TOTW?????

bigmac

Apr 2, 2011
Sacramento, California, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Mac
I currently feed my GSD Taste of the wild (the fowl one) and was thinking of putting the pup on it, his breeder was feeding SD ( :down:) )
I have read about allergies, gas etc and just want to give him the best diet I can find in the area.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi [MENTION=2143]bigmac[/MENTION] - welcome to the board! TOTW is a good food and appropriate for all stages of a dog's life. It's grain free so it's very good for bulldogs and their allergies so I think it's a decent option. If you reference our Dog Food Ratings, you'll see it is a highly rated food.

How old is your bully? The reason I ask is because TOTW is VERY high in protein and can sometimes be hard on the large breed puppy in that you want the puppy to grow slowly, giving those bones time to develop big and strong to go along with the rest of the body. I have two bullies, one adult and one 11 month old and I fed the younger one puppy food (with grain - but good ones, NOT corn) until he was 8 months old. They generally do not develop allergies until they are over a year old and a quality puppy food helps support controlled growth and nutrition specific to puppies in ways some all stages food does not.

I personally fed TOTW to my bully had it resulted in an increase in yeast in his wrinkles and tail. After research and advice from this board, a possible link between yeast and the potatoes and sweet potatoes that are main ingredients in MANY grain free foods was revealed. So I switched to Nature's Variety Instinct, which is a grain, gluten, and potato free formula and have had excellent results.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have my puppies on TOTW Pacific Stream and they love it! Just watch the protein percentage, bully babies don't need high protein food

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My boys enjoyed taste of the wild and now cant remember why the switch. haha Have gone thru so many foods I cant seem to keep the reasons straight. It is a great food tho and if your pup does well with it then I say go with it. Like was posted already watch out for the protein tho.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
The foul/Prairie variety is definitely to high in protein for the pup[Learned this myself by having my husband pick up a bag since it's rated 6 stars...to learn that the pup can't have it due to the protein levels so we donated the bag to a rescue shelter and bought the Pacific variety]...

BUT...if you wanted to buy a bag of the PACIFIC and switch both dogs over to it...that would work. The Pacific has lower protein levels. With fish being the protein source...chances of less allergy related issues with food. Taste of the Wild when discussing food with the vet practice I use. They ALL use Taste of the Wild...so...it is definitely do able.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Im new here and I am currently feeding Taste of the Wild to my bully as I had read it was good for bullys but it doesnt seem to be good for a bully with a yeast problem. My 4 year old has a yeast problem and as many have ive been through a slew of foods and tried this food the pacific stream formula even though it has potatoes and sweet potatoes. Well she seemed to be getting better at first but now shes taking a turn and it seems im looking for a new food again. Im glad i saw the post above as Instinct was recommended to me from the nutritionist at the food store I go to as having alot of meat and little carbs and would be good for yeast she also suggested raw feeding but im not ready to go there. I was hesitant as it has tapioca but ive been reading many having good results feeding this but none had mentioned if it was good for yeast. I think totw is a very good food and ive read many a bully owner using it successfully but maybe should not be used for bullys with a yeast problem. I believe im going to try nv instinct.

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] One bully may do great on one food while another bully will not do good on that same food so I will definitely say they are all different BUT in general I would say Natures Variety Instinct is really great for bullys with yeast issues. I never would have thought that potatoes could make such an impact on yeast growth until I actually tried it. My Samson was having alot of issues with ear infections, which is a yeast issue, so after months of countless vet visits and prescriptions I was at a loss. I tried the NVI because another member on here made the switch and it completely cleared up her bullys ear infections, well same thing happpened to me. 2 weeks after switching to the NVI salmon Samson was ear infection free and still is 7 months later. The only thing I would add is that while Samson does great on the NVI salmon, he doesn't do well on ALL the formulas. He does not do well on chicken so I wouldn't try that formula and when I tried the duck/turkey he had a bad reaction and I think that was the turkey because turkey is real simliar to chicken. I haven't tried the beef and lamb yet but I want to and I just don't have any interest in trying the rabbit. I hope that helps, I like to share my/Samson's story because I think at times we all underestimate how important food is and what a difference it makes.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.