Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So I have lost my connection to local frozen green bison tripe. The place I was getting it from doesn't sell it anymore and they will be switching to lamb tripe. Jax can't do lamb. I have done a Google search to try and find bison tripe elsewhere and so far the only place I can find it is online from Reel Raw. I was paying somewhere between $80-$90 for 20 pounds every 2 1/2 months or so with free delivery. Reel Raw would cost me about $165 for 20 pounds worth PLUS $50 in shipping. I really don't want to stop giving tripe (Jax can't do beef every day either) but this just seems so expensive. I'm not giving up and will be looking further before I spend the money with Reel Raw. In my search I did find a canned green bison tripe!? I know it's not as good as frozen raw but is it better than nothing while I continue on my hunt?

https://www.chewy.com/petkind-tripett-green-bison-tripe/dp/56011

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Just a thought................ I do the beef tripe but I only give for mabie 4 days a week. Been out for 2 weeks (store out of it) and he's fine. Gave him some of the good stuff sauerkraut, and even a fermented pickle. Just wondering if Your kids can do just a few days a week beef????

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just a thought................ I do the beef tripe but I only give for mabie 4 days a week. Been out for 2 weeks (store out of it) and he's fine. Gave him some of the good stuff sauerkraut, and even a fermented pickle. Just wondering if Your kids can do just a few days a week beef????

That's a good idea. I do give Jax beef periodically, he just can't have it every day but he should be fine a couple times a week. I just recently tried so I knew whether or not he could do the lamb tripe and it was a disaster. But I know Vital Essentials sells frozen beef tripe and I can get it at a local pet store.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So I have lost my connection to local frozen green bison tripe. The place I was getting it from doesn't sell it anymore and they will be switching to lamb tripe. Jax can't do lamb. I have done a Google search to try and find bison tripe elsewhere and so far the only place I can find it is online from Reel Raw. I was paying somewhere between $80-$90 for 20 pounds every 2 1/2 months or so with free delivery. Reel Raw would cost me about $165 for 20 pounds worth PLUS $50 in shipping. I really don't want to stop giving tripe (Jax can't do beef every day either) but this just seems so expensive. I'm not giving up and will be looking further before I spend the money with Reel Raw. In my search I did find a canned green bison tripe!? I know it's not as good as frozen raw but is it better than nothing while I continue on my hunt?

https://www.chewy.com/petkind-tripett-green-bison-tripe/dp/56011

Iā€™ve bought one can to try it on Nyala ā€˜s first bday. She loved it. Maybe I should have bought her a case on her 2nd bday since I forgot it!!! Lol. Dukeā€™s bday next week. Better start putting post it everywhere!!!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™ve bought one can to try it on Nyala ā€˜s first bday. She loved it. Maybe I should have bought her a case on her 2nd bday since I forgot it!!! Lol. Dukeā€™s bday next week. Better start putting post it everywhere!!!

Oh you definitely owe Nyala big time!! Sheā€™s probably telling Duke right now how mama is going to forget his birthday lol!

Okay, maybe I will try out the canned stuff AND get the frozen beef tripe as well and rotate them. Louie gets neutered next week so after that I think Iā€™ll start to give him raw for dinner. I have a bag of duck patties that Jax didnā€™t do well on so I saved them for Louie. Louie gets bits of raw when I make up Jaxā€™s meals for the week but heā€™s never had a full meal. Heā€™s going to love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tripe ?
Pickle?
Saurkraut?
what is this for

Theyā€™re all good probiotics. Tripe, make sure you get green which is unbleached. Sauerkraut, has to be the refrigerated kind, not canned. And pickle...thatā€™s a new one to me, never heard of giving a fermented pickle. Interesting.

If you try tripe beware...it stinks so bad and you should wear gloves while handling it or else your hands will stink. But itā€™s so good for them and they love it so to me, the stink is worth it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Theyā€™re all good probiotics. Tripe, make sure you get green which is unbleached. Sauerkraut, has to be the refrigerated kind, not canned. And pickle...thatā€™s a new one to me, never heard of giving a fermented pickle. Interesting.

If you try tripe beware...it stinks so bad and you should wear gloves while handling it or else your hands will stink. But itā€™s so good for them and they love it so to me, the stink is worth it.

Bang on!!!!

I know Dukeā€™s bday next week n Iā€™m so fregen busy with opening my webpage Iā€™m forgetting to walk them :). Iā€™m like OMG walking time...so I run out with them. Lol

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bang on!!!!

I should say that I learned the hard way cause the first time I handled the tripe, I did NOT wear gloves and OMG...I could not get the stench off of me.However, anytime I am making up the food and have everything laid out and the boyfriend comes into the kitchen, he starts gagging. Maybe I am just used to it by now. The things we do for these babies...

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
9E033DD1-94C1-4C1E-9342-572A66F72D4C.jpeg

He loves um and though it's not a whole pickle thing, I do give as a treat ;)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
and............. strange to me, but, mabie because it's frozen I don't smell it???? I still don't handle the tripe but dang!! mabie my nose is getting numb to this wonderful stuff we give our dogs... I don't think his "poop" stinks either ;) Ha!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
and............. strange to me, but, mabie because it's frozen I don't smell it???? I still don't handle the tripe but dang!! mabie my nose is getting numb to this wonderful stuff we give our dogs... I don't think his "poop" stinks either ;) Ha!

I have to defrost the tripe in order to break it up and portion out and then I freeze again. So when's it's semi thawed...you get the real stench of it! The dogs love it. And I can definitely tell the difference between Jax's poop (raw fed) and Louie's poop (kibble fed). I can't wait to start feeding raw to Louie for at least half of his meal. I have also noticed that Louie sheds like crazy and Jax doesn't so I bet the food makes the difference for that as well.

And I don't know about the dogs, but now you are making me want a pickle!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I have to defrost the tripe in order to break it up and portion out and then I freeze again. So when's it's semi thawed...you get the real stench of it! The dogs love it. And I can definitely tell the difference between Jax's poop (raw fed) and Louie's poop (kibble fed). I can't wait to start feeding raw to Louie for at least half of his meal. I have also noticed that Louie sheds like crazy and Jax doesn't so I bet the food makes the difference for that as well.

And I don't know about the dogs, but now you are making me want a pickle!

These pickles are WONDERFUL!!! I get them at sprouts :) And, this is gonna be a good one............. I take the frozen tripe outside in a baggie, lean it diagonally on the step so it's not flat against anything, take a hammer to it and break it up frozen.. :)

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
These pickles are WONDERFUL!!! I get them at sprouts :) And, this is gonna be a good one............. I take the frozen tripe outside in a baggie, lean it diagonally on the step so it's not flat against anything, take a hammer to it and break it up frozen.. :)

:ROFL:

Bella Bluenoser

Dec 11, 2017
Nova Scotia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Totally Raw, the company I buy my frozen green tripe from said there is a risk of breaking a tooth feeding it in a frozen state and there is no benefit of feeding it frozen, in their opinion it doesn't help to clean there teeth. They recommend allowing it to thaw a little and than cut the 1/2lb patties into whatever size you use, I buy the frozen bag of 10 x 1/2lb patties, allow it to thaw a little then cut the patties into quarters and refreeze these and give one a day with breakfast, Bella loves it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.