Joey's Eating Habits Changing

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello all you amazing EBNers ! Joey will be 3 years old on May 31st, she has always been a great eater. Her normal pattern is breakfast (around 630ish) and dinner at 5. She has always been good with her kibble, Life's Abundance. She has no health issues and has only ever gone to the vet for her yearly checks.

For variety I used to put a little dab of peanut butter on her food, she loved. Then stopped eating it, would smell and walk away. I then started adding a little shredded cheese, she loves cheese. Well now she just smells it and walks away. One night this week when we were sleeping her stomach was growling so much it kept me awake.

So my questions are, is it normal at this age for eating habits to change? Maybe go to once per day? Is there another special thing that I could try to add, for some variety?

Thanks all you brilliant people!!!

Sue

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
How many cups you give the little Miss Muffet? Hard to change food when they are doing good on a it. Does she eat just the kibble on itā€™s own or when you top it she ignores it?

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
How many cups you give the little Miss Muffet? Hard to change food when they are doing good on a it. Does she eat just the kibble on itā€™s own or when you top it she ignores it?

yeah,

I gave my squad a 'little something else' on their food, usually shredded cheese, or a sprinkle of panko bread crumbs, now they expect it.
Kibble alone, and they look at me like 'seriously mom...........seriously'

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Thanks Helene......She gets a cup in the morning and a cup at 5pm She ignores plain kibble and NOW ignoring with topping too (cheese) About 30 minutes ago she came to me with her "I am hungry now" bark and she ate. Could it be a schedule change for her?

- - - Updated - - -

yeah,

I gave my squad a 'little something else' on their food, usually shredded cheese, or a sprinkle of panko bread crumbs, now they expect it.
Kibble alone, and they look at me like 'seriously mom...........seriously'

SAME!!!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thank you! They do list "aging" as a cause.....I guess turning 3 years old would be considered aging :)

Joey is still young. You might want to consider seeing a vet.

Jewel has empty stomach syndrome. When this occurs, her bowel sounds are hyperactive (i.e. gurgle, gurgle, etc.). When really upset, she eats grass and then usually throws up frothy bile. We give her 10 mg of Fumotidine (i.e. regular Pepcid) which calms her tummy down.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Joey is still young. You might want to consider seeing a vet.

Jewel has empty stomach syndrome. When this occurs, her bowel sounds are hyperactive (i.e. gurgle, gurgle, etc.). When really upset, she eats grass and then usually throws up frothy bile. We give her 10 mg of Fumotidine (i.e. regular Pepcid) which calms her tummy down.

Oh wow!! Joey did not throw up the other night but has in the past (not much though) BUT her bowel sounds were totally hyperactive the other night. Thank you for the information!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Oh wow!! Joey did not throw up the other night but has in the past (not much though) BUT her bowel sounds were totally hyperactive the other night. Thank you for the information!

You're welcome. We hope Joey is feeling better soon.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hank 'very rarely' will just bypass a meal and it 'seems' to be for no reason. So far, i havent encouraged him to eat unless by the second meal he isnt wanting it either. I just figure that something needs to straighten out in his system as he too is a regular eater. Of course, IF he was looking lowly, i'd think vet, but just seems to be what they do sometimes. Your girl sounds just board with the whole eating thing but be careful of what you will want to continue to ADD as that will set her up for ...... well, what she EXPECTS.. lol

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have to change Tanks food once in 6 months - he does what you describe, smells and walks away. Then I know it is time to switch - both meat, grain and veggies (I homecook for him). May be itā€™s time to change kibble. If you donā€™t want to change kibble, try to skip a meal. When she walks away, you must hide food and skip next meal too.
Leaving dog for 1 day without food is not dangerous. When I had hunting dogs, Saturday was a day when they got no food, just 1 bowl of kefir. City legend says it is necessary for hunting dogs, one hunger day a week. Just make sure she has plenty of water.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello all you amazing EBNers ! Joey will be 3 years old on May 31st, she has always been a great eater. Her normal pattern is breakfast (around 630ish) and dinner at 5. She has always been good with her kibble, Life's Abundance. She has no health issues and has only ever gone to the vet for her yearly checks.

For variety I used to put a little dab of peanut butter on her food, she loved. Then stopped eating it, would smell and walk away. I then started adding a little shredded cheese, she loves cheese. Well now she just smells it and walks away. One night this week when we were sleeping her stomach was growling so much it kept me awake.

So my questions are, is it normal at this age for eating habits to change? Maybe go to once per day? Is there another special thing that I could try to add, for some variety?

Thanks all you brilliant people!!!

Sue

Will she take the kibble from you as a treat?

If yes, try changing the bowl ... Cheli did this once and i put food on the floorā€” he ate it right up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hank 'very rarely' will just bypass a meal and it 'seems' to be for no reason. So far, i havent encouraged him to eat unless by the second meal he isnt wanting it either. I just figure that something needs to straighten out in his system as he too is a regular eater. Of course, IF he was looking lowly, i'd think vet, but just seems to be what they do sometimes. Your girl sounds just board with the whole eating thing but be careful of what you will want to continue to ADD as that will set her up for ...... well, what she EXPECTS.. lol

Thanks! I think she IS bored, I just wish I could offer her variety ā¤ļø

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I have to change Tanks food once in 6 months - he does what you describe, smells and walks away. Then I know it is time to switch - both meat, grain and veggies (I homecook for him). May be itā€™s time to change kibble. If you donā€™t want to change kibble, try to skip a meal. When she walks away, you must hide food and skip next meal too.
Leaving dog for 1 day without food is not dangerous. When I had hunting dogs, Saturday was a day when they got no food, just 1 bowl of kefir. City legend says it is necessary for hunting dogs, one hunger day a week. Just make sure she has plenty of water.

Thanks so much, I feel reassured!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Will she take the kibble from you as a treat?

If yes, try changing the bowl ... Cheli did this once and i put food on the floorā€” he ate it right up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG I just dumped her food out on her mat and she ate it all! Thatā€™s so crazy! Why does she no longer like the bowl?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.