Help Needed! Help! Overwhelmed with food selection - we are lost!!!

pumpkindotty

Nov 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumpkin
Hi everybody! :hiya: :newhere:

We adopted an 4-year-old EB named Pumpkin back in November from a lovely family that was moving overseas. We are so lucky to have her! Needless to say, there has been a lot of nights where my husband and I kept asking questions to each other...is she well? is she healthy? do you think she's comfortable? is she okay? what was that noice? is she mad at us? what is she doing? :D

When Pumpkin joined us, the previous family had her on RC Bulldog - so we kept it the same. Firm/regular stools, eating regularly, everything was okay (well, little deadly farts here and there as well :excited:) - until we realized RC might not be the greatest choice for her after doing some research. :fie:

So after days and days of searching, we slowly introduced TOTW High Prairie -- and she's been on it almost a month now. Here's what we are seeing:

-Been adjusting her food intake - she's at 47lb, super active and healthy. She was losing weight a bit so we thought she needed more food...but then it leads to more poo.
-Lots of water intake (we've already gotten her checked for UTI)
-LOADS OF POOP! I mean, piles. We came home to a pile of cold poo waiting in front of the door for the first time today. :(
-Going pooping 1-2 times a day to 3-4 times a day
-Loose stools...super hard to pick up (we've tried everything...pumpkin, etc. No help!)
-Little squirts when lounging (although we have to say...it sounds really cute)
-Excessive scratching near her neck - sometimes her ears (we do clean her ears twice a week)

We are little worried that this food might not be suitable for her. We don't want to go back on RC (if we don't have to) and raw diet isn't something that we are comfortable with trying just yet - perhaps in the near future. So here are our questions:

-Do I go back to RC right away or keep on feeding TOTW until we found an alternative? Or do you think keeping her on RC would be the best option?
-What are some alternative grain-free dry kibble/food options that we could have her try? We keep noticing good things about Fromm and/or Orijen -- any specific kind recommendations? There are so many to choose from!! Thankfully, we are not aware of any allergies yet.

We understand that similar issue might have been addressed already, but we (more like me) are losing sleep over this and would love any help/guidance we can get -- we just want to make sure Pumpkin stays on a good diet!

Thank you so much for your help, time, expertise, and recommendations in advance -- we need your help!!!! :sos::sos::sos:

From,
Pumpkin's worried momma

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everybody! :hiya: :newhere:

We adopted an 4-year-old EB named Pumpkin back in November from a lovely family that was moving overseas. We are so lucky to have her! Needless to say, there has been a lot of nights where my husband and I kept asking questions to each other...is she well? is she healthy? do you think she's comfortable? is she okay? what was that noice? is she mad at us? what is she doing? :D

When Pumpkin joined us, the previous family had her on RC Bulldog - so we kept it the same. Firm/regular stools, eating regularly, everything was okay (well, little deadly farts here and there as well :excited:) - until we realized RC might not be the greatest choice for her after doing some research. :fie:

So after days and days of searching, we slowly introduced TOTW High Prairie -- and she's been on it almost a month now. Here's what we are seeing:

-Been adjusting her food intake - she's at 47lb, super active and healthy. She was losing weight a bit so we thought she needed more food...but then it leads to more poo.
-Lots of water intake (we've already gotten her checked for UTI)
-LOADS OF POOP! I mean, piles. We came home to a pile of cold poo waiting in front of the door for the first time today. :(
-Going pooping 1-2 times a day to 3-4 times a day
-Loose stools...super hard to pick up (we've tried everything...pumpkin, etc. No help!)
-Little squirts when lounging (although we have to say...it sounds really cute)
-Excessive scratching near her neck - sometimes her ears (we do clean her ears twice a week)

We are little worried that this food might not be suitable for her. We don't want to go back on RC (if we don't have to) and raw diet isn't something that we are comfortable with trying just yet - perhaps in the near future. So here are our questions:

-Do I go back to RC right away or keep on feeding TOTW until we found an alternative? Or do you think keeping her on RC would be the best option?
-What are some alternative grain-free dry kibble/food options that we could have her try? We keep noticing good things about Fromm and/or Orijen -- any specific kind recommendations? There are so many to choose from!! Thankfully, we are not aware of any allergies yet.

We understand that similar issue might have been addressed already, but we (more like me) are losing sleep over this and would love any help/guidance we can get -- we just want to make sure Pumpkin stays on a good diet!

