Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
When I pick up their raw food, I always grab 2bags of whole frozen herrings. Each bag: 5lbs @ 12$... ohhh do they love their treat

I ordered 5 1 pound bags. Iā€™m so mad at myself cause I should have ordered more. I know a couple times a year they have an order for sardines and mackerel, Iā€™ll have to keep my eye out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I stopped giving sardines to my dog since sardines may be contaminated with strontium after the Fukushima disaster in Japan. https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11014105-dogs-fed-sardines-show-high-strontium-levels . I used to give the sardines packed in water, about a can a week.

I give fish oil daily from a capsule that I bought from Costco, and Vitamin E from a capsule once a week.

I simply stopped giving any fish oil long time ago. Actually it was cod liver oil. These capsules, dogs have issues digesting. Itā€™s just one of them things we humans can but not the dog. I personally donā€™t take any fish oils either. Iā€™ll try to find my post on that. I rather give them real fish.

Hereā€™s a link you might find interesting...

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fish-oil-omega-3-dogs-safe/

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I simply stopped giving any fish oil long time ago. Actually it was cod liver oil. These capsules, dogs have issues digesting. Itā€™s just one of them things we humans can but not the dog. I personally donā€™t take any fish oils either. Iā€™ll try to find my post on that. I rather give them real fish.

Hereā€™s a link you might find interesting...

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fish-oil-omega-3-dogs-safe/

Interesting article. But the reference that the author used that fish oils are bad actually said that EPA and DHA given with adequate Vitamin E suppress lipid peroxidation, which is a good thing https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12568661 I don't give my dog a capsule, I squeeze the oil out of the capsule just before use so the oil isn't oxidized. I give my dog the fish oil both for her allergies and to prevent arthritis, and I try to use a decent brand, so hopefully there's few contaminants.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There was a Dr Becker video on this topic... no capsule fish oil is best for dogs... canā€™t remember when I read will try to find it.

When i read it.. I started cutting the capsules open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Gosh... this is SO confusing. I give my two the salmon oil from Amazon, Grizzly Salmon Oil. They seem to love it, but I don't overdue it... for some reason they don't handle coconut oil very well. I started giving them the frozen treats made w/the coconut oil, but not daily...

I'll try to find the link...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Gosh... this is SO confusing. I give my two the salmon oil from Amazon, Grizzly Salmon Oil. They seem to love it, but I don't overdue it... for some reason they don't handle coconut oil very well. I started giving them the frozen treats made w/the coconut oil, but not daily...

I'll try to find the link...

Amazing isnā€™t it? I know this stuff inside out and I even get confused myself at times I swear. So much to remember. Why I try very hard to keep all my dogs only on real food n no supplements as much as I can. Owning bullies gave me that extra work I needed to add to what I already knew...:facepalm2:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online