babytrappy

Apr 21, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Trappy
Hello! My English bulldog is turning 9 months soon. When i got him he was in health extension or something i forgot what itā€™s called because itā€™s terrible!!! I hated that his tear stain was bad and his stool was so soft and his coat wasnā€™t as shiny. So i made the switch right away to TOTW grain free puppy venison. He was doing really good on it but now he doesnā€™t want to eat it, his tear stains came back, i read that maybe thereā€™s too much protein on it. Also read thereā€™s been recalls on it.
A friend of mine swears by victor food. Has anyone here read or know or have tried Victor food? I know they have a grain free salmon and sweet potato which is what Iā€™m specifically looking into. I think he may be allergic to chicken because ever since i gave him chicken treats and chicken mix he started getting red around his chin area and toe area but not extreme to where it could be toe sores.
Any better lower protein food Recommendations are highly appreciated as well!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I used to feed Chumly Victor and he did well on it. You can check it out on Dogfoodadvisor.com. The Yukon River is a 5 star food and I believe the only Victor's without chicken. I feed Monty Zignature as it is good for dogs with allergies and it is lower protein. It has no Corn, Wheat, Soy, Dairy, or Chicken, Chicken Eggs, or Chicken By-Products. I have no experience with puppy food but I am sure someone else will advise you on that.

Zue10

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Zeus ( 6 months) in the last three weeks he started experiencing stomach issues and soft stool. I switched from Zignature to Fromm, heartland grain-free for puppy, no more stomach issues or soft stool. I also add one teaspoon of coconut oil to his food for his coat.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus ( 6 months) in the last three weeks he started experiencing stomach issues and soft stool. I switched from Zignature to Fromm, heartland grain-free for puppy, no more stomach issues or soft stool. I also add one teaspoon of coconut oil to his food for his coat.

It could also depend on the protein. I feed either the duck or trout & salmon. I tried Monty on their turkey and he was constantly constipated so no more turkey for him!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello! My English bulldog is turning 9 months soon. When i got him he was in health extension or something i forgot what itā€™s called because itā€™s terrible!!! I hated that his tear stain was bad and his stool was so soft and his coat wasnā€™t as shiny. So i made the switch right away to TOTW grain free puppy venison. He was doing really good on it but now he doesnā€™t want to eat it, his tear stains came back, i read that maybe thereā€™s too much protein on it. Also read thereā€™s been recalls on it.
A friend of mine swears by victor food. Has anyone here read or know or have tried Victor food? I know they have a grain free salmon and sweet potato which is what Iā€™m specifically looking into. I think he may be allergic to chicken because ever since i gave him chicken treats and chicken mix he started getting red around his chin area and toe area but not extreme to where it could be toe sores.
Any better lower protein food Recommendations are highly appreciated as well!

Gang has given some good insight... I do not use Victor, but have heard some good results. I would move to an adult food when you switch as the puppy level of protein may be too much for him now.

Zue10

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
It could also depend on the protein. I feed either the duck or trout & salmon. I tried Monty on their turkey and he was constantly constipated so no more turkey for him!

I tried salmon, salmon and trout, catfish, whitefish, venison, and kangaroo and still the same issues. It could be an ingredient in the food, I cannot really tell, all I know is after changing to Fromm no more issues.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I tried salmon, salmon and trout, catfish, whitefish, venison, and kangaroo and still the same issues. It could be an ingredient in the food, I cannot really tell, all I know is after changing to Fromm no more issues.
Wow, six foods and he is only six months old! When I first put Monty on it he poo'd for England but after a while it all settled back down and no problems since (except for the turkey). But it could very well be that there is something in it that disagrees with him, you just never know with these dogs!!! You have found something that likes him so that is all that matters.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Rod52

Feb 26, 2015
New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cookie
I use the Victor grain free puppy for my 10 month old bulldog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online