What food should I feed my 10 week old

obes22

Mar 12, 2018
Cape Cod USA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie, Marge (RIP)
We are currently feeding my 10 week old bully Royal Canin bulldog puppy food. Iā€™ve read that there is better options. Does anyone recommend anything different. Iā€™ve read Taste of the wild is a better choice. Any guidance would be appreciated.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We are currently feeding my 10 week old bully Royal Canin bulldog puppy food. Iā€™ve read that there is better options. Does anyone recommend anything different. Iā€™ve read Taste of the wild is a better choice. Any guidance would be appreciated.

If itā€™s kibbles stick to Acana as it also has tripe in it, Orijen, Fromm n stick to ONE protein per bag so you can monitor if any allergies. Once youā€™ve done all the proteins then youā€™ll know what your puppy can have and not. Or even better go raw. But by all means get the poor thing OFF RC asap!!!

OP
O

obes22

Mar 12, 2018
Cape Cod USA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie, Marge (RIP)
If itā€™s kibbles stick to Acana as it also has tripe in it, Orijen, Fromm n stick to ONE protein per bag so you can monitor if any allergies. Once youā€™ve done all the proteins then youā€™ll know what your puppy can have and not. Or even better go raw. But by all means get the poor thing OFF RC asap!!!

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me whatā€™s wrong with RC. My breeder had him on it when we bought him. Where can I get Acana. Is it at pet store chains or online?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thanks for the response. Can you tell me whatā€™s wrong with RC. My breeder had him on it when we bought him. Where can I get Acana. Is it at pet store chains or online?

Look at the ingredients of RC and then look at the ingredients of Acana, Orijen, Fromm, etc. and you will be able to see what crap RC is. You can probably find Acana at certain pet store but not at chains like Petsmart/Petco. You might be able to find it online as well.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Read the first 5 ingredients! Vets gets a commission on each bag that sells!

When Nyala had crystal issues as a pup, the boot camp warden at my vets was pushing me and insisted to get Nyala on RC. Rule of thumb, NEVER push or force an Italian woman. She got me started, told her...Read the first 5 ingredients cause I pretend I didnā€™t have my glasses. She started to read and after 5 I asked her infront of other customers.....DOES NYALA LOOK LIKE A COW TO YOU? Then I told her....Never ask me again to feed my dog any crap like RC. Trust me that shut her up. I just donā€™t like being pushed into something I totally donā€™t agree with. Found out 6 months later she was fired cause ppl complained. All this to say.......your breeder probably gets a deal from the vet. Btw, google it, RC also got caught as thereā€™s feathers in the kibble. Itā€™s basically for fillers!!! This is not just because you have a bully, itā€™s for ALL pets.

OP
O

obes22

Mar 12, 2018
Cape Cod USA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie, Marge (RIP)
I went to a local farm/feed store. The women working there has 3 English Bulldogs. She agreed with everything about RC and recommended I try Fromm. She has all the foods that were mentioned but felt Fromm was a good option based on my bulldogs parents sizes. Either way they have all the food mentioned so I can try any if Fromm doesnā€™t work plus itā€™s less then 10 mins away. Thanks for the advice.

OP
O

obes22

Mar 12, 2018
Cape Cod USA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie, Marge (RIP)
So weā€™ve started him on the Fromm by mixing it with his RC. Heā€™s had 2 meals so far and had a soft yellow stool this am. This will be normal right while we transition him?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So weā€™ve started him on the Fromm by mixing it with his RC. Heā€™s had 2 meals so far and had a soft yellow stool this am. This will be normal right while we transition him?

Yes as puppies will be sensitive to transitions. Buy some 100% pumpkin purƩe NOT the ones for pies. Add a couple teaspoons in the meal n stools will get back on track. Btw....Which Fromm are you giving?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fromm Gold puppy chiot

Try the Fromm Heartland grain free... Lambeau did great on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BullyBewitched

Mar 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Samantha
I'm feeding mine Pure Vita Salmon and Peas. No transition problems b/c it is probiotic coated and easy to digest. I think Acana and Origen have some recalls going. The Pure Vita is for all stages, and I've had my puppy on it since 8 weeks (14 weeks now) and also my 11 year-old Frenchie. It may be hard to find if you're not in a big city, but it is avail online. Also, Re tripe, my puppy is INSANE for K9 Natural Lamb Green Tripe as a treat. She goes berzerk when I reach for the bag. That also has natural probiotics and can be used as a topper.

ollas

May 15, 2018
Iowa,Des Moines
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sniper
i don't believe there is such a thing as "the best food" for any dog.i would suggest you do your research and then pick a food you feel comfortable with, that is easily available and within your price range. You want to find a food that has no corn, soy, or wheat in it. Also, avoid by-products. By products can be anything including beaks, feet,etc.Look for meals(ie chicken meal, fish meal, etc).Canidae is what I feed and my dogs do well. Innova is also a very good food.Also, don't get anything with animal digest in it...yuck!You want to find a large breed puppy formula because you don't want him to grow too fast (too much protein like agilitydog said) Meat as the first ingredient is better than anything with corn as the first ingredient imo.I feed Fromm, but it is more expensive, and not really readily available to most people.Royal Canin is expensive and also not of good quality.Having just looked at the ingredient list of the French Bulldog version, it has rice and wheat as the first two ingredients - they are just fillers. It's got animal fat in it - no mention of what that animal is. For a dog that is prone to skin problems it is not good.
A good quality food has the named meat source at the top of the list of ingredients and is clearly labelled - no ambiguity. The purchaser should know exactly what it contains.
Here is an article https://petapproves.com/best-dog-food-for-bulldog-reviews/ about the domination of the big four pet food companies and the poor quality of some of their products.There are a lot of useful videos on this topic on Youtube, I will leave here one of them, as many often have similar questions.Good Luck.

SusieQB

Jul 6, 2018
Folsom California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wall-E
I'm feeding mine Pure Vita Salmon and Peas. No transition problems b/c it is probiotic coated and easy to digest. I think Acana and Origen have some recalls going. The Pure Vita is for all stages, and I've had my puppy on it since 8 weeks (14 weeks now) and also my 11 year-old Frenchie. It may be hard to find if you're not in a big city, but it is avail online. Also, Re tripe, my puppy is INSANE for K9 Natural Lamb Green Tripe as a treat. She goes berzerk when I reach for the bag. That also has natural probiotics and can be used as a topper.

Got some Tripe as you suggested. Just wondering, the label says to feed as a "raw" diet and not to mix cooked with raw. I'm not going "raw" at this time. Two questions, do I keep this in it's freeze dried state if I want to use it as "treats"? And is it ok to mix with a cooked diet if it is freeze dried? Thank you in advance.. Puppy will be here in a week, and I am trying to prepare..

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.