I'm not sure

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
So I posted yesterday about Tubs trip to the vet and all that excitement. I also commented on how bad his gas is! I don't know what is causing this. Other than all of the excitement I switched Tubs to a new food this past week. He was on Nutro for a little while, but he started to get bad tear stains, more on his left eye then the right. After asking questions and looking around on this site I saw that AvoDerm was a better food for the tear stains, so I decided to try that. I divided the food up over the week 25/75 for 2 days 50/50 for 2 days and 75/25 for 2 days. Yesterday was the first day that he was on it 100% and the gas has been off the wall! He was fine up until yesterday! Could this be the food??? Should I switch him back to the Nutro??? I don't know what is going on, but I don't think I can take this gas anymore!! He was stinking everyone out of puppy class tonight and my house smells like one big bulldog fart right now! Not only are they bad, but they are one right after the other. The air doesn't have time to clear before he lets another one go! Any suggestions??? PLEASE!!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Sometimes it takes a few days for the food to settle.
Try a little yogurt with it. That helped HRH's gassiness after antibiotics.

Oh, and burn candles :whew:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
:lol:!!! Give a little time and see if it keeps happening(also do what LariP says and burn some candles LOL)If it doesnt go away, maybe you should try some other food, something a little more easy on the digestive system. Mocha hardly ever has gas like that (thank God :whew:)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Maybe back up and go slower to introduce new food. Jake was new but I took over 2 weeks to make complete change..and vet said if any problems.. Go back a step and take smaller steps forward..maybe worth a try?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It can really take time to adjust to a new food. I cannot remember how gassy my bullies were on AvoDerm to be honest! I would give it at least a week to see if the gas will pass. If not, perhaPs there is something in that food that does not agree with him. But definitely stay away from Nutro-- that will be a huge step backwards! Maybe try Fromm as I have 5 bullies and no gas at all!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
It can really take time to adjust to a new food. I cannot remember how gassy my bullies were on AvoDerm to be honest! I would give it at least a week to see if the gas will pass. If not, perhaPs there is something in that food that does not agree with him. But definitely stay away from Nutro-- that will be a huge step backwards! Maybe try Fromm as I have 5 bullies and no gas at all!

I agree totally with what desertskybulldogs just said. I would add that I do love Fromm, and both my bullies are doing wonderfully on it. However, Daddy has always had truly awful gas!!! I would come home from work and ask if one of the dogs had pooped in the house somewhere because that is all it smelt of!!! In short, after giving Maggie Fromm Chicken n Veggies she developed an allergy to chicken. I'm fairly sure of this because she developed a smelly face, tear stains, hot spots on one side of her lip and interdigital cysts on her back paw that then became infected. I say that I'm "fairly sure" of this allerby because there is no way I'm going to use the chicken again just to check out my theory!! So I went for the Fromm Beef Frittata which is chicken and grain free. We also tried the surf n' turf which is grain free but a minimal amount of chicken in it and on both of these Maggie has been fine. BUT .... and this is the actual point I'm getting to!!! Going to the grain free food has cleared up Daddy's horrendous smelly farting!!! Hallelujah!!! :up::up::up:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
A lot of reputable stores will take a food back that doesn't work out for you so you may not be out any $ if the AvoDerm doesn't work for your pup. Ask your store what their policy is. If returned in the original bag our store will take back foods.

OP
speechmom53

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Thanks everyone for all of the wonderful advice. I will give it a couple more days and see how things go. I have to say though, I think he ended up with the rash on his back around the time I started the new food....I think :confused:. I wonder if there IS something that doesn't agree with him in the AvoDerm. I will see how he does the rest of the week and if it isn't better I will look into something else. I do have to say that the only problem I had with the Nutro was the tear stains! UGGGG. He had minimal gas, but nothing this bad! Who knew it would be so hard to find the right food for our little guy! :crazy:

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.