Jan 27, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Hi everyone! Iā€™m new to this board and to the wonderful world of owning an English bulldog. We recently rescued a 7year old (soon to be 8 in July) English bulldog. He is wonderful and up until now hasnā€™t had the best life. We want to spoil him and give him as many years of a happy life as possible! With that being said he was eating Chicken soup for the soul dog food when we rescued him. We want to get him on the best food for his age. He is 46 pounds (not overweight), no allergies that we know of but does has some teeth issues so a smaller kibble is preferred (he also inhales his food). There are so many mixed reviews on high protein diets for senior dogs and originally we were thinking Orijen senior due to the high levels of ingredients that aided with healthy joints and good protein but then some people say thatā€™s too high in protein. We also considered merrick raw infused food but that is not specified for seniors and again has high protein. We love the idea of raw but we wouldnā€™t feel comfortable feeding raw not knowing how to balance the nutritional values. We also liked the idea of the Honest kitchen but thatā€™s almost 200 a month. Iā€™m not opposed to a pricey kibble but we just donā€™t know the right brand. Anyoneā€™s help and opinions are so appreciated. We just want to have Brutus in our lives as long as possibke!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you don't like the price of dehydrated raw, try a commercial dog food frozen ground raw that you buy in 1 pound or 2 pound chunks from your local pet store or get delivered (cheaper than buying patties or 1 oz medallions). Your dog will need about 1 pound a day, so you will need to feed 1/2 pound twice a day. It takes about 7-8 hr to semi thaw a 2 pound chunk in refrigerator, then you cut it up, put it in a ziplock bag, and refreeze the ones you won't be using over the next 2 days. This will be the healthiest one you can give your dog, switch dog over a week or two, start with an easy to digest protein like duck, turkey or rabbit.

If this is too much work for you, stay with Chicken Soup for the Soul if you like since it's a good brand, but make sure it's grain free. Other good brands include Acana, Carna4, Zignature, Fromm.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone! Iā€™m new to this board and to the wonderful world of owning an English bulldog. We recently rescued a 7year old (soon to be 8 in July) English bulldog. He is wonderful and up until now hasnā€™t had the best life. We want to spoil him and give him as many years of a happy life as possible! With that being said he was eating Chicken soup for the soul dog food when we rescued him. We want to get him on the best food for his age. He is 46 pounds (not overweight), no allergies that we know of but does has some teeth issues so a smaller kibble is preferred (he also inhales his food). There are so many mixed reviews on high protein diets for senior dogs and originally we were thinking Orijen senior due to the high levels of ingredients that aided with healthy joints and good protein but then some people say thatā€™s too high in protein. We also considered merrick raw infused food but that is not specified for seniors and again has high protein. We love the idea of raw but we wouldnā€™t feel comfortable feeding raw not knowing how to balance the nutritional values. We also liked the idea of the Honest kitchen but thatā€™s almost 200 a month. Iā€™m not opposed to a pricey kibble but we just donā€™t know the right brand. Anyoneā€™s help and opinions are so appreciated. We just want to have Brutus in our lives as long as possibke!

I never understood why someone came up with ā€œa senior dog needs less protein ā€œ I like to meet this person that started this bull crap. Anyway thatā€™s another thread lol....went digging in my long bookmarks and got you the link attached. Orijen is high in calories but, yes a but....if heā€™s 46lbs n not fat at all n gets exercised on regular basis, you can give Orijen but go for non senior if itā€™s kibbles you want to feed. Or go with Acana. Same company, quality kibble n less calories. I would go with their Grassland. Duck n lamb. Start with that for a good month and slowly give frozen raw. You can do raw in the morning n kibbles at night. Nothing is wrong with baby steps. You donā€™t really know your dog nor his system yet. For the teeth, give ā€œonlyā€ frozen marrow bones. Marrow is great overall for the whole system n great for the teeth. Keeps the teeth solid for these chewers. Basically get to know Brutus n start gradually. Btw congrats on rescuing!

I thought Chicken soup for the soul was a book....

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...-from-tufts-study-of-37-senior-dog-foods.aspx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome! Thank you for rescuing Brutus and giving him a great new home.

if you want to stay with kibble... Zingnature, Fromm, Earthborn Holistic, Oriejn, Acana are you best options.... Fromm will have the smallst kibble they are very small and was my brand before recently switching to raw ... the small kibble was one of the reasons as both my guys inhale their food

Would love to see some pictures

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.