MUST READ... a new study by the FDA!!!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I know! You don't know what to believe! They will probably change their minds again before long. I posted about this several days ago and [MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] included another link worth reading. Helene posted the link to the post above.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Who wants to bet these studies were funded by the big crap pet food companies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

From what I've been reading, some breeds of dogs are more predisposed to developing taurine deficiency due to genetic defect. These breeds include American Cocker Spaniels, English Setters, Golden Retrivers, Labrador Retrievers, Newfoundlands, and Saint Bernards. Also dogs with yeast conditions and cystinuria ( more common in bulldogs ) can also develop taurine deficiency. So it makes sense for raw feeders to try to feed your dog with proteins that have more taurine, at least on a rotational basis. These would include poultry ( geese, duck, turkey, chicken ) and fish.

Commercial dog kibble should have synthetic taurine added,( eg. Fromm, Earthborne Holistic) , since the protein from grains or lentils is very low in taurine, or have a high level of natural taurine rich protein and low processing temperatures ( eg. Acana, Carna4 ) so as not to need added taurine.

Read more at Taurine Deficiency In Dogs: Symptoms, Causes, And Treatments - Dogtime

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/is-protein-deficiency-hurting-your-dog/

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Who wants to bet these studies were funded by the big crap pet food companies?

It reminds me of these so call studies....wine, coffee is not good for you...a few months down the road...oh wait wine, coffee is very healthy. You canā€™t give peanuts n honey to a 6months child cause of allergies....A New study just came out a year ago saying ...we ā€œnowā€ think itā€™s better to introduce peanuts n honey at a young age so the body produces itā€™s own immunity to fight allergies. Like DUHHHHHH

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OK guys, I missed the first thread about this... sorry LOL. Someone brought it to my attention on FB, and I was FLOORED!!! I'm SO glad you ladies are staying on top of this stuff... I just honestly don't have the time at this point in my life.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
OK guys, I missed the first thread about this... sorry LOL. Someone brought it to my attention on FB, and I was FLOORED!!! I'm SO glad you ladies are staying on top of this stuff... I just honestly don't have the time at this point in my life.

No, don't be sorry. It's good you posted too so that others who missed mine, saw yours! I will be giving my boys sardines once a week from now on though. Can I give them packed in oil or does it have to be water? Anyone know? I am hoping oil is OK because that is what I eat!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No, don't be sorry. It's good you posted too so that others who missed mine, saw yours! I will be giving my boys sardines once a week from now on though. Can I give them packed in oil or does it have to be water? Anyone know? I am hoping oil is OK because that is what I eat!!

I think water is best... Dollys Owner posted about it awhile back, but if using oil it should be a certain type and I forget which

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I think water is best... Dollys Owner posted about it awhile back, but if using oil it should be a certain type and I forget which

I buy the kind that is packed in olive oil. I just did a quick search and it said packed in water, low sodium or no salt added for dogs.

Edited to add

Further searching said Olive Oil is OK, just make sure it is low salt. I will also make sure they are pretty well drained.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I buy the kind that is packed in olive oil. I just did a quick search and it said packed in water, low sodium or no salt added for dogs.

Edited to add

Further searching said Olive Oil is OK, just make sure it is low salt. I will also make sure they are pretty well drained.

How many sardines? Whole can a week or so much per pound of dog?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
How many sardines? Whole can a week or so much per pound of dog?

Split your can for both of yours. Also WATCH the sodium!! Rinse or not it was still cooked in.

- - - Updated - - -

C6923FA9-9AC7-44A0-858C-C2292F449F13.png

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I always buy the Season brand no salt added in water. The sodium content is fairly low, one of the lowest I have found. The boys love, love, love sardines. I actually ordered some frozen raw sardines recently from the co-op so Iā€™m excited for that lol. Sometimes I buy the Primal sardine chub but it gets messy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I always buy the Season brand no salt added in water. The sodium content is fairly low, one of the lowest I have found. The boys love, love, love sardines. I actually ordered some frozen raw sardines recently from the co-op so Iā€™m excited for that lol. Sometimes I buy the Primal sardine chub but it gets messy.

When I pick up their raw food, I always grab 2bags of whole frozen herrings. Each bag: 5lbs @ 12$... ohhh do they love their treat

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online