General Question BEST TREATS AND KIBBLE... GO

Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Hey guys, I am new to the site. But since my post yesterday for asking for help with Georges diahhrea... many of you have told me to stay away from Royal Canin. My vet always raves about it but I feel like I could trust you guys more! lol

What does your bully eat? Kibble or cooked food. I would like to stay away from a raw diet for now at least. But I want to switch up Georges food very soon. Also tips on how to switch/wean him off RC are welcome!

For his treats he has Benny's Bully's, freeze dried chicken breast, apples or carrots.

:happydance:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You basically ant go wrong with raw and even the treats youā€™re giving the little guy. So long itā€™s all homemade n real meat and/or veggies. Both my dogs are on raw. Comes out to the same price as a quality kibble like orijen, acana, signature n Fromm. I never had any issues with acana or orijen. I do like acana as it has one protein per bag n easier for a puppy to figure out ā€œifā€ it has any allergies towards a specific protein. Like that you can eliminate the allergy list as heā€™s growing. I suggest a bag per month to see if puppy did great or not on it. Sometimes itā€™s not the protein the problem but can be the veggie or fruit in the kibble. Itā€™s rare but can happen. Good to keep a journal just in case. Also acana has tripe in the kibble. Best probiotics any dogs can have. The other option is like you mentioned in your other post is home cooking. Boil chicken is good too with green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower etc. but you will need to give a multi vitamin as cooked veggies will lose all vitamins. Semi cook them only. A regular centrum vitamin is just as good as the expensive ones. I use to boil a turkey for a good 8hrs n keep the broth n top the meals with it. Also freeze the broth in ice cube trays as a treat. Also, Frozen berries are great for treats!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If willing to home cook... you can use The Honest Kitchen as you base and add a protein.

I used to feed Fromm kibble but switched to raw about 3 months ago... pups did great on Fromm but I opted to move to raw due to ear infections and environmental allergies.

Treats... dried cod skins, marrow bones and Stella/Chewy meal toppersā€” oh, frozen green beans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My Frenchie gets 100% frozen raw. Louie gets Zignature kibble in the am and frozen raw in the pm. If you want to stick to kibble, some good brands would be Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Zignature, Earthborn Holistics. A good website to check out is dogfoodadvisor.com. There is also dehydrated raw like The Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucy's.

For snacks, I give freeze dried minnow, bison liver, bison jerky, freeze dried salmon, pretty much all single ingredient treats. I will also give them some fruits or veggies of what I am chopping up and grated cheese here and there as well as frozen raw marrow bones.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
My Frenchie gets 100% frozen raw. Louie gets Zignature kibble in the am and frozen raw in the pm. If you want to stick to kibble, some good brands would be Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Zignature, Earthborn Holistics. A good website to check out is dogfoodadvisor.com. There is also dehydrated raw like The Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucy's.

For snacks, I give freeze dried minnow, bison liver, bison jerky, freeze dried salmon, pretty much all single ingredient treats. I will also give them some fruits or veggies of what I am chopping up and grated cheese here and there as well as frozen raw marrow bones.

I think I am going to give Acana a try. Any tips when switching over? should I be mixing a little in at first, then half and half, etc? Royal Canin is a chicken based kibble... Do you recommend switching the type of meat as well or stick with a chicken or turkey based Acana kibble?

Thanks!

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
You basically ant go wrong with raw and even the treats youā€™re giving the little guy. So long itā€™s all homemade n real meat and/or veggies. Both my dogs are on raw. Comes out to the same price as a quality kibble like orijen, acana, signature n Fromm. I never had any issues with acana or orijen. I do like acana as it has one protein per bag n easier for a puppy to figure out ā€œifā€ it has any allergies towards a specific protein. Like that you can eliminate the allergy list as heā€™s growing. I suggest a bag per month to see if puppy did great or not on it. Sometimes itā€™s not the protein the problem but can be the veggie or fruit in the kibble. Itā€™s rare but can happen. Good to keep a journal just in case. Also acana has tripe in the kibble. Best probiotics any dogs can have. The other option is like you mentioned in your other post is home cooking. Boil chicken is good too with green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower etc. but you will need to give a multi vitamin as cooked veggies will lose all vitamins. Semi cook them only. A regular centrum vitamin is just as good as the expensive ones. I use to boil a turkey for a good 8hrs n keep the broth n top the meals with it. Also freeze the broth in ice cube trays as a treat. Also, Frozen berries are great for treats!

I think I am going to give Acana a try. Any tips when switching over? should I be mixing a little in at first, then half and half, etc? Royal Canin is a chicken based kibble... Do you recommend switching the type of meat as well or stick with a chicken or turkey based Acana kibble?

Thanks!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Thanks!

You will want to do a gradual switch. It won't matter if you switch proteins. Basically, do 2-3 days of 75% old/25% new, then the next 2-3 days do 50/50 and then the last 2-3 days do 75% new/25% old and then 100% new.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
You will want to do a gradual switch. It won't matter if you switch proteins. Basically, do 2-3 days of 75% old/25% new, then the next 2-3 days do 50/50 and then the last 2-3 days do 75% new/25% old and then 100% new.

Awesome! Sounds easy enough!!! Thank you for you're help. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Thanks!

Doesnā€™t really matter as not sure if there is any meat in RC. Start ONE protein bag. Thereā€™s lamb, duck, porc... I recall doing lamb back then n no problem whatsoever.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Doesnā€™t really matter as not sure if there is any meat in RC. Start ONE protein bag. Thereā€™s lamb, duck, porc... I recall doing lamb back then n no problem whatsoever.

LOL... so true -- no meat, no transition needed.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Wet Nose Dog treats for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Sad isnā€™t it? Feeding dogs grains, feathers for fillers, corn etc....and then I read which I canā€™t recall where, vets should be applauded for all the help/work they do with our pets! Sure Iā€™m for them 200% but you do have no matter what, the vets that just see the $$$ and not whatā€™s best for your pet. Like this post, selling to ppl RC. They gives bad wrap to the great vets out there. Ok thatā€™s another topic lolll

- - - Updated - - -

Wet Nose Dog treats for us.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Howā€™s Puppy doing?

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King

ARG! I know. I was reading it last night... chicken by products. rice, grain, crap, etc. So upset at myself for not catching this earlier. I was recommended it by his breeder and his vet.

OP
KingGeorgeTheBulldog
Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King

ARG! I know. I was reading it last night... chicken by products. rice, grain, crap, etc. So upset at myself for not catching this earlier. I was recommended it by his breeder and his vet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.