Thank you so much for your help, time, expertise, and recommendations in advance -- we need your help!!!! :sos::sos::sos:

From,
Pumpkin's worried momma

Hello there and WELCOME to EBN... everyone thatā€™s new to the forum is basically asking same question as RC and TOTW is blank blank blank. Lol. RC is the pits n TOTW has way too many recalls. Frozen raw or dry is the way to go to eliminate issues. If itā€™s kibbles you want, top quality is Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Zignature..... start with ONE protein per bag as it will help you to eliminate allergies if any...change protein after each bag. Keep a little journal to keep track since you got her at 4. Sheā€™ll be fine. Remember to breathe!!! Lol. We are here for you!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi and welcome :) Looks like you already got the goods on dog foods. Most here love those, and or the freeze dried honest kitchen, easy raw, and other of those types. . One other thing is, you can try adding a scoop (lg tablespoon?) of canned pumpkin , just plane! not the ready pie filling one, to her food. Helps with the poop situation . and then theres the pro/prebiotics that help as well. Theres tons of good info here as well if you check the 'nutrition' thread. sounds like a lucky kid ya got there :) Us parents do love our babies and ohhhhhhhhhhhh so many questions about whats good bad and other. enjoy :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hi and welcome!!

As stated, RC and TOTW are not good foods. And I totally understand not being ready for raw yet. It took me months of trying different kibbles for my Frenchie and nothing was working so I had finally made the switch and it really is the best. But if youā€™re not ready yet, stick to Acana, Orijen, Fromm or Zignature. There are probably others as well but these are all high quality and a lot of members here feed them with good results.

Another option would be a dehydrated raw like The Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucyā€™s. All you do is mix it with warm water to rehydrate.

Once you switch to a better food, you will definitely see good results.

And if you arenā€™t already, you can add in a probiotic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spameggsandrice

Aug 14, 2017
Simpsonville, SC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brix
I think it is good to definitely look at all the reviews and opinions of members, but the most important thing is what works for you and your situation. Many factors like cost, allergies, goals (weight loss, etc.) Being newer to the Bulldog life I looked at all the manufacture sites, reviews, and individual opinion/experience. Compiled all that and applied it to my situation help out on what food I decided on.

spameggsandrice

Aug 14, 2017
Simpsonville, SC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brix
From https://www.reviews.com/dog-food/

The Best Dog Food Brands ā€” And How to Make Your Final Pick
After hundreds of hours of ingredient research and expert interviews, we ended up with 28 top brands. Theyā€™re all great. They all provided a balanced diet with high-quality proteins and limited fillers, and weā€™d feel good feeding any of them to our pets.

Hereā€™s where your job comes in. Short of specific health concerns like digestive issues or chronic illness, your final purchasing choice depends on your preferences ā€” and those of your dog.

What are your dogā€™s favorite flavors? Just like humans, dogs have preferences. One of our office dogs, for example, devours salmon with gusto, but acts offended if heā€™s served bison. Since no single protein source is superior, itā€™s fine to cater to your dogā€™s preferences ā€” or to explore a variety of flavors if youā€™re a new pup owner.
Does your dog have allergies? Signs that your dog may have a food allergy include itchy skin, diarrhea, and gassiness. If you donā€™t think your dog has a food allergy, heā€™s probably fine: Food allergies make up ten percent of all dog allergies. But if youā€™ve noticed any of the issues above, it might be time to switch formulas. ā€œWhen pets have food sensitivities or allergies, it is most commonly due to protein in the food,ā€ Dr. Gary Richter told us. ā€œSometimes the problem is a meat like chicken or beef, and sometimes it is the protein component of plant material, such as wheat, corn, or rice.ā€
Fend off overexposure allergies
Dogs that eat one single formula for months or years can sometimes develop food allergies based on overexposure. A good way to help your dog avoid this is to occasionally vary the type of protein he receives.

