2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All in all the boys are doing great... we have their annual wellness check coming up in a few weeks so I'll have even better info after seeing what our vet says about their health and appearance.

Over the past month we did two weeks of beef which the boys did well on, but I opted to go back to duck. Also, had to remove sauerkraut as the probiotic and go back to raw goats milk... the kraut was making Cheli throw up on a daily basis. Once I remove the kraut his vomiting stopped. The boys are feed twice a day 5:00 AM and 5:00 PM

Lambeau:
-- gets 2/3 cup (about 6 oz) at each meal.
-- he has gained two pounds (60 lbs) since we started raw back in December, but I do not want to lessen his intake because we found if we feed before 5 PM, he wakes up around 3:30 - 4 AM and vomits bile.
-- his ears are still clean and I barely have to wipe them. I still do at least twice a week for good measure
-- The only area I see no improvement is his folds... one eye still constantly runs and I'm thinking it is something in the house. So I stopped using all candles and oils which is usually a cinnamon/clove scent about two weeks ago -- no change. :ponder: Going to have his eye checked at wellness appointment just to double check eye lashes/lids again. We did this last year and were told they were in good shape.

Cheli:
-- gets 1/3 cup (about 3oz) at each meal
-- he is holding at 25 lbs
-- his ears, skin, folds and breath are all good...breath before raw was horrible, but his teeth are in great shape
-- he does on occasion get a little regurgitation, but noting major and not consistent

We have still not added any other treats into the diet.... they get Stella and Chewy duck meal toppers as potty/training treats (training never stops) and raw marrow bones on Saturday nights.
Going to stay on duck for a full month to see if any other improvement or set backs happen.

Will update again after their wellness check up in a few weeks.

ce301764f59e1f98ad76c612f27abf9b.jpg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for update! Very inspiring and great to hear your boys are doing so well on raw. Interesting too to hear Lambeau's folds/eyes haven't improved - that is my recollection too from last time Castor tried raw. Nonetheless, I was inspired by your previous posts so I started reintroducing raw to Castor this week but after three days his stomach was really upset. Perhaps it was not at all the raw feeding but something he picked up outdoors, but the poor pup has been on rice and cooked ground beef for two days now. He seems happy so perhaps I should start home cooking instead :)

everton

Feb 2, 2017
uk gwent wales
Country
wales gwent uk
Bulldog(s) Names
milo
our milo been on the raw for about a month .hes been a little chesty phelmy on an off sicky but not always may go back to dry food after this supply ends

but he looks better and poo is better :yes:

500g leak proof packs.

Approx 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ
rawpetsupplies
uk only 1 year.png606171056.jpg

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
our milo been on the raw for about a month .hes been a little chesty phelmy on an off sicky but not always may go back to dry food after this supply ends

but he looks better and poo is better :yes:

500g leak proof packs.

Approx 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ
rawpetsupplies
uk only View attachment 111011View attachment 111012

Phlegm and 'chesty'. Could be environmental allergies... try an antihistamine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Loving this !! Something i am surprised at is that Lambeau is only getting 6 oz and gaining some. He's a quiet boy though right?? Hank is getting 8-10 oz each meal and just holding and he's under 50 lbs. He's very active though still so hopefully when he slows down HA! food intake will lessen ;) Also, something interesting is, his pink face and slight eye drip aft eating stopped immediately after starting raw for both meals..... and then, it seemed to start up a drip. bingo!! It's the turkey/duck/ chicken patties im nearly sure as today, he didnt get that 'combo' patty and NO drip from his eyes!! Also, seems NOW when i give him his Acana, he licks his feet which he didnt even do when he ate it all the time.. this certainly is a "SCIENCE PROJECT" as mentioned. OH YEA!! edited to add,,, YOUR KIDS LOOK GREAT!!! and looking forward to hearing what the vet sais ;)

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Loving this !! Something i am surprised at is that Lambeau is only getting 6 oz and gaining some. He's a quiet boy though right?? Hank is getting 8-10 oz each meal and just holding and he's under 50 lbs. He's very active though still so hopefully when he slows down HA! food intake will lessen ;) Also, something interesting is, his pink face and slight eye drip aft eating stopped immediately after starting raw for both meals..... and then, it seemed to start up a drip. bingo!! It's the turkey/duck/ chicken patties im nearly sure as today, he didnt get that 'combo' patty and NO drip from his eyes!! Also, seems NOW when i give him his Acana, he licks his feet which he didnt even do when he ate it all the time.. this certainly is a "SCIENCE PROJECT" as mentioned. OH YEA!! edited to add,,, YOUR KIDS LOOK GREAT!!! and looking forward to hearing what the vet sais ;)

I might switch to rabbit after this month... going to see if any change with doing a full month of duck. And, yes Lambeau is not very active... maybe an hour a day total of activity..

