Is my dog eating a good amount?

Rober

Feb 16, 2018
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Hello, I have a 7 month old English bulldog named chopper who doesnā€™t like eating. Most the time I have to hand feed him. He currently eats 3 cups a day which is 1092 kcalories a day. Is he eating enough or am I making him eat too much?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello, I have a 7 month old English bulldog named chopper who doesnā€™t like eating. Most the time I have to hand feed him. He currently eats 3 cups a day which is 1092 kcalories a day. Is he eating enough or am I making him eat too much?

Hi n welcome!!! Why are you hand feeding him? :nonono: when a dog gets hungry trust me they will eat. Questions... what kind of kibbles n snacks are you feeding him? How much does he weighs? 3cups a day sounds good for that age. Forget the calories, no need to count calorie for any pup. Plz let use know the answers to these questions so we can help you. :)

OP
R

Rober

Feb 16, 2018
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Heā€™s 40 pounds. He wonā€™t eat hardly at all and it worries me into hand feeding! He eats Taste of the Wild Prarie Puppy

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
A Bully who won't eat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I think he maybe just doesn't care for the food.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would change to a different brand. Some good quality kibbles are Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Zignature and Earthborn Holistics, just to name a few. There are others as well...you can check out dogfoodadvisor.com. If up to it, you can also try raw.

Amount you are feeding sounds about right for his age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Heā€™s 40 pounds. He wonā€™t eat hardly at all and it worries me into hand feeding! He eats Taste of the Wild Prarie Puppy

40lbs at 7months heā€™s on the right track. [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] and others just addressed your issue. Dogs like humans do get bored of food. Iā€™m not a big fan of TOTW as they get too many recalls. Give Orijen Puppy youā€™ll see the difference n wonā€™t need your hand anymore.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi n welcome!!! Why are you hand feeding him? :nonono: when a dog gets hungry trust me they will eat. Questions... what kind of kibbles n snacks are you feeding him? How much does he weighs? 3cups a day sounds good for that age. Forget the calories, no need to count calorie for any pup. Plz let use know the answers to these questions so we can help you. :)

Agree with Helene.

OP
R

Rober

Feb 16, 2018
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
I tried a few sample bags of zigniture and orijen he liked them for like a day than he gets bored of it and wonā€™t eat. Heā€™s very picky and will not eat it if I give it to him by hand

OP
R

Rober

Feb 16, 2018
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
Mabe I can try a few more flavors of orijen Is there anything good I could mix in the food for more flavor

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I used to mix in some Stella & Chewy's meal mixers. Maybe mix in some bone broth (The Honest Kitchen sells a powder you just mix with water).

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I know you all are not fans of TOTW. If I recall, there have been recalls of some raw frozen, and other brands. I have been very fortunate so far, and this is the best that I can afford for my dogs.Maybe I should not rescue,but they still eat better than being homeless(I feel)Also better than I eat. In fact, ones I got from a breeder were being fed Purina. Sorry that I can not afford to be up to everyone's standards.I have always done the best that I CAN do. I guess you all would say that I shouldn't have dogs. You may be correct.Only the last rescue has allergies, but has improved since she arrived.
The Vets always told me, if they are healthy, they will eat when they get hungry. If you hand feed, they have you trained!

OP
R

Rober

Feb 16, 2018
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
I tryed bone broth he wasnā€™t interested. He likes soft meat type stuff

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I know you all are not fans of TOTW. If I recall, there have been recalls of some raw frozen, and other brands. I have been very fortunate so far, and this is the best that I can afford for my dogs.Maybe I should not rescue,but they still eat better than being homeless(I feel)Also better than I eat. In fact, ones I got from a breeder were being fed Purina. Sorry that I can not afford to be up to everyone's standards.I have always done the best that I CAN do. I guess you all would say that I shouldn't have dogs. You may be correct.
The Vets always told me, if they are healthy, they will eat when they get hungry. If you hand feed, they have you trained!

No, no, no, no! While I always recommend the usual brands, I am also a believer that you should feed what works for you and your dog (with the exception of some brands). I used to feed Jax TOTW when I got him. I went through a million different brands and for a good period was feeding him a 3 star food because it worked. Eventually I switched him to raw because every kibble was causing problems.

I am sure no one here thinks you shouldn't have dogs and none of these food related posts are meant to attack anyone or make anyone feel bad about what they feed.

SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
Sometimes my boy won't eat too... enough to make me worry when we first got him... to the point where I would sit with him on the floor to ensure he ate. No more of that crap... when he gets hungry, he will eat. I leave the food for 30 minutes and if he doesn't touch it, I pick it up and we try again at the next meal.

I agree with other posters that they can tire of the same thing and we had to switch things up at the start, but you will find your groove with what works for you and your dog.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.