Help Needed! How do you know what allergies your bully has and what to feed them?

Hazelsmama

Jan 26, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel
Hi All! I have a 6 month old little cutie named Hazel and Iā€™m so lost as to food choice/allergies... everytime I think weā€™ve found something she does good on she gets itchy and uncomfortable again. she is currently eating Castor and Pollux Pristine Beef and Chic Pea but after reading lots of posts/forums Iā€™m thinking it may be too high in protein. Itā€™s 34% but someone recommended it because itā€™s high in glucosamine and chondroiton. Sheā€™s been eating that for about 4 weeks now and just when I go t buy the big bag sheā€™s itching majorly again. I donā€™t really know whatā€™s bothering her (grain and chicken weā€™ve ruled out and donā€™t feed her that) but how do I know what to try next? How long does she have to be eating it before I know if itā€™s going to bother her? Weā€™ve tried Merrick, Blue Buffalo and Instinct and all eventually make her itchy. Right now itā€™s her ears, back of her neck, and her eyes are super watery. Please help!!! Thanks in advance.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi All! I have a 6 month old little cutie named Hazel and Iā€™m so lost as to food choice/allergies... everytime I think weā€™ve found something she does good on she gets itchy and uncomfortable again. she is currently eating Castor and Pollux Pristine Beef and Chic Pea but after reading lots of posts/forums Iā€™m thinking it may be too high in protein. Itā€™s 34% but someone recommended it because itā€™s high in glucosamine and chondroiton. Sheā€™s been eating that for about 4 weeks now and just when I go t buy the big bag sheā€™s itching majorly again. I donā€™t really know whatā€™s bothering her (grain and chicken weā€™ve ruled out and donā€™t feed her that) but how do I know what to try next? How long does she have to be eating it before I know if itā€™s going to bother her? Weā€™ve tried Merrick, Blue Buffalo and Instinct and all eventually make her itchy. Right now itā€™s her ears, back of her neck, and her eyes are super watery. Please help!!! Thanks in advance.

Hello there and welcome! ! Protien is not the issue usually its "meal" as example beef meal, chicken meal, lamb meal ...you get my drift, thats 300% protein. Watch for the word meal. Start over and I always suggest to everyone that has especially pups, start over with ONE PROTEIN per bag. Its the easiest way to determine what the pup/dog will be allergic to if any. Takes a good 2-4 weeks to determine allergies. If its kibbles you want tonstick to, get acana or fromm as they make one protein bags. I personally prefer Acana as I never seen Fromm here in our pet shops.i know its still a top brand. But if you do the math, its the same price if you buy raw (always frozen) as it goes by weight of the dog. Raw will eliminate your allergy issue. Even raw which I feed my 2 pups, I too do one protein at a time. If you're going with adult kibbles as it's not necessary to give puppy if you add a good fish oil (I prefer cod liver oil), tumeric n ginger to the kibbles on different days.do a journal n enter all what you feed her to keep track. Make sure you dont have grain treats either. Marrow bones are the best especially for teething. Raw of course!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome!!!

Agree with Helene--- find something with one protein

Acana
Orijen
Zingature
Fromm
Earthborn Holistic

If willing, the best is raw or dehydrated, like The Honest Kitchen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hazelsmama

Jan 26, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel
Thank you so much guys! Very helpful information. ā¤ļø

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Dehydrated raw is more convenient but more expensive and dog poos alot eg. grain free Honest Kitchen, Spot Farm, Grandma Lucy's, Only Natural EasyRaw et
Commercial ground up frozen raw is less convenient, but also less expensive and less poos.

Try to stay with raw, it's best for an allergic dog, but switch over gradually over a week or two, eg. morning meal give kibble, evening meal give raw. Start with easily digestible raw protein like turkey, duck or rabbit before you go to the harder to digest proteins like beef or pork.

OP
H

Hazelsmama

Jan 26, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel
Another quick thought... the vet recommended purĆ©ed pumpkin since we first got her. Do you think it could be that sheā€™s allergic to?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Another quick thought... the vet recommended purĆ©ed pumpkin since we first got her. Do you think it could be that sheā€™s allergic to?

Probably not the pumpkin, but you can try eliminating it. A good substitute for pumpkin is chia seeds- 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of your dogā€™s body weight. Feed in seed form, soaked in water or ground; sprinkle on top or mix into food. Look for milled, organic chia seeds whenever possible. Ground up vegetables like carrots, peas or green beans are also good.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.