Sudoku you wipe his paws down with Duoxo or some other medicated wipe? Jax is my allergy dog. He never got bad goopy eyes or ear infections but once I switched him to raw it did help some. I was also giving him a bath every week with a medicated shampoo. Now that he’s on Cytopoint it has made a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frozen raw is the best for allergies, even better than dehydrated raw. But it's got its drawbacks- freezer space, having to partially thaw it to cut it up, possibility of contamination of surfaces in kitchen if you don't clean well, probably having to switch to a dehydrated raw or kibble if you go away or travel with dog. I also find my dog regurgitates and throws up more on it, but not everyone experiences that. I find cost isn't too bad since I get the ground frozen raw from a local company delivered direct.

I did the frozen raw patties for my boxer Roxie when she got so very sick... of course she loved it!!! What company do you use? I may have to seriously consider it... I don't mind the cost. Are you using Honest Kitchen as your travel food?

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe try a limited ingredient kibble. If all else fails, maybe it’s time to try raw? Sudoku you wipe his paws down with Duoxo or some other medicated wipe? Jax is my allergy dog. He never got bad goopy eyes or ear infections but once I switched him to raw it did help some. I was also giving him a bath every week with a medicated shampoo. Now that he’s on Cytopoint it has made a world of difference.

Are you giving them both raw? The frozen patties?!!

I'll try the limited kibble first, and if that fails head to the frozen raw patties. I don't have an issue w/going raw, it will just be a PITA when we go out of town... Lol

I honestly don't know if Walter would let me wipe his feet... he can be very weird about anyone touching his tail or his paws :facepalm2:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

I'll try the limited kibble first, and if that fails head to the frozen raw patties. I don't have an issue w/going raw, it will just be a PITA when we go out of town... Lol

I honestly don't know if Walter would let me wipe his feet... he can be very weird about anyone touching his tail or his paws :facepalm2:

Jax gets 100% raw and right now Louie is getting the Zignature for his morning meal and raw for the evening meal. I use the commercial frozen raw patties since it’s already balanced and no e tea Work is needed. If you are concerned about traveling, you could then use freeze dried raw when needed. It’s more expensive but very convenient when on the road.

I’ve been wiping Louie’s paws in the mornings when he’s still half asleep. Otherwise it’s Wrestlemania trying to get it done lol.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

With all the little issues I would definitely give raw. If you do the math not much of a difference in the price of a high quality kibble n raw. Just make sure there’s bones n organs in the raw. I get my raw in 1/2 pounders so I don’t need to thaw it out. They both eat straight out of the freezer to avoid any bacteria. One pound per day (50lb weight in dog.)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I did the frozen raw patties for my boxer Roxie when she got so very sick... of course she loved it!!! What company do you use? I may have to seriously consider it... I don't mind the cost. Are you using Honest Kitchen as your travel food?

I use a local company in Ontario for frozen raw called "Big Country Raw". I buy dehydrated raw when they have sales at Petsmart, a brand called" Only Natural Pet EasyRaw" either turkey or beef, since it is cheaper than Honest Kitchen, and use it for my dog when I go away.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Allergies...try apoquel. Expensive but greatly improved Bentley' s itching. We also give him fish oil twice a day.

Give my regards to Walter for me. He must be under pressure from his publisher to get his book finished..."How To Make My Mommy Crazy Too."

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
apoquel will weaken any immune system when too long on it.

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online