Puppy Food: Large Breed vs. Regular

montag

Feb 24, 2018
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duff
We just purchased Fromm Gold Puppy food and the store owner suggested we use the large breed puppy formula due to the English Bulldog breed issues with hips and joints. He feels that slowing the growth a bit may help.

Thoughts?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Puppy Food: Large Bred vs. Regular

Welcome to EBN!

Not sure it matters.... [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] -- thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini

I am not a dog food expert, but it seems to me, that since this is such a quality food, that it wouldn't make much difference. The ingredients are not that much different, and there is not a whole lot of difference in the protein/fat levels-but as I said,we will hear from more knowledgeable foodies!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

We usually ween from puppy food by 8-9 months...it's not really needed beyond that. As far as giving adult food during the "growing period"...I would not. That doesn't mean I would recommend against it, however. As has been pointed out already, the difference is not substantial.

OP
M

montag

Feb 24, 2018
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duff

We usually ween from puppy food by 8-9 months...it's not really needed beyond that. As far as giving adult food during the "growing period"...I would not. That doesn't mean I would recommend against it, however. As has been pointed out already, the difference is not substantial.

Thanks to all for advice and comments. Just to be clear...we are not considering giving him adult food. The debate was between Fromm Regular Puppy food or Fromm Large Breed Puppy food. Both puppy foods.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thanks to all for advice and comments. Just to be clear...we are not considering giving him adult food. The debate was between Fromm Regular Puppy food or Fromm Large Breed Puppy food. Both puppy foods.

I would just feed regular... I did for all my guys without issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Puppies should stay on puppy kibbles. Puppy food is a lot more rich in calories and balanced for puppies. Adult food will be missing certain ingredients a puppy needs that’s not in the adult bags. Enjoy your little furball!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I tend to agree with using the 'large breed' food. From past readings, it is important NOT to rush the growth but just nourish it with a good puppy food,,,,and being a bulldog, and they offer a large breed, i "PERSONALLY" would go with that.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Puppies should stay on puppy kibbles. Puppy food is a lot more rich in calories and balanced for puppies. Adult food will be missing certain ingredients a puppy needs that’s not in the adult bags. Enjoy your little furball!

Geez just realized your on about Puppy large breed. Duhhhh me lolll sorry about that!

Basically the size is so the puppy doesn’t choke on it. You wouldn’t give a toy breed dog a large kibble or vis versa for much larger breed like ohhh Great Dane. Same kibble just for different size of dogs. If puppy inhales like Duke you need a slow feeder bowl.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would tend to say large breed puppy food as well, since large breed puppy food has less calcium to slow down growth. By definition large breed means over 56 pounds, and giant breed more than 75 pounds at maturity. However any dog food rated for puppies or all stages should be fine. You can keep a dog on a large breed puppy food longer, eg. till over 1 year, as long as it isn't gaining too much weight.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

The debate was between Fromm Regular Puppy food or Fromm Large Breed Puppy food. Both puppy foods.
Lol, you were very clear the first time, but my speed reading was far from it. Either will get the job done.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag and have never had a problem with it. We have always heard to use one that is not high in protein so they will not grow too fast and be hard on the joints. We also with switch them to adult food at around 7 months of age.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Just as important for proper bone growth is not to overfeed your pupp. Also do not let it jump and run up and down stairs and overexercise till its growth plates are closed, around 14 months of age.

OP
M

montag

Feb 24, 2018
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duff
Thanks for all the great advice! We are using Fromm Gold Puppy in the green bag as they were out of the Heartland (pink bag).

We have noticed since we've weened him off Purina, his stool is much softer and eyes are tearing more. Off to read up on both those issues!

Most Reactions