Which brands are most accessible? Our top picks are all readily available online, but some companies only distribute regionally, or in specialty stores. If you prefer in-person shopping, you might run into some of our regional runners-up on the shelves. Rest assured that they are excellent choices as well.
What makes sense for your wallet? No matter what your budget looks like, donā€™t feel guilty about sticking to it. If youā€™re willing and able, and want to spend $15 per pound for our most expensive dry food (Ziwi Peak), go for it. If you want to pay $1.13 for Fromm Classic, our cheapest pick, weā€™re confident that itā€™s a balanced, nutritious, and high-quality option. Donā€™t feel pressured to get the most expensive food in order to be a #1 dog parent.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Honestly, if RC worked well, do you have to change? It's not like it's dangerous food, as far as I understand, although it contains things that statistically are less good than the ingredients in other foods. I think what works for the individual should be the most important priority. Many of Castor's dog friends (they are not bulldogs, though) eat some version of RC and they look completely healthy.

Castor has tested quite a few different brands over the years and raw too, and we have found that Acana (Lamb and apple) works ok with some extra carrots (we buy dried carrots and add a spoonful).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Honestly, if RC worked well, do you have to change? It's not like it's dangerous food, as far as I understand, although it contains things that statistically are less good than the ingredients in other foods. I think what works for the individual should be the most important priority. Many of Castor's dog friends (they are not bulldogs, though) eat some version of RC and they look completely healthy.

Castor has tested quite a few different brands over the years and raw too, and we have found that Acana (Lamb and apple) works ok with some extra carrots (we buy dried carrots and add a spoonful).

Basically itā€™s all grains and down the road the dog will develop other issues. While still young easier to do a switch. My 2cents bella! :D

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
From https://www.reviews.com/dog-food/

The Best Dog Food Brands ā€” And How to Make Your Final Pick
After hundreds of hours of ingredient research and expert interviews, we ended up with 28 top brands. Theyā€™re all great. They all provided a balanced diet with high-quality proteins and limited fillers, and weā€™d feel good feeding any of them to our pets.

Hereā€™s where your job comes in. Short of specific health concerns like digestive issues or chronic illness, your final purchasing choice depends on your preferences ā€” and those of your dog.

What are your dogā€™s favorite flavors? Just like humans, dogs have preferences. One of our office dogs, for example, devours salmon with gusto, but acts offended if heā€™s served bison. Since no single protein source is superior, itā€™s fine to cater to your dogā€™s preferences ā€” or to explore a variety of flavors if youā€™re a new pup owner.
Does your dog have allergies? Signs that your dog may have a food allergy include itchy skin, diarrhea, and gassiness. If you donā€™t think your dog has a food allergy, heā€™s probably fine: Food allergies make up ten percent of all dog allergies. But if youā€™ve noticed any of the issues above, it might be time to switch formulas. ā€œWhen pets have food sensitivities or allergies, it is most commonly due to protein in the food,ā€ Dr. Gary Richter told us. ā€œSometimes the problem is a meat like chicken or beef, and sometimes it is the protein component of plant material, such as wheat, corn, or rice.ā€
Fend off overexposure allergies
Dogs that eat one single formula for months or years can sometimes develop food allergies based on overexposure. A good way to help your dog avoid this is to occasionally vary the type of protein he receives.

Which brands are most accessible? Our top picks are all readily available online, but some companies only distribute regionally, or in specialty stores. If you prefer in-person shopping, you might run into some of our regional runners-up on the shelves. Rest assured that they are excellent choices as well.
What makes sense for your wallet? No matter what your budget looks like, donā€™t feel guilty about sticking to it. If youā€™re willing and able, and want to spend $15 per pound for our most expensive dry food (Ziwi Peak), go for it. If you want to pay $1.13 for Fromm Classic, our cheapest pick, weā€™re confident that itā€™s a balanced, nutritious, and high-quality option. Donā€™t feel pressured to get the most expensive food in order to be a #1 dog parent.

It's quite simple:
Healthiest choice ( least convenient ) : Frozen raw
Second Healthiest ( more convenient ): Dehydrated raw ( freeze dried raw too expensive except as a topper )
Less Healthy ( most convenient ) : Kibble
Least healthy ( quite convenient ) : Canned dog food (possibly due to carageenan causing intestinal inflammation)

OP
P

pumpkindotty

Nov 24, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumpkin
Hi guys,

Thank you SO much for all your resources and help!!!!!!! I'm so thankful for the site and this forum. There are lots, and lots of information that I need to digest -- still learning! I guess we will need to go through trial and error and see what's good for her - we will see. We will let you know!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our gang has you covered!!!! best of luck.... and please keep us posted and ask away on any question as that is what we are all here for... help and support, along with lots of bulldog pictures

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.