Protein Level in food

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hi guys! We haven't posted in a while because we have been doing so well! Recently, Duchess had severe constipation which required a short hospital stay, medication and a few enemas. Her doctor found that her pelvis and rectum are really small and she needs a higher fiber food. We have no problem with giving her high fiber, but all the good foods with high fiber content also have a high protein level. So we are now back to the age old question of how much protein is ok. What is the protein level of your food? How does your dog react to high protein? What do we need to look out for? Thanks guys!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So when Louie was eating Fromm, a few of the formulas had low fiber so I would add in a couple pinches of unsweetened coconut chips to his meals and it worked well. You can probably also try adding in some pure pumpkin (not the pie filling). So you can potentially try one of these if you don't want to switch foods.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi guys! We haven't posted in a while because we have been doing so well! Recently, Duchess had severe constipation which required a short hospital stay, medication and a few enemas. Her doctor found that her pelvis and rectum are really small and she needs a higher fiber food. We have no problem with giving her high fiber, but all the good foods with high fiber content also have a high protein level. So we are now back to the age old question of how much protein is ok. What is the protein level of your food? How does your dog react to high protein? What do we need to look out for? Thanks guys!!

Here’s a link that will explain the issue with the word “meal” protein. 300% higher in protein. Be careful with “meal” and read the ingredients!!!

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/about-meat-meal/

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/low-protein-dog-foods/

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...choosing-a-healthy-dog-food-for-your-pet.aspx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had that issue with Lambeau when he was in kibble... i added tablespoon or two of pure pumpkin and it solved the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Think Nyala is getting that problem n she’s on 3/4raw. Takes her forever for it to come out. She eats lots of fresh veggies too. Will try the pumpkin.

OP
O

oldbaystyle

Feb 5, 2015
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Thanks for the info! Duchess has been on pumpkin puree for months and we use coconut chips as well. Our Vet thinks that she has a small rectum and the combination of anatomy is what caused her constipation. We are on stool softeners now. She is eating like a champ now and having nice poos everyday. We might need to change her allergy medication as the antihistamines can cause constipation. It will be a balancing act but I don't want our baby to have to go through that again!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the info! Duchess has been on pumpkin puree for months and we use coconut chips as well. Our Vet thinks that she has a small rectum and the combination of anatomy is what caused her constipation. We are on stool softeners now. She is eating like a champ now and having nice poos everyday. We might need to change her allergy medication as the antihistamines can cause constipation. It will be a balancing act but I don't want our baby to have to go through that again!

Careful with stool softeners as the rectum muscle will get lazy n rely on the softeners if given daily. Add fiber to the diet like broccoli, ground flax seeds, yogurt cause of the lactobacillus bacteria inside or just get the “live” capsules at your health food store. Fridge section. All theses will soften the stools. Just a thought.

ollas

May 15, 2018
Iowa,Des Moines
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sniper
If you're cooking for your dog, you also need to give him supplements. Bone meal powder, kelp powder, nutritional yeast, vitamin c, vitamin e, omega 3, k-9 multivitamin. Your dog's meal should be 60% meat, 20% veggies, 20% fruits (no grapes!!). PM me if you have some questions. I had to start cooking for Tony (my beagle) because he developed really bad skin allergies to dog food. The results have been incredible. His skin rashes have healed, his coat is shinier, he doesn't have bad breath and doesn't fart every hour lol. But if you dog needs more protein, I'd do some research and see if a protein pill or powder might be helpful. Consult the vet first of course.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.