Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Hello everyone,
I was wondering what the best food you would recommend feeding an adult English Bulldog and why? Bruce drags his face along the carpet and furniture because of itchy eyes. He also wiggles around like there is an itch he can't get to on his back.

I've tried:
1. Taste of the Wild (TOTW) Salmon. I don't have any complaints about TOTW. I only switched from TOTW while trying to get to the bottom of Bruce's allergies which didn't resolve anything so I would have no problem with this food if I had to do it all over again.
2. NULO Salmon was a disaster. His stools were soft at best and sometimes were just sludge.
3. Natural Balance Venison. Bruce loves this stuff and it was able to quickly return his stools to normal after the NULO experiment.

I have heard good things about Royal Canin but think I'll stick with Natural Balance for now as his allergies do not appear to be food related.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello everyone,
I was wondering what the best food you would recommend feeding an adult English Bulldog and why? Bruce drags his face along the carpet and furniture because of itchy eyes. He also wiggles around like there is an itch he can't get to on his back.

I've tried:
1. Taste of the Wild (TOTW) Salmon. I don't have any complaints about TOTW. I only switched from TOTW while trying to get to the bottom of Bruce's allergies which didn't resolve anything so I would have no problem with this food if I had to do it all over again.
2. NULO Salmon was a disaster. His stools were soft at best and sometimes were just sludge.
3. Natural Balance Venison. Bruce loves this stuff and it was able to quickly return his stools to normal after the NULO experiment.

I have heard good things about Royal Canin but think I'll stick with Natural Balance for now as his allergies do not appear to be food related.
My dear you didn't hear right. Stay away from RC unless you own a cow.

If it's kibbles stick to Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Zignature. Or even better Raw.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I agree with above but i also agree that if he's doing well with the natural balance, hang with it if your comfortable...... Or, if you want to make a switch, mabie you just need to hang with "venison" as the protein if that seems to be good with him, then you could switch up and find even more results you like.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Acana is what we feed all our Bulldogs. Single protein Duck and Pear has done best for us working for all the rescues except one.

OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Thanks for your responses. Seems like Bruce doesn't do well with super high protein foods. When I started switching him back to Natural Balance he tightened back up in 2 days!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Some foods I would never recommend to feed ever like the vet prescribed ones but if he’s doing well on the NB...if it ain’t broke, why fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for your responses. Seems like Bruce doesn't do well with super high protein foods. When I started switching him back to Natural Balance he tightened back up in 2 days!!!

Acana has less protein than orijen. Idk for the others.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
if it works stick with it ...Natural Balance isn't horrible but RC sure is

If allergies are still an issue it could be the salmon or environmental

Mpillers

Feb 13, 2018
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
New to this Bulldog pleasure palace! I'm still food experimenting. Like NBalance LI, bison sweet potato but Otis has sooo many BM's! Is that normal for bull dogs? Mostly firm but the third on a walk is loose then runny. I just want what is best for this little bundle of joy foundling.

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Juzt wondering what makes Royal Canin so bad?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

It has a lot of fillers like corn and grains, which isn't good for dogs and it also has many chemicals. It is rated as a 2 or 3 Star food. There are many better foods listed on the Dog Food Rating Forum.

Khaleesi Waa

Jun 26, 2017
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi "Kally"
I don’t know how to change it in my profile, but i will update it as soon as I figure it out—-Khaleesi recently switched to acana because she was experiencing such bad allergies and yeast flare ups. I bought one bag of Origen after another and her stools seemed too hard. She’s no spring chicken and getting her to exercise is a challenge at times. So on a whim I called the 1-800 number to acana and they sent me samples of EVERY food, actually a few bags of each so i could try them out! For free! And I found that (after several weeks of trying each single protein kibble, she is doing amazing on Pork and Squash! Even her dry eye seems better! But we also got her the Cytopoint shot, so it could be that too. Nonetheless, her poop is great, she eats less too, and not so much rubbing, itching, and eye boogers!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It has a lot of fillers like corn and grains, which isn't good for dogs and it also has many chemicals. It is rated as a 2 or 3 Star food. There are many better foods listed on the Dog Food Rating Forum.

Exactly.... grains and no real meat

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I just want to say to be leery of Taste of the Wild. I have fed the Wild Bison to my bullies since they were puppies, and they have done well on it. However, I have a gut feeling that something may have changed in their recipe or ingredients that has caused Tucker's recent illness. I had just opened a new bag about the time he got sick, and the first trip to the vet show d undigested kibble in his tummy on the X-ray, 10 hours after his last meal. He then threw up the kibble almost 24 hours after the X-ray. The strange thing is, it has not affected Sophie, which is good. He just may be more sensitive. I've switched him to Earthborn Alaskan Pollock and Pumpkin.

Mar 26, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George King
Hello everyone,

I've tried:

I just got so much negative feed back for Royal Canin... so do not try that one!! I am in search of something new for George too. Good luck cutie!!!

Members online

No members online now.