k9paws

Aug 29, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diva
Hello,
I have a 7 yr. old, female, spayed, EB and her Vet says she is 10 lbs. overweight. She is on Blue Buffalo weight management dry food. She gets 2 cups a day along with a can of green beans, (1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night). When she first started on the Weight Management lost a couple of pounds but gained it back.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Gary

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello,
I have a 7 yr. old, female, spayed, EB and her Vet says she is 10 lbs. overweight. She is on Blue Buffalo weight management dry food. She gets 2 cups a day along with a can of green beans, (1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night). When she first started on the Weight Management lost a couple of pounds but gained it back.
Gary

I personally would get her off B.B. as itā€™s not a quality kibble. Acana makes Light n Fit dry...at least sheā€™s eating quality n will lose weight. But this can of green beans, anything that comes out of a can is cooked n dead. Thereā€™s absolutely no nutritional value in any cans. Buy fresh or frozen n feed it frozen. Thereā€™s also frozen berries as snacks. But stop the cans.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-lose-weight/

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/weight-loss-dog-foods/

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello,
Gary

I would cut back to 3/4 cup kibble and 1/2 cup of frozen green beans at each meal.... donā€™t use canned they have additives for preserving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
our little old lady gets 1/2 cup of kibble twice daily...plus sweet potato fries as treats. using the frozen green beans will help fill your pups tummy while cutting back. plus they're not mushy and it will take some time to chew 'em up

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've already been given great advice from members above, but I agree would like to see a picture.
Hoe much does he weigh? My vet also thinks my guys are a little overweight, but I don't think at 45 and 48 lbs that they are overweight. They do tend to gain about 2 or 3 lbs over the winter when they are less active due to the weather. In the summer they go on many walks so they lose ththose extra pounds.

These are my guys Blossom and Bulldozer

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    623.8 KB · Views: 202

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
exercise is essential with any diet.

My vet started with the over weight business before Ty was a year old.

We immediately switched to healthy weight food, and began a walking regimen.

He weights around 50lbs.

His Dad was a big guy, he weighed 80lbs but he didn't look fat really, he was solid as a rock.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would cut back to 3/4 cup kibble and 1/2 cup of frozen green beans at each meal.... donā€™t use canned they have additives for preserving

This is exactly what I did with Monty and if the local vets' scales are to be believed (I have my doubts, they are always different to his bully vet) he has lost another 6 lbs. He has definitely lost weight and looks fantastic but I am not sure about it being another 6 lbs. He is 7.5 yrs old and low energy and latest weigh-in, 60lbs, down from his original 72 when adopted. I don't want him to lose any more.

I feed him Zignature Salmon & Trout or Duck, no diet food.

Monty side.jpg

Monty waist.jpg

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is exactly what I did with Monty and if the local vets' scales are to be believed (I have my doubts, they are always different to his bully vet) he has lost another 6 lbs. He has definitely lost weight and looks fantastic but I am not sure about it being another 6 lbs. He is 7.5 yrs old and low energy and latest weigh-in, 60lbs, down from his original 72 when adopted. I don't want him to lose any more.

View attachment 111964

View attachment 111965

He looks great!!

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Absolutely agree with Helene. Canned foods are usually loaded with sodium as a preservative. Not good for dogs or people, plus sodium makes you retain water. Fresh or frozen is the best!

I personally would get her off B.B. as itā€™s not a quality kibble. Acana makes Light n Fit dry...at least sheā€™s eating quality n will lose weight. But this can of green beans, anything that comes out of a can is cooked n dead. Thereā€™s absolutely no nutritional value in any cans. Buy fresh or frozen n feed it frozen. Thereā€™s also frozen berries as snacks. But stop the cans.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-lose-weight/

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/weight-loss-dog-foods/

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty

View attachment 111964

View attachment 111965

He looks fine to me

Even has a waistline,

I think we're all pretty much in agreement, Our vets tell us puppers are over weight, but we question that

If I remember my anatomy class correctly, muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue.

And like I said, Ty's Dad weighed 80lbs, but was rock hard solid.

Ty weighs around 50, IS NOT LAZY, and as far as moving around, he can haul-*** when he wants to!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

View attachment 111964

View attachment 111965

I think he looks great

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The rule of thumb is that you should be able to feel the ribs, but not see them, and if you stand above your bully, they should have a well defined waist when you look at them from above, like an hour glass shape.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.