oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
How far apart should the feedings be and thanks for the advice Iā€™ll try that. Right now I feed him totw prairie puppy

We feed when we get up in the AM. The bullies are always waiting for breakfast which, during the week, is 6:30-7:00am. Dinner is at 4:00pm. Sat and Sun breakfast might be a little later in the AM but our guys are patient and let us sleep in...they know it's the weekend, I think.
Concerning the food...I would not suggest switching food at this point. Focus strictly on getting the(your) schedule worked out. Once a schedule of feeding is established then you can "play" with food brand, variety, formula.
Chopper is soon going to be ready for adult food. I'm not a fan of TOTW and for ONLY one reason...my Dozer did not do well with it. It stained brown his eye creases, paws, and face. I'm sure that many dogs tolerate it well enough as 3 of my four did...but there are better, more costly foods available. Feed as high a quality food as you can afford...always avoiding wheat corn and soy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We feed when we get up in the AM. The bullies are always waiting for breakfast which, during the week, is 6:30-7:00am. Dinner is at 4:00pm. Sat and Sun breakfast might be a little later in the AM but our guys are patient and let us sleep in...they know it's the weekend, I think.
Concerning the food...I would not suggest switching food at this point. Focus strictly on getting the(your) schedule worked out. Once a schedule of feeding is established then you can "play" with food brand, variety, formula.
Chopper is soon going to be ready for adult food. I'm not a fan of TOTW and for ONLY one reason...my Dozer did not do well with it. It stained brown his eye creases, paws, and face. I'm sure that many dogs tolerate it well enough as 3 of my four did...but there are better, more costly foods available. Feed as high a quality food as you can afford...always avoiding wheat corn and soy.

I do feed 2 times a day but how far apart should the feedings be

I'd try this first...
Stop hand feeding him and never hand feed him again.
Buy a high quality single protein kibble and serve Chopper 1 Cup in a stainless bowl. Give him 15 minutes to eat it and then take it away. At the next meal time, repeat. Do this until he eats. A healthy Bulldog will NOT starve itself to death...when he gets hungry he will eat. IMO, if he refuses to eat after 3 days then you have a medical issue going on and he needs to see a Vet.
After rescuing and re-homing hundreds of Bulldogs(some extremely finicky about eating) over the past 20 years, we've found that this method works every time. You may find that Chopper needs a bit more than 2 cups kibble per day...it's fine to slowly increase up to, but not more than 3 cups per day. Eventually you will need to back off of that amount as his growth slows.
Get Chopper on your schedule, not his.

Awesome advice from Chip!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online