RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
For you guys with who's bully's have seasonal allergies. I'm studying to become a herbalist and at least for people taking nettle before allergy season starts helps to reduce the symptoms. A lot of the herbs have similar effect on dogs. And if it doesn't have that effect it is not harmless at all and has other benefits. it is rich in protein, vitamins A, C, K, B complex, as well as minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, and potassium. It also has antibacterial, astringent and antihistamine properties.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I had JUST chopped and stomped on a whole large area of nettle so my boy didnt get stung. THEN i read, not even two days later, that nettle is a great thing to use for stuff. I am not home at this time but what should i do with any that may be left. How do i store until i figure /learn how to use ?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
How do you take it? All I know about Nettle is it hurts like hell when you get stung by it!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]. Great news on becoming a herbalist!!!! As you know I’m all for that jazz! And yes, so true, Nettle is great for allergies. I drink it as tea.

For those not sure what nettle is, it’s the little damm green leafy weed in your garden when you touch it, it stings as it releases a chemical into your skin n burns. Ahhh now you remember eh...as we all been pricked by it lol. Here’s a great link... [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] you’re bang on Missy!!! Please keep us/me posted on your herbalist venture. I love reading on how others are going about herbalist/holistic. :2thumbs:

https://articles.mercola.com/herbs-spices/nettle.aspx

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]. Great news on becoming a herbalist!!!! As you know I’m all for that jazz! And yes, so true, Nettle is great for allergies. I drink it as tea.

For those not sure what nettle is, it’s the little damm green leafy weed in your garden when you touch it, it stings as it releases a chemical into your skin n burns. Ahhh now you remember eh...as we all been pricked by it lol. Here’s a great link... [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] you’re bang on Missy!!! Please keep us/me posted on your herbalist venture. I love reading on how others are going about herbalist/holistic. :2thumbs:

https://articles.mercola.com/herbs-spices/nettle.aspx

ok,,,, this time, since im not home but read this article and dont want to loose ........... think ya might wanna post in the "holistic approach" place as well ?? :) so i can find easly

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
If you use the leafs you need to boil them for a few minutes. After that they don't sting. Then you can freeze or dry them. You can use them like spinach, or in a smoothie, in a bread....That's for yourself of course.
For your dog you can just mix it with their food or yoghurt. I feed raw and make veggie pures for my dogs and put that in their mix of meats. There are a lot of nettle supplements too, but if grows in your garden... Nettle seeds are even better and they don't sting. You can just dry them.
I have started looking at those pesty weeds very diffrently... for example I can't wait for the goutweed and dandelion to start growing again!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
omg.... i have both these grow like CRAZY and was talking to someone on how to use but danged if i can remember who. I am going to have to look up this stuff again ;)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]...Such great news, am excited for you!

Thanks for info, am sneezing/nose running,
conventional meds dry me out too much, will try nettle.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
ok,,,, this time, since im not home but read this article and dont want to loose ........... think ya might wanna post in the "holistic approach" place as well ?? :) so i can find easly

Done n I posted [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] post too just for YOU cause you’re tooooooooo busy being on vacation... :lmaogirl::lmaoboy::lmaogirl::lmaoboy::lmaogirl:

Enjoy your vacation!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Done n I posted [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] post too just for YOU cause you’re tooooooooo busy being on vacation... :lmaogirl::lmaoboy::lmaogirl::lmaoboy::lmaogirl:

Enjoy your vacation!!!

hahaha yep :) and thank you ever so much :)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Of course, I see this post for nettles now that I am no longer in the UK avoiding them constantly. No nettles in Houston where I live!!!

My grandmother used to make a really potent dandelion wine. My job was to pick all the dandelion heads for her.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Of course, I see this post for nettles now that I am no longer in the UK avoiding them constantly. No nettles in Houston where I live!!!

My grandmother used to make a really potent dandelion wine. My job was to pick all the dandelion heads for her.

We Italians are great making dandelion wine... good stuff if it’s done probably n not picked were dogs pee. :D. Mind you might be why it’s good stuff :lmaogirl:

Btw, dandelions are the BEST to add to any salads n DETOXING your liver !

https://draxe.com/dandelion-tea/

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm looking into this one! The boys are starting to suffer and I really don't want to give pills every day. The local honey seems to help some, but poor Lambeau all he wants to do is sleep and sleep HARD.. very little activity from him in the past week

OP
RiiSi

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
From what I've learned it works best if started before the season starts, but it can't hurt if it's already on.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
From what I've learned it works best if started before the season starts, but it can't hurt if it's already on.

Thanks... I'll definitely make sure I have it for next season then, but will look into finding it in my area now.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.