DADā€™s local family farm... corn! They got the farm part right... Lolll

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
It's really sad that there are people who can't afford to feed their dogs anything else.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It's really sad that there are people who can't afford to feed their dogs anything else.

Even if you don't have much money you can still buy decent dry dog food that isn't expensive, eg. Costco Kirkland Natureā€™s Domain which is 4 star on dogfoodadvisor. People get misled by all the advertising by the big dog food companies and buy the unhealthy ones loaded with grains and meat byproducts. Unfortunately if you have a dog with allergies, like a lot of bull dog owners do, most if not all dry dog foods won't meet our needs, so we have to buy dehydrated raw or frozen raw.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
As [MENTION=12725]Dollys[/MENTION] Owner says, you can buy a decent dry food that doesn't cost a fortune. I think it is a false economy to buy a cheaper food as you have to feed them more to fill them up and you are filling them with unhealthy fillers. For example, my 27 lb bag of Zignature, grain free, lasts me 6 weeks and that is for two dogs, Monty (approx 67 lbs) and my 25lb Dachshund. $10.83 a week for 2 dogs (not including the frozen green beans) is a bargain! Royal Canin on Chewy costs $57.68 for a 30 lb bag. Zignature costs me $65 for 27 lbs. Yes it is more expensive but not by a lot and look at the first two ingredients of the RC, Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal. Not good! Earthborn Holistic Grain Free is cheaper ($47) than RC and 4.5 stars!

Sorry, didn't mean to go on a rant!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Rule of thumb....never buy any dog that are know for issues as kibbles like so will trigger a health problem down the road.
And......If you barely canā€™t afford feeding yourself or your family, you just simply donā€™t get any pet. Feeding your family comes first in my book.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Where are the Kirkland Signature Super Premium and Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Pet Foods made? All of the dry foods are made by Diamond Pet Foods in four company owned manufacturing facilities, all in the United States. Two are located in California, one in Missouri and one in South Carolina.

"And......If you barely canā€™t afford feeding yourself or your family, you just simply donā€™t get any pet. Feeding your family comes first in my book. " [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Love you-but I don't have much at all. Feed my dogs the best food I can. Actually I do without alot to do that. BUT,if not for the dogs,I would have given up a long time ago. I know your statement is correct.but THEY ARE my family.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Where are the Kirkland Signature Super Premium and Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Pet Foods made? All of the dry foods are made by Diamond Pet Foods in four company owned manufacturing facilities, all in the United States. Two are located in California, one in Missouri and one in South Carolina.

"And......If you barely canā€™t afford feeding yourself or your family, you just simply donā€™t get any pet. Feeding your family comes first in my book. " [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Love you-but I don't have much at all. Feed my dogs the best food I can. Actually I do without alot to do that. BUT,if not for the dogs,I would have given up a long time ago. I know your statement is correct.but THEY ARE my family.

I shouldnā€™t put everyone in the same boat. Youā€™re correct but..I should be clearer n just say children..... Iā€™ve work a couple decades with kids and some parents would feed their dogs before their own kids. Dogs were better fed than their own child. It just pees me off when I see that. If youā€™re living on your own n have a dog I for sure understand and yes they are family. I get that. No problem there. I was thinking more on small kids that would come to school not fed but their dogs always had food. The number of times I gave my lunch to these kids. Even baked muffins to bring with me for them. Eventually I added these kids on ā€œmeal dealā€ tickets so they can have free lunch everyday. I figured one meal is better than none. I even got called from Head office asking why Iā€™m putting a lot of children on these tickets. Told them we have a budget n Iā€™m going to use it for these children. Iā€™ll never forget a 5yr old kindergarten brought for lunch a drumstick. Teacher brought it to me in my office and said...Helene smell this...man I hate when someone says that lol..it smelled so sour wasnā€™t funny. I threw it in the garbage n told the child I dropped his drumstick on the floor n I was sorry. Gave him a free meal n put him also on the meal deal tickets. The comment was basically for children. Iā€™ve seen so many food issues at some schools wasnā€™t funny. So no not meant for good hearted souls like you.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Diamond Pet Foods wouldn't be my first choice, but we are talking about trying get the highest quality food for the cheapest price. They haven't had a recall since May 2012, so they have picked up their act lately. I definitely wouldn't get the Nature's Domain salmon since it doesn't specify farmed or wild, so it's probably farmed.

Most Reactions