Rotating Flavours with Natures Variety

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
this is interesting. We just switched over to this product and of course started with the beef and lamb, Duke is still itchy in the face ( day 4) am I not allowing enough time? or should I amybe try a different flavor and avoid the beef because of allergies. he was previously on Duck and potatoe? and of course I purchased the beef bag that was 45.00! :whew: he is no more itchy than he was but wondering about the beef choice and should I wait a little longer? thoughts?

I would also give it more time. Four days is a very short time for any changes in diet to take effect. I would wait at least a week or two unless you're seeing something getting worse.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]

I would also give it some more time. I know its hard and stressfull when you are wondering whats going on with duke :(. The first few days samson was on NVI chicken i was worried because his skin seemed dry and he seemed to be shedding. I think it was just the time of the year. I dont know if you remember but samson had these bald spots when he was younger. After JUST 2 weeks of being on NVI and grizzly salmon oil samson doesnt get any more magically appearing bald spots, and the ones that were there are filling in nicely and you can barley tell they are there. His skin is not dry and his coat is amazingly soft compared to the rough thick feeling his coat was before. Im just honestly amazed...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION]..I am considering this for Jake also. Kind of nervous because he seems fine on his dvp..I can't believe how much stress I get over food and poop! I don't want to cause any problems..but I want to have him on best good that I can get locally. My local petstore has this. Ohhhh..decisions!

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] i did lots and lots of research before i finally bought a quality food i wanted to stick with. I mainly went with this because it was quality, and if one flavour didnt work, i could try others without upsetting his stomach :) as you know.. samson had a sensitive stomach.. I KNOW you couldnt forget those pictures! haha. Honestly, i dont think it would hurt if you wanted to switch, just make sure you do it really really slow.... i did a 14 day transition and his poop actually got better and better and hes just so happy and full of energy now. But he was never on quality food, i dont know if you remember but he was on junky perscription food :blah:

dont get me wrong though, dvp is good food... i just found it quite potato heavy thats just MO though.
anyways, let me know what your decision is i would love follow ups on how he does!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] i did lots and lots of research before i finally bought a quality food i wanted to stick with. I mainly went with this because it was quality, and if one flavour didnt work, i could try others without upsetting his stomach :) as you know.. samson had a sensitive stomach.. I KNOW you couldnt forget those pictures! haha. Honestly, i dont think it would hurt if you wanted to switch, just make sure you do it really really slow.... i did a 14 day transition and his poop actually got better and better and hes just so happy and full of energy now. But he was never on quality food, i dont know if you remember but he was on junky perscription food :blah:

dont get me wrong though, dvp is good food... i just found it quite potato heavy thats just MO though.
anyways, let me know what your decision is i would love follow ups on how he does!

Hi [MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION]..ya..I just was telling my hubby I think I am going to change his food..I notice little things.seems itchy..pink muzzle (although I think this is from being goat like!)..and I saw him chewing on his leg. I also have to change over my other girl..but she has a pretty strong tummy. He goes to vet tomorrow for rabies shot..going to see what she thinks too. Boy do I remember your pics! Lol..poor Samson. Poorer Mike! So why did you start with chicken? Plus I read on here bullies are sometimes sensitive to beef..maybe I should start with salmon. The dvp he was on.was the ultra formula..not as potato heavy..but all stages. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] did let me know it's also an all stage food. So glad to hear that. But then I think about [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] and get paranoid again! Crap..think I will have a drink now..lol

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] haha that's funny. But yeah to answer your question.about the chicken. I started out on the chicken because remember that prescription good he was on? It was chicken based and he was getting those bald spots. I wanted to try a higher grade food with chicken to see how he did. Now that I see he is doing very well, I can rule out the chicken allergy! :)

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Good info..I am going to talk to vet and then go to petstore and guess get a bag..I might start with chicken too..something about salmon...seems fishy to me!! Lol...I crack myself up..ok..cross your fingers

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], I started Vegas on the Salmon and although it does not smell the best, he does not smell like it, the next bag a bought was the chicken and he did not do well at all, I guess he is chicken sensitive, we went back on the salmon and have stayed on it for about 6 months having great results. I keep it in a large plastic container with a snap lid right in the kitchen and the only time I smell it is when I take the lid off to feed him.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Haha good one! Haha I'm thinking about trying the salmon after the chicken. I was really just curious about the allergy thing. I'm sure he still has some time to develop some allgetgies :( but my fingers are crossed. Expect the worst but hope for the best, that's my motto haha. Good luck on the switch through. Tell Jake Sammy is excited to share the same fine dining experience with him hhaha

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], I started Vegas on the Salmon and although it does not smell the best, he does not smell like it, the next bag a bought was the chicken and he did not do well at all, I guess he is chicken sensitive, we went back on the salmon and have stayed on it for about 6 months having great results. I keep it in a large plastic container with a snap lid right in the kitchen and the only time I smell it is when I take the lid off to feed him.

Thanks [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]..I have my cat on a good salmon kibble and it is very strong smelling. Looks like I have some pondering to do. If there is more of a chance to a chicken allergy..and I read here bullies sometimes can't take beef..looks like salmon might be the best bet..thanks again.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Haha good one! Haha I'm thinking about trying the salmon after the chicken. I was really just curious about the allergy thing. I'm sure he still has some time to develop some allgetgies :( but my fingers are crossed. Expect the worst but hope for the best, that's my motto haha. Good luck on the switch through. Tell Jake Sammy is excited to share the same fine dining experience with him hhaha

Lol..you tell Sammy..Jake says " you're on!"

Wigglesworth

Feb 14, 2011
Putnam County, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Woody
this is interesting. We just switched over to this product and of course started with the beef and lamb, Duke is still itchy in the face ( day 4) am I not allowing enough time? or should I amybe try a different flavor and avoid the beef because of allergies. he was previously on Duck and potatoe? and of course I purchased the beef bag that was 45.00! :whew: he is no more itchy than he was but wondering about the beef choice and should I wait a little longer? thoughts?

Give it a fair shake, as others have said. Try the salmon food and duck (salmon is the 2nd ingredient). They have a new Lamb variety (called Limited Ingredient Diet) which is a highly recommended protein source by one of the best bully vets in the country.

I have a way to get buy on get one free on the small bags. PM me if you would like some info on it. You should buy a bunch of the small bags and see what works best. That's what I did.

Save your receipts, as NV will give you your money back if you're not satisfied.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
oh no, after a month of samson being on the chicken meal, we switched flavours to rabbit and he has the runs :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.