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thanks for update! Very inspiring and great to hear your boys are doing so well on raw. Interesting too to hear Lambeau's folds/eyes haven't improved - that is my recollection too from last time Castor tried raw. Nonetheless, I was inspired by your previous posts so I started reintroducing raw to Castor this week but after three days his stomach was really upset. Perhaps it was not at all the raw feeding but something he picked up outdoors, but the poor pup has been on rice and cooked ground beef for two days now. He seems happy so perhaps I should start home cooking instead :)

Perhaps you should try a different protein? Turkey, duck and rabbit are better tolerated. Also you may need smaller meals 3 times a day.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Try Castor on dehydrated raw for a while before you try frozen raw.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Try Castor on dehydrated raw for a while before you try frozen raw.

Ah, thanks - interesting. Not sure dehydrated raw is available here, though. Will look into that!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ah, thanks - interesting. Not sure dehydrated raw is available here, though. Will look into that!

When I removed kibbles for Duke cause of his little hole patches on his coat, I only up the raw slowly. Both were use having tripe everyday. Frozen can be hard on a stomach if the dog never eats frozen. Start slowly. Also home cooking is also great. Nyala did very well on it. Just add a multi vitamin daily that’s all.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] have you tried the frozen green smelly tripe? If you recall Duke had bad tear stains especially on one side Of his face. Thicker fold. Tried cornstarch, blu, oils n nothing worked. He’s been tear stain free for over a good 3ish months. He was on half kibbles n half raw back then n still no stains. But he was on tripe n acv in their drinking water for over 6 months now. Tripe is given as a snack daily. And yes I try keeping it dry as much as I can. Just a thought. Oh n the couple pounds he gain can be muscles as he’s only on protein which builds muscles. :)

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When I removed kibbles for Duke cause of his little hole patches on his coat, I only up the raw slowly. Both were use having tripe everyday. Frozen can be hard on a stomach if the dog never eats frozen. Start slowly. Also home cooking is also great. Nyala did very well on it. Just add a multi vitamin daily that’s all.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] have you tried the frozen green smelly tripe? If you recall Duke had bad tear stains especially on one side Of his face. Thicker fold. Tried cornstarch, blu, oils n nothing worked. He’s been tear stain free for over a good 3ish months. He was on half kibbles n half raw back then n still no stains. But he was on tripe n acv in their drinking water for over 6 months now. Tripe is given as a snack daily. And yes I try keeping it dry as much as I can. Just a thought. Oh n the couple pounds he gain can be muscles as he’s only on protein which builds muscles. :)

Haven't gotten tripe yet... thinking that is next step. And, AVC if I put in water bowl they won't touch it. I might mix in food

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Haven't gotten tripe yet... thinking that is next step. And, AVC if I put in water bowl they won't touch it. I might mix in food

I had tried putting ACV in water before and Jax wouldn’t touch it. Put in in the food and no problems.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@2BullyMama have you tried the frozen green smelly tripe? If you recall Duke had bad tear stains especially on one side Of his face. Thicker fold. Tried cornstarch, blu, oils n nothing worked. He’s been tear stain free for over a good 3ish months. He was on half kibbles n half raw back then n still no stains. But he was on tripe n acv in their drinking water for over 6 months now. Tripe is given as a snack daily. And yes I try keeping it dry as much as I can. Just a thought. Oh n the couple pounds he gain can be muscles as he’s only on protein which builds muscles. :)

I read somewhere else too about adding multivitamins to dogs' homecooked food. Sounds easy enough but I will need to read up a bit on this, I realise. Castor has been on raw for two long periods before and at some stage with rumen - is that tripe? Smelled awful at least! Well, let's see.
@Dollys Owner It seems like dehydrated is not available here at a reasonable price so apart from kibble I guess raw and homecooked are our options. Right now the little one is back on his kibble and happy enough!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I read somewhere else too about adding multivitamins to dogs' homecooked food. Sounds easy enough but I will need to read up a bit on this, I realise. Castor has been on raw for two long periods before and at some stage with rumen - is that tripe? Smelled awful at least! Well, let's see.
@Dollys Owner It seems like dehydrated is not available here at a reasonable price so apart from kibble I guess raw and homecooked are our options. Right now the little one is back on his kibble and happy enough!

Pure pet food from UK is available in Sweden https://purepetfood.co.uk/dogs/dehydrated-recipes

Members online

No members online now.